Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

I don't think the band was unnecessary, as there is still some restriction, its more of a mental reminder to eat with limits. As for my daily diet, I typically eat:

Breakfast:

A Quaker Oat Granola bar (low fat)

Lunch:

tuna or chicken salad on a bed of lettuce with a couple slices of pepper jack

Dinner:

Mostly a lean meat dish, like turkey meatloaf or salmon steak and a side veggie (broccoli or spinach)

My workout routine:

Day 1: Biceps, triceps and forearms

Day 2: Chest and shoulders

Day 3: Back and calves

Day 4 (if I work out a 4th): Typically abs, lower back and traps

If you want a more thorough breakdown, send me a private message and I can give specific exercises and weights/reps/sets

Guys - what is the deal with all these people in other forums that continuously post a "woe is me" "i'm not losing" type post. despite not yet being banded - logic tells me that it is work to lose weight. After all the band isnt around our brains. there are people who post continuously that they are only eating 1000 cal a day blah blah blah and haven't lost a lb. My theory is this - 1. they are lying to themselves about the caloric intake or 2. they are lying to themselves about the caloric intake.

I may be way out in left field but i'm having a terrible time understanding why these people just don't get it. hopefully i won't be the same post banding.

Denial isn't a river in Egypt if you know what I mean. People only admit to what they aren't ashamed to admit to. The band isn't a magic pill, it requires a behavior change.

Figured I would give a little update on my loss so far. Since pre op on 4/27 I have lost 38 lbs. Less than a month woohoo ! I am thinking the key so far is exercise ! I walk everyday at least 1.5-2 miles and today I actually walked 5 miles.;) Good Luck Guys !

OK, I might as well weigh in on this thread as I am waiting for a date. Everything is done except for the nutrition meeting next Monday. They will not set a date until after the nutrition meeting, so I am hoping the date will be at least by early July.

Starting at 430 for my welcome to medicare physical April 24. I had lost from about that point to 398 on Atkins in spring of 2006 before spending 9 months working in New Orleans living in a hotel and gained it all back, again.

Over the years, I have lost several clones of me on Atkins but no long term net loss.

My LB doctor requires a 2 week liver shrinking liquid diet before surgery and they will not give me any information until the nutrition meeting.

For you that have done the pre surgery liquid diet, is something like Atkins canned shakes acceptable for that period or even productive? Is beef and chicken broth with Protein powder better? Or should I go with egg drop Soup from the local chinese restaurant with Protein Powder added? Or all of the above?

I would like to hear from some of you guys in addition and in advance of a clinical nutritionist.

An additional topic or two.

My Doctor and his group recommend Crystal Light for a drink with this LB long term regimen. I love CL peach tea but have become a little alarmed about the aspartame. I have read that aspartame works on the brain to increase head hunger. Anyone have any information about this?

So many foods available at restaurants and in grocery stores have MSG in them now and I read that the glutemate in MSG causes a brain reaction that also causes weight gain. Nyone have any information on that as well?

Jim

jim -

my dr requires a preop liquid diet of 10 days. Here is what the nutritionist gave me. Protien shake like eas, Unjury or adkins, Calories under 150 with protien btw 15-20. I like eas carb advantage and unjury. but i go with eas because it available at my local cosco/bjs. then light yogurt between meals. i eat the yoplait 90 cal stuff. you can have broth of any kind and non caloric liquids.

i have found another drink mix that was right next to crystal lite that uses splenda but i can't remember the name off hand. there are supposedly other drinks that use stevia but i have not found them. i don't worry too much about the aspartame and drink the ruby red grapefruit cl all the time.

will edit the post with the name of the splenda based drink later.

Quick question guys.

How long do we have to wait after surgery to have sex? :nervous

Myself and the woman are wondering :help:.

wait until your comfortable. I would think a week or so and you'll be fine as long as you don't plan to swing from the chandeliers! ;)

wait until your comfortable. I would think a week or so and you'll be fine as long as you don't plan to swing from the chandeliers! ;)

:cry oh damn and I was all about doing the chandelier trick. :) thnx from me and the woman O! :Banane46:time lol

Hey Guys!

Been a little slow here at "Guys Only". Anybody got any exciting plans for the weekend? Nothing too exciting for us. I plan on watching Indy, a Sunday BBQ and I do have a bunch of stuff to do around the "ranch". Definitely won't be on the road.

I hope all you guys have a great and safe weekend (especially Chris in case he tries the acrobatic thing).

Bruce

well the wife and child are headed out west for a week so i will be bach'in it. Plan to golf sat, sun, mon and brew beer on monday afternoon. It will be tough giving up beer after i am banded but i will keep brewing anyway.

Good to talk to guys about this, if there is any guys out there today please write back got a few questions about the band and activity in the bedroom, my wife has asked some questions that I don't know the answer to.

BWD

Hey Guys,

Here is a real specific question. Once you get the band and drop the weight get in shape, etc can you damage your stomach with strong exertion like carrying a casualty IE dragging someone from a burning building, buddy carry etc? Anyone have any experience wearring concealable armor and doing a lot of running and jumping chasing bad guys etc?

Just curious. Could impact my job down the road. We do a lot of training on occasion and i am worried that repeated body carry/drag drills woudl tear something.

Little help?

WOW! Great question never thought about that kind of stuff, as for me I live on the edge too. Last week I got a real bad paper cut from a folder LOL Just wanted to pull your chain a little, All kidding aside that is a very good question, wish I knew the answer, will be interested to see the answer's. Good Luck and be careful out there and thanks for doing what you do for all of us with the paper cuts and paper clip pokes.

Aloha

BWD

Hey Guys,

Here is a real specific question. Once you get the band and drop the weight get in shape, etc can you damage your stomach with strong exertion like carrying a casualty IE dragging someone from a burning building, buddy carry etc? Anyone have any experience wearring concealable armor and doing a lot of running and jumping chasing bad guys etc?

Just curious. Could impact my job down the road. We do a lot of training on occasion and i am worried that repeated body carry/drag drills woudl tear something.

Little help?

I am in the same situation with the fire thing. I am on leave from it for now but go back to the Dr's in a few weeks to ask that question.