Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

Hi my name is David im 31yrs old

I just had the band put in on 5/21/07 and just the 2 week pre surgery liquid diet and till today Im down 15lbs hope it continues once I get in to it more.

Bnaded by Dr. Christne Ren in NYU New York

you should do the bypass instead because the band or the port could get knocked out of place. My surgeon told me that she had a case where the port had do be re stitched because of a minor car accident.

as far as the lifting goes they tell you not to lift anything more then 10lbs the first 2 weeks of getting banded.

I think most of the port problems happen relatively soon after beening banded. After a couple months, you will be as good as ever and lighter. In the past 3 months, I've been handling 50+ lb bags of seed every day and I hardly know my port is there anymore. I do notice it a little when our saint bernard dog lays on my stomach while I'm in bed. I think you could do a lot more damage to your body (stroke, heart attack) trying to rescue some one as an obese person than you would as a much lighter banded person.

Bigsexy- My father-in-law ask if I was going to quit brewing. I told him I'd do some for him and a couple others. Not drinking beer really hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would. I went to a brewers meeting last month and drank Water while they sampled their lastest. Didn't bother me not to join them. OK, maybe it hurt a little when my friend was pouring his latest Czech Pils.

BWD- I imagine you could stub your toe on your surf board, huh?

Stand strong brothers!

Bruce

I was banded May 1st, and I did my first push mowing and yard work yesterday.

I felt a little aching around my port as I was finishing up but nothing major and it went away.:)

Speaking of beer, (and alcohol in general) what advice has everyone else been given post op? My diet sheet said no alcohol for 2 years !:omg:

But I suspect that is the same instructions that are given to their Gastric Bypass.

What were you told about alcohol?

Johnny

Rep- I'm sure you'll catch up, the second fill really helped me. I had a couple nice losses over the past month. I tend to lose in bunches, then nothing for a while. Still have a "spare tire" around my belly and the guy boobs. When do they go away or at least shrink?

Johnny- Congrats on being banded. Feels good to go out and do some exercise, doesn't it? My doc says no booze until you reach your goal. I have had a couple JD and waters maybe 3 or 4 times since I started preop (1/15/07).

If you guys would like, we could start a new Mens' Challenge on 6/1. Rep will be ready after his second fill. This is for fun only and we can root each other on. Every one's a loser! I'd love to keep the BEST thread at this site active.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Bruce

well i was banded on Wed. and of course im on my liquid stage. It wouldnt be so bad if everyone and there brother wasnt Grilling outside for the holiday weekend and i can smell the burgers in the air,but im hanging in there...Heres my question...i know im supose to have liquids, ive been eating chicken broth and stuff like that,but am i pushing it if i make egg drop soup..ive been eating that just to break it up a little bit..also i made a choclate protien shake with just a bit of peanutbutter mixed in ..is that too much?

at my 6th day I went to the Dr's and they told me I could start bringing in the mushies. My fav is egg white omlet with fine chopped up green pepper and a slice of fake cheese melted on it. less than 100 calories and healthy ! :)

that sounds pretty good,but i dont go to my docs until next week.... so i guess ill stay on the liquids for now...One mistake i just made was i tried to go into work lastnight and made it half way through the night,but around 3 am my ribs,stomach and shoulder felt like i had a knife in them....i went home made some tea,and chicken broth..i couldnt lay down right away..maybe it was to soon to go into work.

brewa2000 - dr okayed me to continue drinking beer but no cabonation for at least a year. As i think you are aware i brew and manage a cellar for a living so i "have " to drink.....errrrr - i at least have to taste for a living. Anyway he was fine with beer in limited quantities and but again stressed no carbonation for a year. The brew this weekend went off w/o a hitch - ended up brewing 2 batches - an american cream ale and a ryepa. Presently I am working on taking the ryepa to one of our commercial brews but unfortunately the general public just can't get past the rye part. you would be suprissed how many people think it will taste like a piece of rye bread.

anyway - onto lap band info. Have my preop appointment next week - and then surgery at the end of the month. Already started replacing some of my meals with protien shakes (EAS) to get used to the liquid diet. It is amazing how much weight i have lost just from that despite eating like normal at dinner. Starting back in on exercise today. I am doing the program one of the women mentioned in one of the other posts. basically working up to a 5k run. keep up the good work guys. I would be interested in starting a weight loss/exercise challenge for June if anyone is interested

Hiya. Newbie here, banded 5/21. Glad to see a guy's thread here.

I won't have a fill by June and don't have much restriction now, but I'm up for a June challenge. I always focus better when it's a competition ;)

You can have egg flower Soup. It was on my list of liquids right after surgery. I bought mine at a Chinese place and there were peas in there, but I spit them out. It really helped me get through the liquid stage.

Sorry to butt into the guys thread. had to see what you were all up to.

At least this will bump the thread up!

Congrats BigJake! You should be feeling a lot better by now. I had the egg drop Soup a couple times. I also had the hot and sour soup. Both were a good break from chicken broth.< /p>

bigsexy-one of the guys in our group turned out some great rye beers. That's the fun thing about homebrewing, you can let your imagination create some inovative beers. I've decided to try a little wine making this fall. We have tons of wine grapes in the area and one of the guys in our group said he'd help me out. Now I need to decide what style...

Welcome Manatee. Let us know how your progress goes.

Bruce

Gentlemen, I have a question.

I just went for my first fill last Friday, they put in 5 cc which I understand is pretty standard for the first fill. I went out and drank maybe 2 to 3 ounces of Water, it came back up. This meant that the band was too full and therefore they took 1 cc out.

This all makes sense to me except for the fact that I feel very little restriction. As long as i take small bites and chew well i can eat whatever i want. I was surprised at this, can 1 cc make that much of a difference?

has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

Dave

It is weird but even 1/2 cc can make the difference between getting liquids down or not. My first fill was similiar to yours but just go with it and on the second one he will probably get it tuned in. This last fill was so tight that I still can't gulp liquids or I get it back and I have to eat really slow or else it comes back up. My doctor uses fluroscope to adjust. This last fill has lasted two months and I'm still pretty tight.