Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Younger Bansters Here?

Hi Marissa, I was 25 when I got banded, I wasn't diabetic nor did I have any health problems at the time. I had been overweight most all my life only yo yo'ing between a size 12-22. I finally decided enough was enough and did something about it. Its been over a year and a half and it hasn't been the easiest road but would I do it again..... absolutely.

Hey Marissa! I am 26 and was banded in November. There are several people here in their 20's. Like many have mentioned, I wish I would have been banded years ago as well. It sure would have made my 20's better! One nice thing is we have a slightly better chance of not having sagging skin! At least that's what my physical therapist tells me.....so far it's true. Hope it continues!

Hey girl! I'm 22 and had the band when I was 21 last July... pm if ya wanna talk- there are a lot of crazy things us young bandsters go through! HUGS!

Hey everyone! Its good to hear from other Bandsters in their 20's. Im 26 and not banded yet but I will be this summer. I really cant wait to start losing. I am ready to become the athlete I am on the inside.

There are so many things I wanna try/continue when I get to goal. Im a Big City girl who is in college in the boonies and I feel, now that I am graduating, that I have missed out on the outdoors. So many people here are into rock climbing, camping, hiking, rafting, etc. The list is endless and I want to try it all. I guess Ill have to do that from Manhattan. Good thing I have lots of friends from western NY.

Im soo glad that I found out about the band. I have an option now. I spent so long hating the way I look and getting depressed after going shopping.

Even though I LOVE lane Bryant, Im ready to move on.

I'm way older than any of you. I'm a senior citizen. I wish I'd had this done in my 20s. No need to spend decades kicking yourself for not being able to exercise and diet it off. I get so angry at all the infomercials on TV and the talk show hosts who adopt that holier than thou attitude about people just needing to change themselves. Someday when people are educated enough to understand that for some of us, radical surgery is the only viable option, they will look back at today and realize they were crucifying us instead of helping. Morbid obesity is not like a model needing to lose 5 pounds. It's a serious and progressive disease. It's just hard to get people educated given the crap that's on TV.

hey everyone well my surgery was 10 days ago and everything went very well they had to fix a hydel hernia while they were in there but no extra pain I don't guess. I went back to the dr. thursday and I am down 35lbs from my heighest weight.

Hey guys,

I'm 27. I started seriously trying to fight my weight when I was 23... Did good for a few years, but I'm done fighting this without help and need to get the band.

Glad too see so many 20-somethings on here! Many friends are saying, "You are too young!" but they aren't dealing with it, I am...

My fiance is on the board and she's 20. Its not all that uncommon for younger people to have this procedure done.

I was 17 when I got the band, Im 19 now....Im still just a baby! Its kinda tuff when your young and have it, but its also a good thing, especially when ur in college

I am 25! Thankfully, i have had no problems with support. but i would be ok witha piece of pizza right now! It is tough, but you stick it out. In 5 days i lost 12 pounds!!!! I feel good too. i went back to work today. if you can i would take a full week off, I am tired and feel achy. Good luck! Keep in touch.

I am 28 and I agree with everyone, If I could have had this done in my early 20’s I would have. This is the first job that I have had that the insurance covered the surgery. The one good thing is that being younger is that our skin should shrink faster.

I think more younger people should be offered the LapBand, it would save money on health problems for us and our employers. I work for a really great company. I had insurance from day one and I am also able to take disability while I am out for the surgery.

<o:p> </o:p>

Also, my family is the same way. They would rather me “try harder” to loose weight. I have yo-yo’ed so many times I am surprised I don’t have more health problems then what I already have. I am glad that you are having it done. You will be able to enjoy more of your 20’s then some of us!!!<o:p></o:p>

I am banded now! whoo hoo and u feel good! its been a week and i was going to go back to school today but the snow has kept me in, so far i have lost a good amount of weight in just a week and although it wasnt the easiest last week - i am doing good and am glad i mad the decision i did!

This may seem stupid but do any other younger bandsters feel like they're missing out on the experiences of college or life because of the band? I guess I'm just scared about the surgery and having those last little doubts. I want to be able to experience LIFE in college and I'm worried that because of the band I won't be able to. Any thoughts?

I graduated in May with my bachelors and I am currently working on grad school. My college experiences as they relate to food weren't amazing glamerous things. First of all, there was the dorm cafeteria. Yuck. And I do suppose a lot of college students eat pizza-- my husband and I still do. It doesn't help that my job is taking pizza orders so I know ever single deal and coupon and special all the time... There were also poor starving student periods were I existed on the starch of the week. Potatoes, rice, Pasta, etc. No Protein because protein was too expensive. This was also something I feel no nostalgia for. The one thing I actually miss is the drinking. I would go out to pubs with my friends and drink. I probably got drunk more often than not. Now I don't do that anymore. I do still go out to bars on occasion with my friends and have a drink or two, but it isn't the whole drunken bar hopping thing it used to be. Which is good, because that was expensive. Now with the band, after everything is all healed and rested and its been a while (like a couple of months) you can still drink. I wouldn't recommend getting drunk because if you get drunk enough to throw up its bad for the band and also alchohol and drinks are full of empty calories. Instead, just act a little drunk :mad: Right now I am working on convincing my husband that he needs to take me out for some sangria and dancing (all the bars in town are newly smoke free).