Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New, Wanted To Say Hi!

Hi all, my name is Jessica from Knoxville TN. I had my RNY on 1/9/12, so I am nine weeks out. I started my journey in June of 2011 and weighed 205 with horrible diabetes, acid reflex, and high cholesterol. I had lost weight on my preop diet and went into surgery weighing 190. I mainly made the decision for wls to help with the diabetes, all my doctors were telling me I would be dead in 5 years if I didn't do something. Well still have the diabetes, even though it's better controlled, it sucks. I thought being fairly young 28 at time of surgery and not too heavy, I would breeze through recovery. Of course not the case. I was perfectly fine at three weeks out, but then went down hill from there. I started getting horrible headaches, my blood pressure dropped dangerously low, my muscles hurt and ached all over, my body wasn't absorbing my antidepressant (cymbalta, so withdrawal symptoms), I couldn't get out of bed I was so weak and depressed. I spent another week in the hospital week 7, to help all my symptoms. I originally took 8 weeks off of work ( I'm a restaurant manager, on my feet all day). But I had to take an additional week due to being so weak from laying in hospital for a week. I have thrown up every meal since being in the hospital, i know i need to slow down and take smaller bites, but i get so hungry. Anyone else hungry this soon out? I am now down to 161 so a 43 pound loss from my heaviest. Not so bad i guess. Wow I hope I haven't bored anyone, just want to give you a glimpse of my journey, and to let you all know I'm here for you and if I can help in any way let me know. Hopefully when I have questions u all can help. Take care and thanks for reading.

Congratulations on your weight loss. Are you doing better now. It seems the more stories I read they kinda sound the same. People are not doing to well in the beginning. I spent a total of 1 week in the hospital. What kind of foods are you eating. How long were you on your liquid diet after surgery. How much do you work out. How do you feel now.

Thank u. I was on a liquid diet for longer than I really needed to be. I found it easier to just grab a Protein Shake and call it a meal than having to cook. I'm the culinary manager at the restaurant I work for, but go figure I never took to cooking at home. I have to mention I also went to PA for three weeks to spend time with my mom while I was off work, and its hard to cook when it's someone else's kitchen/ groceries. I probably did a liquid diet for a total of six weeks. I am now eating low sugar oatmeal for Breakfast, lunch meat, cheese, miracle whip rolled up for lunch and then whatever for dinner that my husband makes, but I've not kept dinner down for 4 days now. I defently can't do chicken, and shrimp is a bit rough. Fatty foods don't bother me and high carbs don't either, trying to keep sugar low though. I was able to eat honey BBQ baby back ribs last night. They were good and hopefully the leftovers will be too. I am now feeling better. We are in the process of changing by antidepressant from cymbalta to Effexor, (time release medicine doesn't work with our surgery. You think someone would of changed it before the surgery.) so I'm experiencing a bit of headache from the withdrawals of the cymbalta. I haven't been able to exercise at all since week three because of all my complications. I'm hoping to go back to the gym on Monday. Any suggestions on a workout plan? Need motivation to go!

Thank u. I was on a liquid diet for longer than I really needed to be. I found it easier to just grab a Protein shake and call it a meal than having to cook. I'm the culinary manager at the restaurant I work for' date=' but go figure I never took to cooking at home. I have to mention I also went to PA for three weeks to spend time with my mom while I was off work, and its hard to cook when it's someone else's kitchen/ groceries. I probably did a liquid diet for a total of six weeks. I am now eating low sugar oatmeal for breakfast, lunch meat, cheese, miracle whip rolled up for lunch and then whatever for dinner that my husband makes, but I've not kept dinner down for 4 days now. I defently can't do chicken, and shrimp is a bit rough. Fatty foods don't bother me and high carbs don't either, trying to keep sugar low though. I was able to eat honey BBQ baby back ribs last night. They were good and hopefully the leftovers will be too. I am now feeling better. We are in the process of changing by antidepressant from cymbalta to Effexor, (time release medicine doesn't work with our surgery. You think someone would of changed it before the surgery.) so I'm experiencing a bit of headache from the withdrawals of the cymbalta. I haven't been able to exercise at all since week three because of all my complications. I'm hoping to go back to the gym on Monday. Any suggestions on a workout plan? Need motivation to go![/quote']

