Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Younger Bansters Here?

Not To Say That Anyone Here Is Old But I Am 21 And I Dont Find That Many People Here My Age - Does This Say That I Am Giving Up To Early? Anyone Here In The 20's Or Younger?

Being Banded On Feb. 7th 2007

Not To Say That Anyone Here Is Old But I Am 21 And I Dont Find That Many People Here My Age - Does This Say That I Am Giving Up To Early? Anyone Here In The 20's Or Younger?

Being Banded On Feb. 7th 2007

Marissa,

I am 32, so I am not in your age group. I don't see getting the band when you're younger as giving up, but being "proactive". I see my older realtives suffering co-morbitities as a result of their obesity and I hope that by getting the band, I will not follow in their footsteps. I think you'll find that most people that got banded later in life WISH they could have done this at your age!

Thats Very Refreshing To Here Thank You My Mother For Some Reason - Well I Guess I Understand But She Is Trying To Talk Me Out Of It. All She Says Is Cant You Just Exercise And Diet But Obivously The Diets Arent Working Out And No I Cant Exercise I Weight 267 And My Knees N Ankles Hurt And Wit Hher And My Sister Being Size 4's They Just Dont Get It And Boy Do They Make Me Mad But I Had To Ask Others Their Opinion! Thanks

Thats Very Refreshing To Here Thank You My Mother For Some Reason - Well I Guess I Understand But She Is Trying To Talk Me Out Of It. All She Says Is Cant You Just Exercise And Diet But Obivously The Diets Arent Working Out And No I Cant Exercise I Weight 267 And My Knees N Ankles Hurt And Wit Hher And My Sister Being Size 4's They Just Dont Get It And Boy Do They Make Me Mad But I Had To Ask Others Their Opinion! Thanks

Well, the way I see it, I've dieted and exercised my way to the 265 that I was a few weeks ago. I've busted my butt a few times and have lost 40 lbs here, 30 lbs there, only to gain it all back, plus another 20 lbs. I think when I was 21 I weighed around 211. When you get the band, you'll start to lose just because you are eating way less than before. After a while, though, you will need to "diet" (by following the band rules of Protein first, veggies second, anything else last). Once you lose some weight though, you'll have the extra energy you need, the pain you have may subside and you'll be motivated to start moving, either by walking or weight training, etc... It will definately be a life changing event, but I think you'll be better off for it. Plus, the beauty of the band is that you can still have children when you are ready... many years from now. :o

whoa! how can you type every word with a capital letter? that would take me FOREVER. LOL.

i'm 28... not quite your age, but closer then the 50+ ppl i tend to find. i was overweight when i was younger (your age), lost the weight through STRICT diet and exercise, but once i started to live a "normal life" (ie not exercising 2hrs a day or eating only one tiny meal a day) it piled back on. i wish i knew about lap band years ago. whatever you do now will only help the quality of life as you get older. which is great!

Marissa,

Im 25 yrs old and I am thinking about doing the lapband also, wow your date is Feb 7,how exciting! Its nice to see someone around my age range!! who's your doc? Goodluck!:clap2:

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Hi Marissa,

I'm 27 and just got my band a month ago. My weight started at 242. Many times family members don't understand, especially if they have never battled with weight. Everyone tried to talk me out of being banded but it was my choice not theirs. I just had my first fill and finally feel that this just might work. I can definitely tell that i am eating less and being full faster and longer.

I have only lost a few pounds (8) but at least I am losing. I just wanted to say hi and good luck. If you want to ask me question feel free to email me.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hi Marissa I'm 28 so I guess I'm old side of younger. :o I think you have a made a great decision looking into getting lapband. You are taking control of you health! Good luck on your journey, keep us updated!

I just turned 27 in December.

I don't think you're too young.. In fact, I wish i could have had the band done when i was 21 !

I am 43 and was banded in Dec. I wish I could have been banded at age 21, I weighed around 220lbs at that age. Met my husb. (ex-husb) at 23. I'm sure things would have been different, had I not been obese. I think there would have been alot more men to choose from. Sometimes I feel I settled for the first man to come along because I felt so lucky that someone loved me as fat as I was. Sure wish I weighed 220 now, haven't seen that weight since age 21!

I am 43 and was banded in Dec. I wish I could have been banded at age 21, I weighed around 220lbs at that age. Met my husb. (ex-husb) at 23. I'm sure things would have been different, had I not been obese. I think there would have been alot more men to choose from. Sometimes I feel I settled for the first man to come along because I felt so lucky that someone loved me as fat as I was. Sure wish I weighed 220 now, haven't seen that weight since age 21!

You'll get there (220)! and pass it right up!

I am 28 also! I saw like 2 other people with the same age. My birthday was Friday so I am still getting used to 28.

I am worried a little because I'm so young so therefore I will have my lapband for another like 50 years (hopefully). I hope they last that long!!

there is someone in the december bandsters...bkwalling is her screen name, she is 22 yrs old....thought you'd like to know.

Thanks Shesha....hope to start loosing again soon. I lost 10 lbs, before surgery, another 7 the week after surgery, took me a week to lose 3 more for a total of 20, then have been stuck for 2 weeks. finally weighed on saturday, have lost another 3 lbs. I hope to get a fill soon so I can feel some restriction and really start loosing.

I'm 30 and wish I had gotten it earlier when I was in my early 20's, if your able to get it go for it..and don't look back! :clap2: