Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Illan / Florence Hospital - info to put in front of spouse to reassure him?

Sorry to have been a lurker on here -- I've never participated in a forum mostly on iPad before... I keep thinking I'll get to a desktop and do the courteous thing and post and respond, but I'm seldom at a desktop :)! Sorry about that! I am an older (50 year old) mom to 3 kids under 12 who has become obese the last five years and stayed that way despite very regular, concerted exercise the last 18 months. I have many high BP readings, high-ish cholesterol, sometimes high-ish blood sugar. I feel like a ticking time bomb of bad health and I need to do what it takes to get healthy now (BMI has bounced around 31-33.5 the last three years despite a lot of effort on my part).

I am getting ready to pull the trigger and firm up a sleeve date in MX in November. I have spent hours reading these forums and various blogs, etc., and--for somewhat intangible reasons, I have become comfortable with Dr. Illan and florence Hospital.

BUT-- I'm now at the "seeking-reassuring-information-to-provide-to-loved ones-so-they-will-help-with-chlldcare" stage and I'm eager to find a few easy links or printouts to put under their noses. They won't/don't have the time to surf forums for hours. In fact, my husband is a broadcaster/journalist whose efficient, analytical research style will lead him right to a senior/expensive "elder statesman of bariatric surgery" type doc like Dr. Aceves, which would be fine if every $500 didn't matter to me, but it does.

If anyone has seen a posting or blog where someone succinctly recites some verifiable stats or facts about Dr. Illan and/or Florence Hospital, I would sure appreciate being directed there. The kinds of things that will get my dear husband in helpful mode (agreeing to handle care of three kids while I'm gone) would be info on which hospital florence uses as back-up for severe complications (I assume Angeles, based on what I've read, but I don't have the facts to sing praises of Angeles' sophistication, stellar rating, etc.), impressive, verifiable fact-lets about Dr. Illan, what support might be available if a complication occurred back home, etc.

Thanks in advance if anyone can send me a link, etc. I have joined the helpful FB group for their practice and (as a result of hours of reading and some corresponding with patients) *I* am comfortable, but I need those bullet points for the husband if possible :).

Best wishes,

Annie (getting close to a November 2013 Mexican sleeve date)

Annie, I have a blog with pictures from my surgery with Dr. Illan. sistersleeves@ blogspot.com I had my sleeve done 8/31/13 and would recommend anyone in my family to him. Care and surgery were great! My incisions look beautiful and healed just fine. No pain since the day of surgery. I loved the whole team and I'm sure you will too :) Feel free to ask anything.

YOU NEED TO DO YOUR RESEARCH ON florence HOSPITAL ON THIS FORUM! READ THIS POST A LADY JUST WROTE TODAY ON THIS FACILITY: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/95809-pissed-off-and-scared/

I mean the bottom line is you get what you pay for. Do you really want to skimp on the Dr. because you want a cheaper price? I have not had my surgery yet, but I am scheduled with Dr. Aceves on 11/4, and I have (as well as my wife who is absolutely paranoid about me going to MX for my surgery) spent countless hours doing research on these facilities and Dr.'s. I took out a loan to fund this surgery and from what I have read about my choice of surgeon, I feel VERY confident. I think it's REALLY VERY sad that these women are SO desperate to lose weight that they are scheduling surgery with these Dr.'s for like $3,000 and staying in a "clinic" for surgery, and then an actual "HOUSE" for recovery. THAT'S TERRIFYING. One of the things I really loved about Dr. Aceves is that 1) I haven't read or heard anything bad about him, the hospital, or his staff in all the months I have been researching VGS, 2) you are brought directly to the hospital from the airport for your blood work and EKG, then you have surgery the following day as long as everything checks out 3) You stay in the hospital for 3 days where multiple leak tests are done to ensure there were no complications during surgery. Some of these places make you go back to the hotel and make you get up and travel to the clinic or hospital every day, not to mention some places take you directly to the hospital from the airport for blood work, your EKG, and your surgery BACK TO BACK. How the hell does that give them any time to determine whether or not something is wrong with you via the blood work or EKG?

It's all very scary, and it's a huge decision to make, but I am not going to try and save money when it comes to getting a surgery done in another country.

I am the one that posted the pissed off and scared... I had no choice in my hospital - originally it was supposed to be Mi hospital and THEY changed it to Florence- said it was an upgrade, a better hospital without any extra charges- LUCKY ME! Ha! I have no way to compare the 2 hospitals. All the pics I saw of florence are not of the bariatric floor. They had to be another part of the hospital. Dr. Garcia , the anesthesiologist Mark and Eduardo from Ready4a change are Great!!! The hotel and the coordinator at the hotel, Irene ...great! But all the in-betweens-Not so much!

