Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

ok just have to vent hope you guys dont mind...i got my band on may 23..lil over a month ago..i lost between 25 to 30 lbs, but just by diet alone...I have no restriction at all...The thing im getting frustrated about the most is i have a doctors appointment next week,but dont know when i get a fill...i cant do this on my own any longer..if i could i wouldnt of needed this ban...im tired of ground up chicken, Soup, salad etc..i have cheated once or twice,and thinking about cheating again..what should i do?

Bro I know how you feel. Like marjon9 said its called bandster hell ! I myself am doing it all on my own also. I have no restriction at all and can eat just about anything. I am just watching my intake and walking my bum off literally. I had a fill of 2cc last week,but it did absolutely nothing so am going on Friday again for another. Don't worry man we are all here for you ! Do what I do and suck on a sugar free ice pop lol.

ok just have to vent hope you guys dont mind...i got my band on may 23..lil over a month ago..i lost between 25 to 30 lbs, but just by diet alone...I have no restriction at all...The thing im getting frustrated about the most is i have a doctors appointment next week,but dont know when i get a fill...i cant do this on my own any longer..if i could i wouldnt of needed this ban...im tired of ground up chicken, Soup, salad etc..i have cheated once or twice,and thinking about cheating again..what should i do?

Hi BigJake, I know how you are feeling and I am sorry to say but i am 12 weeks post surgery and still no weight loss as a result of the band working. I have put on all the weight I lost as part of surgery (as you said I don't diet well, that is why I need the band). I have had three fills and still can eat as much as I want.

Can someone tell me if this is normal?

Six weeks after surgery;

First fill, 5 CC, I brought the Water back up so they took out 1 CC and I went home. within 48 hours I was able to eat whatever I wanted but did have to chew more. I would alo BP if I did not chew well enough.

Two Weeks later;

Second fill, 2 CC, within three days I was able to eat whatever i wanted but again had to slow down even more and chew even more. Still BPing whenever I ate too fast or did not chew well.

Two Weeks later;

Third fill, 1.5 CC, I thought thos one would work, I could feel the restriction and even struggled to get the water down before I left the offfice. It was tight, I could hardly eat anything. i had acid reflux the first night (I had no idea what that was until I read it here). I thought it was great, then I noticed my portions were growing, especially in the aftrennon. In the morning it was tight and restrictive and by evening it had loosened up. i am now over eating again.

I have a fill booked for next week, I am hoping this is the one that does it.

Is this normal? It is very frustrating, I want to get on with it!

Thanks

Dumpling

Dumpling,

Probably not what you want to hear but I am 4 months post op and still have very little restriction. I think you said you have the big band. I do as well. A couple of possibilities here.

1. you could be someone who has a sensativity to inflame when they touch your stomach. So when the Dr. fills you, you inflame and get very tight. Then the it goes down and you can drive a truck through. The Dr. has to go slow on the fills to get you to the "sweet spot" without hurting you. Extended Bandster hell.

2. I have had times with restriction but on this last one I have little to no restriction now. This will be my 5th fill on Monday and I am hoping to have him put a lot more in. However, I have lost 75 pounds so far so I know that means some of the fat around my stomach is gone too making the band a bit loser.

I know where you are coming from but my Dr. said it can take from 6 to 8 months to get you to the right restriction and make sure he isn't doing harm. Frustrating I agree, but everyone in our support group says once you hit the 6 months it suddenly changes. Yet to get there but we shall see.

Hey guys...

I'm not banded but, I have meeting with Dr. on Monday. I have been doing the requisite research and learning all I can about the surgery, etc. However, everytime my wife and I talk about my weight and the surgery, she thinks that I'm taking the easy way out and that I'm quitting and that she thinks all I need to do is eat salads and start working out. It really hurts me (sorry..I know, it's a 'guys' board and this statement sounds 'unmanly') to the point that I'm starting to wonder if she will support me at all in this process and post-op.

She is going to go, reluctantly, to the Dr. with me Monday but, the lack of support and understanding from my own wife concerns me...any one else out there have this issue?

ck

Hi all - just wanted to report that I am back from being banded

I was banded shortly after 1pm with the large AP band and am doing just fine. I did have to stay one extra night because i started having massive chest pains about 30 min before being discharged. They thought maybe I had had a Pulmonary embolism so everone and their mother came crashing into my room. I was rushed to numerous tests etc but all came back negative. By the time the last blood gas was drawn 8pm, they decided to keep me another night. Just as well i was really tired from being poked and prodded from for the previous 12 hours. I can honestly say with the exception of the major shoulder pain i had immediately in the recovery room, i have been fairly pain free. the jostling on the car ride home sort of sucked but now i am doing great. Dr said for me to get back on the treadmill starting tomorrow.

On a seperate note - dr said my liver was in pristine condition and was so small from the liquid diet he didnt even need to manipulate it to place the band. I also saw my band on the flouro the next day. pretty cool.

thanks for everyone for their support.

Congrats bigsexy! Glad your scare wasn't seroius. The treadmill will do wonders for the gas. It will get better each day.

zinthar- guess I was lucky to have a supporting wife (she was banded 2/22/07). The band is not the easy way out. You will still have to watch what you eat and drink as well as excersise. The band will help suppress your appetite. Good luck in winning her support!

