Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

So, I can't wear my slacks anymore. They're all falling off and being held up by the belt (with 3 extra holes punched in it). I decided to go get a few pair of pants before I embarrassed myself. ;)

I was surprised to discover that Casual Male XL only goes down to 40-42. I've just about worked myself out of the store! Happy days...

ck,

Sorry to hear of your problems. I know where you're coming from -- my EX wife was a skinny little thing that never understood what being overweight was like. All I can offer is my sympathy (and the number of my lawyer ;))

Hi all, and Happy 4th of July to you all !!!!!:usa2:

I see you guys are doing great, and there is a lot of new guys here too.. I'm still losing but is real slow going..I haven't lost a thing in almost a month..but on the flip side I didn't gain ether..I did go through my closet and got rid of 4 pair of paints and 12 or so shirts that were way to big for me now.. I guess I'm loosing inches and not so much weight.:cry I think I'm one of the lucky few that has had only one fill so far, and I don't think I'll need a second one for a long time. Before my fill I was starving all the time, but after the fill I have no hunger pains at all, and thats great:whoo:...Well got to go and fire up the BBQ for lunch, the wife wants BBQ oysters..:hungry: Talk to you all later,be safe tonight !!!

Had my fill appointment yesterday and the doc said i was losing fast enough that i did not need a fill. anyone else in here have this happen to them? it is kinda cool but a little worried as to that i won't be able to lose as fast as i want to. but it is probally good for me.well yall have a safe and happy 4th and have good eats.

Had my fill appointment yesterday and the doc said i was losing fast enough that i did not need a fill. anyone else in here have this happen to them? it is kinda cool but a little worried as to that i won't be able to lose as fast as i want to. but it is probally good for me.well yall have a safe and happy 4th and have good eats.

My Doc asked me to skip on the fill for the same reason and I said hell no ! I am busting my hump and think the little extra help is nice. I am actually going for another fill in less than 2 weeks.

BIGSHOW81, Why don't you think you can't go lower then 265lbs ?? My Reg Doc asked me what my goal was and I told him 200-210lbs and he was OK with that, And I'm 6' 6"....I really don't think that's to thin for our height..scene , I've been over 300 for years, I can't Waite to be called to thin....Good luck !!

Week out of surgery and I got the okay to play golf again. Woo HOO!!!! I am very happy about that and the weight i have dropped. Have a great weekend. I know what i will be doing!!!!:clap2:

Good Morning to All,

Well I've poked arond this forum for a while...made a couple posts...but this is my first post in the "Man Cave". (Yes..I stole that from Tony Siragusa's show!) Anyway... get my band on the 24th...and just curious on any male specific experiences and/or weight loss results I should keep in the back of my mind for say the 6 month to 12 month range??

Let me apologize now...as I'm feeling lazy today and didn't feel up to reading thru 55 pages of text...just in case the answers are already there.

You see...my biggest concern is not that I'll lose weight...but that I won't lose enough. I'm 5'6"...and yesterday at my pre-op nutritional class I weighed 293#. My goal...is the 180#-190# range. It will kill me if I can only get to say...225#. I'm not trying to get down to the 120-150# range the stupid charts say I should be at. I mean I haven't been 150# since junior high! But...I'd like to think I can break and maintian the 200# mark...with enough padding that a 5# gain doesn't make the "1" change to a "2" on the ol' weight odometer.

I've had great weight loss success in the past when I've cut my calories and carbs down...quick drinking beer...and got off my backside and on the treadmill. I typically get to right around the 200# range...but then start stuffing my face and crashing on the couch...and end up where I started. So I figure if I can at least get the portions cut down...I should be able to have success with a reasonable effort.

I've noticed some posting for guys who look to be in about the same starting place and their tickers show some great progress...but just curious if anyone similar to my own build has been able to get to and maintain their weight at around 180#-190#? When I do any research...all I read about is the majority of people being in the 40-50% of excess body weight range. I assume that's both men and women...so I'm trying to find any male specific stats...

Another question...and not trying to prove that this is all we think about...but my wife even asked about how long post surgery is typical before continuing "relations" so to speak....and when we do...if special considerations are typical...such as position?

Anyway...that's for the time and the thread...and a special thanks to anyone who chimes in to my queries.

Have a good one.

Bud in Indy

BIGSHOW81, Why don't you think you can't go lower then 265lbs ?? My Reg Doc asked me what my goal was and I told him 200-210lbs and he was OK with that, And I'm 6' 6"....I really don't think that's to thin for our height..scene , I've been over 300 for years, I can't Waite to be called to thin....Good luck !!

Like most people on here i have gained and lost 1000+ lbs. last time i got down to 250 and that was a very low weight for me. Ihave aot of muscle and is hard to get to low. but good luck to you too

Welcome Bud! Congrats on your date.

My before stats are similar to yours ('cept I have a couple years on you). I'm 5'8" and started at 288 on 1/15/07. I tend to lose weight in bunches. Won't lose anything, then, boom, a lb. a day for a week. My rate of lose has slowed which is not totally unexpected. I have arthritis which makes vigorous exercise very difficult on some days. I still try to hit the recumbant bike 3 times a week.