YOU NEED TO DO YOUR RESEARCH ON florence HOSPITAL ON THIS FORUM! READ THIS POST A LADY JUST WROTE TODAY ON THIS FACILITY: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/95809-pissed-off-and-scared/

I mean the bottom line is you get what you pay for. Do you really want to skimp on the Dr. because you want a cheaper price? I have not had my surgery yet' date=' but I am scheduled with Dr. Aceves on 11/4, and I have (as well as my wife who is absolutely paranoid about me going to MX for my surgery) spent countless hours doing research on these facilities and Dr.'s. I took out a loan to fund this surgery and from what I have read about my choice of surgeon, I feel VERY confident. I think it's REALLY VERY sad that these women are SO desperate to lose weight that they are scheduling surgery with these Dr.'s for like 3,000 and staying in a "clinic" for surgery, and then an actual "HOUSE" for recovery. THAT'S TERRIFYING. One of the things I really loved about Dr. Aceves is that 1) I haven't read or heard anything bad about him, the hospital, or his staff in all the months I have been researching VGS, 2) you are brought directly to the hospital from the airport for your blood work and EKG, then you have surgery the following day as long as everything checks out 3) You stay in the hospital for 3 days where multiple leak tests are done to ensure there were no complications during surgery. Some of these places make you go back to the hotel and make you get up and travel to the clinic or hospital every day, not to mention some places take you directly to the hospital from the airport for blood work, your EKG, and your surgery BACK TO BACK. How the hell does that give them any time to determine whether or not something is wrong with you via the blood work or EKG?

It's all very scary, and it's a huge decision to make, but I am not going to try and save money when it comes to getting a surgery done in another country.[/quote']

Well you better do a little more research on your Dr, cause he's had his issues also, go back a month or two on this forum and I'll just leave it at that. The fact is these Mexican bariatric surgeons do thousands of these surgeries and eventually there will be some complication or sad to say loss of life. I don't think it's always desperation or the price that brings people to chose a certain Dr., often times its referrals from friends or family members who used a Dr for their surgery and were very happy with the results and by the way, "you get what you pay for" doesn't always apply.

Well you better do a little more research on your Dr' date=' cause he's had his issues also, go back a month or two on this forum and I'll just leave it at that. The fact is these Mexican bariatric surgeons do thousands of these surgeries and eventually there will be some complication or sad to say loss of life. I don't think it's always desperation or the price that brings people to chose a certain Dr., often times its referrals from friends or family members who used a Dr for their surgery and were very happy with the results and by the way, "you get what you pay for" doesn't always apply.[/quote']

You are not speaking correctly about Dr.Illan! Be spacific! This was a wonderful hospital and you shpuld always ask what you are getting! My care was top notch there and they always told me what they were doing. Quit trying to taint drs that you know nothing about.

I'm not talking about Dr Illan, Sherri. He is actually the Dr I am planning on using. Go back and read the person I quoted and you will see that my comment is directed at her and her comments.

You are not speaking correctly about Dr.Illan! Be spacific! This was a wonderful hospital and you shpuld always ask what you are getting! My care was top notch there and they always told me what they were doing. Quit trying to taint drs that you know nothing about.

I'm sorry! I'm in a bad mood today :( we are very passionate about our Dr and I jumped the gun. Please accept my apologies! ♡♡♡

I mean the bottom line is you get what you pay for. Do you really want to skimp on the Dr. because you want a cheaper price? I have not had my surgery yet' date=' but I am scheduled with Dr. Aceves on 11/4, and I have (as well as my wife who is absolutely paranoid about me going to MX for my surgery) spent countless hours doing research on these facilities and Dr.'s. I took out a loan to fund this surgery and from what I have read about my choice of surgeon, I feel VERY confident. I think it's REALLY VERY sad that these women are SO desperate to lose weight that they are scheduling surgery with these Dr.'s for like 3,000 and staying in a "clinic" for surgery, and then an actual "HOUSE" for recovery. THAT'S TERRIFYING. One of the things I really loved about Dr. Aceves is that 1) I haven't read or heard anything bad about him, the hospital, or his staff in all the months I have been researching VGS, 2) you are brought directly to the hospital from the airport for your blood work and EKG, then you have surgery the following day as long as everything checks out 3) You stay in the hospital for 3 days where multiple leak tests are done to ensure there were no complications during surgery. Some of these places make you go back to the hotel and make you get up and travel to the clinic or hospital every day, not to mention some places take you directly to the hospital from the airport for blood work, your EKG, and your surgery BACK TO BACK. How the hell does that give them any time to determine whether or not something is wrong with you via the blood work or EKG?

It's all very scary, and it's a huge decision to make, but I am not going to try and save money when it comes to getting a surgery done in another country.[/quote']

Our Dr. Illan is top notch!

We're cool Sherry, just wanted to make sure we had this straight. This OP's thread was completely hijacked and taken off track. This thread is about Dr Illan and not about how nomorecupcakes thinks Dr Aceves is the one and only. I have spent hours upon hours of time researching and trying to find the right Dr for myself and I believe Dr Illan is the right choice for me. There are several very well qualified surgeons in MX, I just happen to believe that Dr Illan has put together an entire team that has made him so popular. You can have an excellent surgeon but if he doesn't have a good coordinator or a good surgical support team working with him then he won't be as successful. I believe Dr Illan and Baja Bariatrics are the complete package.

