Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sitting here crying because I'm second guessing myself two weeks away from surgery. It's a HUGE change as we all know and I've done all of my research, I know, or knew this is what I want but here I sit rethinking it all. I won't be able to eat normal foods for almost two months, I might end up.with flabby skin that I have no way to pay for. surgery to remove. I know that's a short term problem and that my skin might bounce back but it just seems like everything is crashing down on me all at once. I have a great support system and it seems like everything they say right now I have a negative answer for. I was fine all day then all of a sudden I start with this doubt.

Has anyone else experienced this and if do how did you get through it?

I am pre op and haven't experienced it. I would not be surprised if not only I have a little bit of that but also that after I have the surgery that I'll have a little bit of "what did I do to myself" but it's the most I've ever wanted of anything in my whole life. I've done a ton of research and have talked to a lot of people and it seems these feelings are universally normal but they pass. This is a huge change so your emotions are going to be all over the place. I have not told a lot of people that I'm pursuing surgery for this very reason. I'll be managing a ton of emotions, I don't want to add other stuff to it. You'll be fine and in a few months you will be posting about how awesome you feel and that it's been the best decision you've made.

Go for a walk. My theory is that if I just keep moving I can outrun the depression and panic. Works for me every time, no matter what the problem.

The other thing that helps me is to go try on my old clothes. When I see progress, no matter how small, it reminds me why I went through the surgery.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

Stay positive . You are doing it for all the right reasons . The short term problems are only temporary for a lifetime full of health . I felt this way 4 days after my surgery when I cried and was angry . I thought wtf did I do to myself ? Best decision I could have done . I am a psych nurse and I always encourage my patients to think positive , list the positives versus the negatives and the best advice , take each day one at a time . It's going to be a challenge but think of how great you will feel soon . It gets better , trust me . I'm almost 3 months out , and I am glad I made this decision .

I felt the EXACT same way. I really and truly was a wreck before surgery. And I kept eating to soothe myself, which made me even more panicked that this surgery was not right for me and that I would/will fail. Here is what worked for me... I reminded myself that when I was in a much calmer, much more sane frame of mind, I weighed the risks and benefits of this surgery. I reminded myself that when I was in a much calmer, much more sane frame of mind, I did my research and understood that this surgery was not a magic cure for my food insanity. And I reminded myself that when I was in a much calmer, much more sane frame of mind, I decided that this surgery was the right thing for me. Then I let it go. I truly just had to keep reminding myself for 4 weeks pre-op that I could not trust what my mind was telling me given my fear and I had to rely on the calmer, saner me.

I am happy to report that I am now 5.5 weeks out. The surgery itself was simple. That said, I have struggled with my mind hunger and my urges to binge -- that part has been really hard for me. But at the end of the day, I am learning "the drill" and I am happy I had the surgery and didn't allow my jitters to keep me from doing it.

Of course, I'm not saying "this is just jitters, close your eyes and go for it." Only you know in your heart of hearts whether the calmer, saner you made this decision for the right reasons. But if you conclude that it was the calmer, saner you who decided to have surgery, then CLOSE YOUR EYES AND GO FOR IT!

Actually, I think if you are having doubts you should postpone your surgery. It's like getting married. If you have doubts, don't do it. And with a sleeve, there is no divorce. That said, I'm reasonably satisfied at 7 weeks and glad I did it, although I am having some complications. The sleeve is a great tool, but it is not for everyone. Good luck.

I feel the exact same way as you. I have to tell you I did postpone the first time. I was scheduled for last January and I just couldn't go through with it. I genuinely tried. But I could not get past my feelings and I knew I needed to feel excited and more ready. 6 months later u regretted cancel as I had not postponed. I wished I had done it so the decision wasn't still lingering and I would have been on my way to a healthier me. I am now scheduled for the second time and I definitely feel calmer and more ready. And have a slight excited feeling but I still feel the uneasiness and nerves as my mind takes over with all the negative thoughts. I don't know what I will do as I'm still back and forth but like I said not a much as last time. I want to add that I am really worried about the complications. And the long term risks. And yes of course the food and changes needed for success. Good luck. Please message me if you want to chat. I really do understand exactly what you are feeling. Frustrating.

Thanks everyone, it does help to have people to chat with that have gone through the same thing. I know it is for the best that I do it to get to a healthier me, I know I should be doing it. I think I just had a bad night last night and let all of the negative thoughts in. I am looking forward to a better, healthier me - I just get caught up in the short term not looking ahead past these next two months which is what I should be doing. I'm so glad I found this site to know I'm not alone!!

Your feelings are real and it is a scary proposition. But, you are lscared because you have done your research and you are aware of the complications that can occur. That's good - don't go into any surgery blind. You have picked a surgeon you trust. If that is not the case, step back. But if you trust the doctor and his staff, and the pros outweigh the cons, go forward to a healthier future. I am 6 months post surgery with a loss of 90 lbs including 17 pre op. I had no complications or even minor complaints. If you decide to wait, it's okay. You need to be in a positive frame of mind- but a little bit of fear is perfectly understandable.

Good luck.

Ann

I'm sitting here crying because I'm second guessing myself two weeks away from surgery. It's a HUGE change as we all know and I've done all of my research, I know, or knew this is what I want but here I sit rethinking it all. I won't be able to eat normal foods for almost two months, I might end up.with flabby skin that I have no way to pay for. surgery to remove. I know that's a short term problem and that my skin might bounce back but it just seems like everything is crashing down on me all at once. I have a great support system and it seems like everything they say right now I have a negative answer for. I was fine all day then all of a sudden I start with this doubt.

Has anyone else experienced this and if do how did you get through it?

Perfectly normal! If you didn't have some anxiety you probably are not ready for this. It IS a big change but what a positive step for your health.

You are taking steps to eliminate obesity and all the health issues from your life forever! Yep, your diet will be different for a while but also hopefully for life! Won't mean you cant have anything, just in moderation, the sleeve really helps with that. :-)

Yep, you may have saggy skin, but you probably do now but at least there will a lot less fat under it. And maybe you won't have that issue. I think the younger we are the better the chance of bounce back.

You are doing great, this is a very emotional thing. My guess is in 6 months you will be so happy and so healthy that the pre-surgery anxiety will be but a tiny blip on the radar!

Best of luck to you, the sleeve will change your life and you will love it! :)