Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

please help! How to restart weight loss after surgery

My name is Meg Huffman and I was a member of this forum pre and post surgery. Since my surgery, so much has happened. I tried for 8 years, no birth control during that time, and never was successful in getting pregnant. Prior to my weight gain, I was told by several doctors that if I hadn't been successful in that length of time, I would probably never get pregnant. Six months after I had my sleeve surgery, I got pregnant. I was ecstatic! I continued to lose weight during the first part of my pregnancy for a total loss of 80 pounds in about 8 months post surgery. My doctor's assistant (who I later learned was a nut lol) scolded me on several occasions for continuing to lose weight, despite my telling her that I'd had surgery and despite the fact that I only lost 10 pounds from the time I found out I was pregnant until I was about 2 months along. Her comments freaked me out, worrying me that my baby wouldn't be healthy. Therefore, I started bad eating habits again. Not so much eating things I shouldn't, but eating more. By the time I gave birth to my healthy 7 lb 11 oz baby boy, I had gained the 10 pounds I originally lost plus another 16. Within a week after his birth, I had lost all of it. Beck will be 10 months old on Tuesday and I have gained about 20 pounds- all since his birth. I'm assuming that the extra calories I was taking in during my pregnancy were going to him and now they're coming to me. I am able to eat much more than I should and despite trying everything I can think of (eating soft foods and drinking fluids for several days), nothing seems to work. I paid, out of pocket, for my surgery. I did not care for my doctor and to be honest, I want to see if I can jumpstart my weight loss and go back to him only as a last resort. I'm still paying on the loan I took out for my surgery and am extremely depressed that I have gained this weight. I wouldn't trade Beck for ANYTHING, including not having this weight gain, but I am frustrated that I never reached my goal of 100 pounds lost before I got pregnant. Please do not comment with any judgments about my pregnancy. I am 39 years old and thought that I would never have a child. He is much more important to me than anything and was born with no health issues stemming from me getting pregnant "too soon". I am a Christian and a firm believer that things happen in God's time. So, please, no questions about why I didn't use birth control. Again, I was told that I my chances of getting pregnant were slim to none, so I didn't think that applied to me. I just need some advice on how to jumpstart my weigh loss again. How do I shrink my stomach again and what would be good things to eat that would help me on my way to losing my weight? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am extremely depressed and very much down on myself right now.

Oh dear! No one is going to scold you! If they do let me know!! I'll tell them a thing or two lol!

Bless you and your baby :)

Have you tried going back to the basics?

Protein and vegetables?

I'm in the same boat you are. I got pregnant with my son just after a year post op. gained 35 while pregnant but a week after Shane was born I was back at my pre pregnancy weight. However...... He is 18 months old now and I have gained 40 lbs. I know sugar and carbs have snuck their way back in and I have to get that under control. I will be watching your tread to see what others suggest.

No, not like I should. I'm also a HUGE coffee drinker, but have been reading on here that some doctors don't want sleevers drinking coffee because it can stimulate the appetite. I am under a tremendous amount of stress and wonder if that has a lot to do with my weight gain. I definitely need more Protein and veggies and water! Have you tried that 5:2 they talk about?

You mentioned trying to go back to liquids and softs. That will actually make it harder to stay satiated for any length of time. They will pass through your sleeve faster than solids. I would think that you're far enough out that you are not going to get back the restriction you had shortly after surgery. But you can still go back to good basic nutrition. High quality Protein, good produce, healthy fats, and complex carbs. Your metabolism has likely been significantly adversely impacted by consuming a restricted number of calories during your pregnancy. My advice would be to find a health professional that is experienced with treating people with eating disorders like anorexia. The goal would be to refeed your body so that your metabolism can be repaired so that your body can respond appropriately to your efforts to lose weight.

Best of luck to you. You can and will still be successful, your path there might just be slightly different than the average person. I know you can do it!

Relax honey!! First and foremost congrats on your baby!! 20 lbs gain isn't the end of your journey. Go back to basics of Water meat Protein and most important EXERCISE!! The lbs will melt away. Strap Beck to your chest and walk it off!! Good luck and enjoy mommyhood! ;-)

I'm in the same boat you are. I got pregnant with my son just after a year post op. gained 35 while pregnant but a week after Shane was born I was back at my pre pregnancy weight. However...... He is 18 months old now and I have gained 40 lbs. I know sugar and carbs have snuck their way back in and I have to get that under control. I will be watching your tread to see what others suggest.

I hate to admit what I ate the first month after Beck's birth. But the weight didn't start coming until about a month later and by then I was craving carbs and sugar. It's been hard to get back in the frame of mind of eating what I'm supposed to. I'm just glad to know I'm not alone. I just fell apart while reading some of these posts and my husband asked what was wrong. I told him I'm just depressed and ashamed of myself. I'm more self conscious about the way I look now than I was before I lost my weight. I guess it's because I had started looking so good. When I was pregnant, people didn't even know if they saw me from behind. The morning of Beck's birth, the hospital staff couldn't believe I was 9 months pregnant. Now, I won't even get on the scales.< /p>

Relax honey!! First and foremost congrats on your baby!! 20 lbs gain isn't the end of your journey. Go back to basics of Water meat Protein and most important EXERCISE!! The lbs will melt away. Strap Beck to your chest and walk it off!! Good luck and enjoy mommyhood! ;-)

Thank you. I needed that!

I'm too new to offer substantial advice (only 4 weeks out) but I wanted to wish you congratulations!! I had a still born baby at 39 years old and was convinced I would not be able get pregnant again. I had my beautiful baby girl, full term and healthy, at 41 years old! Older moms rule!!! Be good to yourself. Take time to revel in the miracle of your baby. You have plenty of time to lose that weight!!

Hi congratulations on your son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boys are precious clingy unlike girls which are cute but independant at two lol enjoy him. As for your weightloss I have read on these boards about a pouch test Im not sure its a cure all but look into it , it may help. In the meantime chin up be happy you have that beautiful son, get yourself on track. you got this.

I Am a coffee addict .... Can't go A day without it. And I need more Water a day. I have read things about the 5:2 diet but haven't tried it