I think the key to the band working is Portion Control. My wife and I use small plates. Put the 3-4 oz of Protein and the 1/2 cup (or so) of veggies on it. Eat very slow setting your fork down after each bite and chew. When you finish what's on your plate, don't eat another bite for 20 minutes. Most of the time, you will have satisfied your appetite. If you are eating out, get your "to go box" as soon as you get your food and only leave the proper portion on your plate and take the rest home. My band doesn't all of a sudden say "Stop!" (well maybe it does immediately after a fill), but it's more of a subtle feeling.

Another thing I do is drink Water right up until I start to eat. As a matter of fact, I make it a point to drink some water just before eating.

Stand Strong Brothers!

Bruce

Hi all. this is my first time posting here. I have not had anyfeels yet and am looking forward to one jake i hear ya. I have no restriction as well but am getting my first fill mon. and can't wait. I think all the weight that i have lost so far is from dieting alone. I just wanted to ask all of you guys who have been banded for a time to post some photoscause it is hard to find very many B&A's of guys. It keeps me modivated to see it works if u work it.

Just checking in - congrats bigshow - you are well on your way. Although newly banded - i think discipline is the key to band success. You have been successful thus far on your own. the fill is only going to help you stay on track. It is too early for me to post any before and after pics but i will as soon as i feel the weightloss is showing.

On a side note - I am 5 days out now and can already sleep on my belly!!! most of the pain was gone after the first 2 days and I stopped taking the elixor after i got home from the hospital. I am dropping weight like mad. Down 10lbs since surgery. I imagine that this will slow sooner than later but i am riding the ride as long as I can. Keep up the good work guys.

One question - the only irritance i have had so far are hiccups. Whenever i change position from sitting to reclining or side to side my diaphragm starts to spasm and i get sort of painfull hiccups. Anyone have experience with these?

Also just realized that it is a new month - I would like to repeat the June exercise challenge if anyone is up to it. 40 Miles by the end of the month.

A guys thread. Thank God I found you. I feel like I was the only guy out there. Glad to find you.

A guys thread. Thank God I found you. I feel like I was the only guy out there. Glad to find you.

Nope your not alone ! Welcome to the guys thread !

Welcome 4RE4ME! There really are a few of us out there. Why there isn't more, I don't know.

Bigshow- your doing great! I'm a little "old school" on putting pics out there in cyber space, besides the younger bucks take a better picture than an old fart like me...

What's everyone doing tomorrow? My wife is out of town, so I think I'm either going to a baseball game or a BBQ competition a couple hour drive from here. Last year I judged a BBQ event, can't eat enough this year. Can still sample some of it...

Have a great 4th!!

Bruce

Dumpling,

Probably not what you want to hear but I am 4 months post op and still have very little restriction. I think you said you have the big band. I do as well. A couple of possibilities here.

1. you could be someone who has a sensativity to inflame when they touch your stomach. So when the Dr. fills you, you inflame and get very tight. Then the it goes down and you can drive a truck through. The Dr. has to go slow on the fills to get you to the "sweet spot" without hurting you. Extended Bandster hell.

2. I have had times with restriction but on this last one I have little to no restriction now. This will be my 5th fill on Monday and I am hoping to have him put a lot more in. However, I have lost 75 pounds so far so I know that means some of the fat around my stomach is gone too making the band a bit loser.

I know where you are coming from but my Dr. said it can take from 6 to 8 months to get you to the right restriction and make sure he isn't doing harm. Frustrating I agree, but everyone in our support group says once you hit the 6 months it suddenly changes. Yet to get there but we shall see.

Thanks Jonathan for the reply.

So if you are not feeling much restriction how did you lose 75 lbs?

I am at the same weight now as my pre-op weight. I go tomorrow for my forth fill. I have my fingers crossed. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Hey guys...

I'm not banded but, I have meeting with Dr. on Monday. I have been doing the requisite research and learning all I can about the surgery, etc. However, everytime my wife and I talk about my weight and the surgery, she thinks that I'm taking the easy way out and that I'm quitting and that she thinks all I need to do is eat salads and start working out. It really hurts me (sorry..I know, it's a 'guys' board and this statement sounds 'unmanly') to the point that I'm starting to wonder if she will support me at all in this process and post-op.

She is going to go, reluctantly, to the Dr. with me Monday but, the lack of support and understanding from my own wife concerns me...any one else out there have this issue?

ck

Hey Zinthar, my wife was the same way, she said the whole band thing was just taking the easy way out but I went ahead anyway.

Now all I have to do is lose the weight and keep it off or she will nag me the rest of my life. I look at this as additional motivation ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide, just be warned that it may take some time to actually get the band work (I am three month and counting).

Cheers

Aloha CK

Sorry to hear about your wife giving you a hard time. If the shoe was on the other foot we (us men) would be called dirty rotten bastards among other thing. If it were her and you were not 100% behind her all the ladies would be saying leave that SOB, your to good for him, he doesn't understand so--so--and so. What is she afraid of? may she is afraid that if you drop the weight and start working out and get all sexy that you would leave her (now that's an idea) Sorry to vent Bro. but I jsut get mad about things like that. Now as for me, my wife was behind me all the way, and after reading and finding out about the Band she is having hers done in Aug. and I'm getting mine on the 11th. of July. So good luck and hang in there.

Aloha