Do you like fish. I wonder if fish would go down better. I was on welbutrin but I took myself off day after surgery bc I have a fear of swallowing pills now bc with the lapband they always got stuck. I would have thought they would have changed it. Lol sometimes Dr. Don't pay attention. I hope you feel better soon. My husband bought me a elliptical n we just put it together so I'm gonna do that 15 minutes. And he bought me weights so I cam tone. They have apps for different exercises.

Wish I had your husband! LOL.. I go back to work today, so my husband let me buy a few new shirts, but they were buy one get one free at old navy, I got 10 shirts for like $40. Not bad. I love shellfish and I'm so so on fish. I like salmon, but scared to try it. I was thinking of trying it at work tonight, that way if I get sick on it, at least I didn't pay for it. LOL. Well I hope you enjoy your eliptical and weights. Defiantly start as soon as u can. I haven't really gotten to exercise and I have saggy skin everywhere it's gross. You are young so you should just tone right up. Didn't make it to the gym today because of my headache, but defiantly tomarrow. Have a good day.

Thanks hun. I love love love seafood, shrimp,lobster tails, fish, but I love steak and ribs to so hopefully I won't have a problem come the fourth of July. Keeping my fingers cross. Can you take Tylenol for your headache. I got really saggy skin when I had the lap band but I wasn't working out then bc I lost my weight by always being sick. And my boobs looked so disgusting it was embarrassing. Also my girl part got very loose. As soon as I gained my weight back it snapped back lol. While I was in the hospital and I would fart or use the bathroom it stunk so bad I would actually throw up lol. Now its not to bad just really painful. I wish there were people like you in my area I could hang out with.

Hello Diddle...welcome to the boards :) I'm just starting my new process...lapband was removed in 2/2010. I went back to my surgeon for the RNY in October but, have decided to go with a new bariatric center. Attended my first meeting today and ready to start the testing and appointments :)

How are you feeling?

Do you like this surgeon/ group better than your last? How long of a process do u think it will be? Best of luck! Oh yes u asked how I was feeling, well I'm doing ok except for my horrible headache, think I can blame it on withdrawal symptoms from coming off of my cymbalta. Hopefully it won't last too long. Besides that I'm doing ok. Thanks for asking!!!

So my first two days back to work were a success. Maybe not up to my boss's standards but success is me making it through with no major medical issues. I found its a bit harder to get my fluids and Protein in. Well I guess when you sit home on your ass for 9 weeks and all you have to accomplish each day is to hit a goal of fluids and protein it really isn't that hard. Lol. I will need to make a better plan for this. I am drinking Decaf coffee, do u know if that counts towards fluids? I'll have to research that. I am off already today so that's nice. I work Thursday and then off again on Friday. So it's kinda broken up for me this week which is nice. Went to doctors appointment today, lost another three pounds. I only have 23 pounds left till goal. I pray I Hit it. Defiantly going to gym with husband today and then will take our little girl swimming in pool when we are done with our workout. I just have to make it a daily thing. So when they said preop to practice taking small bites and eating slow, I now wish I listened. For some reason I'm having a hard time getting this concept down. Hope all is well.

If you get 2, 15 min breaks n a lunch maybe you can get your Protein down during your breaks. Decaf coffee does count. I drink it all the time. I went to the Dr. Yesterday ive lost 19lbs since 2/22. Today is my birthday so yesterday we went to eat. I chewed the food then spit it out. It was so hard but it did taste good. Your almost to your Goal YAY!!!!! I'm a long ways away from my goal. I think I'm going to pick up so Water aerobics class n zumba. How old is your daughter. You guys can swim already. I'm so jealous. I get to move on pureed food 4/10. I'm scared about going to work and having stomach issues after trying foods. How long did you do the pureed phase. So are you still able to eat ribs. Did you try the salmon yet. I'm so ready to eat solids now.