The 40-50% concerned me too. Then you consider that those stats include all people. Some aren't motivated (lots of threads at this site prove that), some aren't able to exercise, some have "head issues", etc.

I will lose if I follow these rules:

1. Don't drink while eating and for 1 hour after eating. I do drink right up to the first bite, however.

2. Avoid the high calorie/ high carb stuff. Breads, rice, potatoes, sugars, and starches fit into that catagory. I follow kind of a loose Atkins program. Not as strict, but definitely low carb. When I low carb, I find my cravings are not nearly as high as when I don't.

3. Put my food on a small plate (~4 oz meat and ~1/2 cup veggies), eat it and that's it, no more. Remember to take small pieces and chew it well or it will get stuck and it WILL hurt.

4. Keep your band adjusted. This is important because it will help a lot with hunger.

Some one said follow most of the rules most of the time and you will be OK. I think that's true. I'm sure I'd be at a lower weight if I followed all these rules all the time, but I'm human too. I've had ice cream a few times (maybe 5) and I've had a couple drinks maybe an equal number of times. But I also remember I paid a lot of money to have this operation, so I damn well want it to work.

I'm sure you've heard most of this before, but the band will work for you if you work with the band. It can do little on it's own.

Good luck and maybe some of you other guys can "weigh in" (pardon the pun).

Bruce

I just wanted to drop in my experience so far.

I started at 275 and I'm now at 228. A total of 47 pounds. that's not bad at all. the lowest I've ever been in life was 189. Yes, it makes a different, because it killed me to pass that 190 mark. :-D

With the band, I enjoy all types of food. I think that's why I haven't lost as much as other people. I'm only 24, so it's hard to control myself. I do go to the gym a few days a week, and that helps form my body. My brother was at about 415lbs when he did the gastric. Now he's at 220. I may be 7 pounds more than him, but I still look a bit bigger becuase I work out, and I have a lot more muscle than he does.

The number one tip to everyone, try to hit the weights as much as possible. If you begin working out at the gym, don't be scared when you gain a pound or two. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. I know that I now can control my appetite, and moderate my weight around a certain level, so when i gain a pound, I know it's because of the extra muscle.

I also work at a law firm in Houston, and go to law school, so life does become a bit stressful at times, which is never good for weight loss. My friends say they love being depressed because they lose weight! HA! i wish that was the case for me.

Feel free to contact me and ask any questions, I love to talk about others' journey.

Brewa & Law...thanks for the insights. I really believe that this can work for me...based on my past. In the last 20 yrs...I've lost over 60 lbs about 10-12 times...3 of those losing over 100. My best success has also been with a modified Atkins (lower...but not low fat, low carb, lots of Water and an hour on the treadmill per day).

I'm focused and fired up...as I know this is one of those do or die moments...literally. I currently don't have any chronic health issues besides high BP and sleep apnea...but I turn 39 next month...and my dad had his first heart attack at 40...my mom at 46...and both died in their 50s. Not the legacy I want to leave my wife and son.

I know this is going to be the hardest thing I've done...but hard does not matter to me. I'm at the point I'll crawl a mile across jagged glass while someone pouring salt all over me...as long as at the end of the day my health is improved...my life is extended to a more normal range...I can buy a pair of jeans at a normal store...and I have a legitimate chance of keeping the weight off.

I have to admit I have one other motivation...and that is to be an example of others that Lap Band can and does work. What I have found is that at hospital I am having my procedure, there are very few Lap Band patients. 99.9% are RnY. I want to be that one guy in the support meeting that a person considering bariatric options can look to and say, "Maybe I should take a closer look at the Lap Band?" I guess I feel that way b/c I've had several try to push me toward RnY...and I want to prove them all wrong.

A side question for Brewa2000....your last name is not Brewer by chance? If so...where does your family come from? I'm a Brewer with roots in Southeastern KY...but I was born and raised in Indiana.

Oh...if anyone else would like to chime in as well... I'd appreciate it!!

Take care. Have a great day and a better weekend!

Bud in Indy

Hi Ted

Dave here and I live in central valley area if California town of Lathrop. Thats about 60 miles due south of Sacramento. My addiction was and still is sugar sweet goodies. I was banded in Mexico about four years ago and lost 40+ pounds, but over time I started back on the sweet again and have put thirty back on again. I was wondering if anyone has ever try'd "Chromium" supliments? I here that it works well for people like me with sugar issues. I just ordered today some to try them out. We'll chat again I am sure.

Dave

I used to BREW beer and being WAshington, I contracted the two, hench "Brewa". With the determination you have expressed, I'm sure you will succeed.

Law- Your doing great. Eventually I will be able to do the weights. I have a Crossbow, it's a knockoff of a Bowflex by Weider. Right now I'm having shoulder issues. Damn arthritits...

Everyone have a great weekend!

Bruce