I would also like to say that Dr Illan's on site coordinator is "THE BOMB"! Omar Acosta will do anything he can to help you. He did a Skype call with me first, them set up another Skype call with Dr Illan and when I told him I wanted to get some dental work over there and could he help with that, he was right on it. He set up a Skype call with a dentist over there who answered all my questions and gave me a great estimate on what I needed done. Omar Acosta is golden and having just had the sleeve surgery himself about 5 months ago, he is very helpful and sympathetic to your concerns. Without him, I don't know if I would have made this decision. OMAR ACOSTA, YOU ROCK!

Well you better do a little more research on your Dr, cause he's had his issues also, go back a month or two on this forum and I'll just leave it at that. The fact is these Mexican bariatric surgeons do thousands of these surgeries and eventually there will be some complication or sad to say loss of life. I don't think it's always desperation or the price that brings people to chose a certain Dr., often times its referrals from friends or family members who used a Dr for their surgery and were very happy with the results and by the way, "you get what you pay for" doesn't always apply.

Oh boy ! could not agree more - that is exactly what I was thinking when I read the above post from nomorecupcakes - her doctor choice "Dr. A" most certainly has had some drama in the past couple of months. But unlike nomorecupcakes thankfully most of us recognize that this can and will happen to any good doctor ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD including the United States and Mexico. And as for bargain shopping - well why not !! - good lord most of us are not blessed with being independently wealthy - every penny counts - you just do your best to temper costs with choice - AND my choice is the lovely DR ILLAN !!

Hi Annie,

I wish I had some pages to direct you and your husband to. I was in a similar situation. I really felt that VSG was for me. Mexico was my only option. My Husband wasn't supportive at all. We had a number of arguments about it. As time progressed, he realized how important it was to me. He said that it was ultimately my choice and although he hoped I would change my mind, he would stand by me.

I booked with Dr. Illan through mysurgeryoptions. My surgery was scheduled for July 20th at florence. I arrived for same day surgery, had the preop testing and was brought in to surgery. My experience at florence was fantastic. Omar was with me to guide me through all the testing and paperwork, he was there when I woke up from surgery. He called my Husband to let him know that surgery went well, before I woke up. The care at Florence was second to none. The nursing staff was sweet and attentive.

Upon check-out, Omar took me to Angeles (beautiful hospital) for my leak test. Omar took a video of it and emailed it to me, before he took me for a drive around TJ. Such a beautiful city. We stopped at a restaurant for the best broth that I've ever tasted!! We picked up some gateraid, juice and Jello and checked into Lucerna.

During the 2 days at the hotel I had a headache. I was in regular contact with Omar and I had a visit from Dr. Raina (sp) on the first day and Dr. Illan on day two. Dr. Illan called on the first night when he heard that I had a headache. He said that if it continued he would change one of my medications. I'm very prone to headaches, especially when the air pressure changes. So it wasn't a big concern to me, however it was nice to know that Dr. Illan was concerned and was prepaired to offer a solution.

I made sure that I was in regular contact with my Husband. Following surgery Omar made sure to remind me to call home ASAP to let my husband hear my voice to make him feel better.

I know that you were hoping for hard facts and I'm sorry that I can't provide that. I've heard that you can have a skype chat with Dr. Illan. Maybe having a chance to speak with the Dr, will help your husband feel better.

Best of luck.

I think it's REALLY VERY sad that these women are SO desperate to lose weight that they are scheduling surgery with these Dr.'s for like 3' date='000 and staying in a "clinic" for surgery, and then an actual "HOUSE" for recovery. THAT'S TERRIFYING. One of the things I really loved about Dr. Aceves is that 1) I haven't read or heard anything bad about him, the hospital, or his staff in all the months I have been researching VGS, 2) you are brought directly to the hospital from the airport for your blood work and EKG, then you have surgery the following day as long as everything checks out 3) You stay in the hospital for 3 days where multiple leak tests are done to ensure there were no complications during surgery. Some of these places make you go back to the hotel and make you get up and travel to the clinic or hospital every day, not to mention some places take you directly to the hospital from the airport for blood work, your EKG, and your surgery BACK TO BACK. How the hell does that give them any time to determine whether or not something is wrong with you via the blood work or EKG? It's all very scary, and it's a huge decision to make, but I am not going to try and save money when it comes to getting a surgery done in another country.[/quote']

I feel the need to reply to this because you're really not describing Dr. Illan at all and I would hate if somebody turned down this wonderful, talented surgeon based on your misinformed post.

The surgery was 4,700, not 3k, not that it really matters.

The surgery was in a hospital, and then the recovery was in a lovely hotel where Dr. Illan and Dr. Reyna personally checked in on me multiple times.

Dr. Illan does exactly what you describe in your numbers 1 and 2. There was no back and forth. Yes, some people fly in and have surgery on the same day, but that's their choice. We're given the option of flying in the night before and spending an extra, complimentary night at the hotel, or flying in the day of.

Yes, places that you are describing exist, but not with Dr. Illan or florence hospital.

ETA: Dr. Illan even took the time to hang out with my mom after my surgery. She's an emotional lady and was upset seeing 'her baby' having major surgery, so Dr. Illan sat right by her side and emotionally supported her until I woke up. He's just a complete class act.