Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Just wanted to share an experience....

I was on vacation in San Diego. While on vacation, I went into a baby store to buy a "spouted" 4 oz.container to better manage my shakes and Portion Control. While I was looking on the wall for what I was looking for, there was another lady looking for a 2 ounce souted container trying to explain to her sister what she was looking for and it sounded very similiar to what I wanted. They NEVER spoke of weight loss surgery, but the gal was heavy set.

She had Gastic bypass surgery and had lost 100# since November 2006! OMG! I initially thought 2005, but NO! it was just 5 months ago. So we chatted for awhile. She initially lost a ton of weight the first 3 months and now it is down to 10# a month. (she only gets to eat 2 ounces of food at atime) She is a BBW and has a way to go before she reaches her goal. But the reason I wanted to share this is that now that her weight loss has stabilized she is losing at a normal lapband rate (for her size), now I am sure if she was a lower BMI lapbander she would not be losing this fast. But I knew there was a post from a gal who was on the fence with lapband and gastric bypass. I think this thought really goes through all of our minds at one time or another.

It was great to share stories back and forth with both of our imputs and both felt we did what was "right" for each of us, and both will be successful in our Quest of healthier lifestyle.

Hi All,

demmemoon, I just read your dilema re job & surgery. I had a similar experience 17 years ago, prior to me having sophie, my youngest, I'd applied to work in theaters part time1 night a week on a Friday night, they could see I was heavily pregnant etc, anyway they offered me the job, and said I could start when I wanted after Id had my baby. Ok, this is the similar situation.....the day of giving birth, I remember looking a feeling terrible stood by a coffee vending machine in the ward in my nightie and dressing gown (blood etc on it, not a pretty picture) hair all messey, no make up etc.....guess who stopped to talk to me? You guessed it, my new boss that interviewed me a few weeks before, well she was lovely as I remember, and didnt take a blind bit of notice of how I looked etc, but she was real caring and concerned for my wealfare. So on Monday if you do bump into anyone your gonna work with, dont worry hon, cos they will be as nice as ever, and probably be more attentive!

Good luck on Monday ok :)

Sara x

Pam Banded: 'Just wanted to share an experience....'

WOW a 100lbs since November eh? Blimey Pam, was she coping with it all ok?

Is it 10lbs a month thats an expected weight loss after having the band, my Dr never said, he just said 40% loss with a band 60-70% loss with gastric surgery.

Wow, I missed about 10 pages of posts. I can't keep up! Anyway, SO SICK of liquids. Less than a week now til I can have mushies, YAY!! Those will only be for a week then normal food again! I did discover last night that I LOVE pea Soup. Found a way simple recipe for it and tried it...soooo good compared to everything protien shake based/tomato soup based/potato soup based/water/more water...yah you get the point. It was good stuff. :) I want scrambled eggs. Oh and that wonderful 20 pounds I lost the first week...well gained 5 back. I guess that just goes with it when you start adding more foods, or in my case, going to full liquids, even though the calorie count has still been really low. My fill will be at 6 weeks, so I suppose that's when the weight loss should actually start counting for something. Anyway...I'll try to keep up with posts better. :) Oh and my recovery from surgery....about 3 days ago, I started feeling completly normal. No more pain, my stomach doesn't itch so much since the glue stitches are almost gone and a lot of the scabbing (ew) is mostly gone. Doesn't look bad at all underneath either. No more swelling or anything. So two weeks out I feel like myself again. Hope things will go as well for everyone else. :tea:

Good Morning Everyone!!!

Well, today is 3 days post-op and nothing new to report. I'm still feeling pretty good. No hunger, no swelling, no pains! I haven't had much of an appetite so I am still doing Clear Liquids by choice. I will probably move on to full liquids tomorrow. I really don't have a story to tell!

It is so interesting to read about everyone else's experiences. I guess everyone is different and will experience different things. I keep waiting for the gas pains, but haven't had any. I don't have the runs...I'm all stopped up wishing I could move my bowels. I can swallow my pain pills whole while others are crushing them. I don't have any swelling in my abdomen while others do.

Pam, I am with you! I don't feel the restriction that others are talking about. Maybe I will feel it when I move on to full liquids or mushies or solids?!?! Maybe I won't feel it at all until after my first fill. I do have the larger VG band that holds 10cc so maybe that's why. There are so many new things that I will have to learn about my body and my band. This is a whole new world....WOW!!!!

:welcomeB: anon, babylovestoys, bubbles, and neveragain!!!!! Good Luck To All Of You!!!!

Tomorrow is a week post-op for me. Tammy and others I strongly recommend colace to get rid of that "stopped up feeling" This has been the only problem for me. Incisions are healing nicely, swelling is going down. I just want the next week to fly by so I can put soething solid in my mouth. But so far so good.

Tomorrow is a week post-op for me. Tammy and others I strongly recommend colace to get rid of that "stopped up feeling" This has been the only problem for me. Incisions are healing nicely, swelling is going down. I just want the next week to fly by so I can put soething solid in my mouth. But so far so good.

What is colace and where can I find it?

I have a quick question about Post-Op diet/medications. I'm now 3 days post-op, and i think all of this pain medicine and anti-nauseau medicine are starting to make me nauseaus...especially since i haven't eaten. How long did you guys continue to take this stuff? Just woked up and slept really well. Not feeling much pain at all, just really bloated. Was going to try not taking the meds today. Also, what was the first non-clear liquid you drank? I'm sippin on a slimfast. We're you able to drink coffee 3 days out?

Thanks alot Magnolia! I will look for it today!

I have a quick question about Post-Op diet/medications. I'm now 3 days post-op, and i think all of this pain medicine and anti-nauseau medicine are starting to make me nauseaus...especially since i haven't eaten. How long did you guys continue to take this stuff? Just woked up and slept really well. Not feeling much pain at all, just really bloated. Was going to try not taking the meds today. Also, what was the first non-clear liquid you drank? I'm sippin on a slimfast. We're you able to drink coffee 3 days out?

I'm only 3 days post-op myself so I probably won't be able to help you much, but if your meds are making you feel icky you may need to call your Dr. They may be able to change your meds. You also may be able to stop taking them. I was only told to take my pain meds when needed. I am still on clear liquids so someone else may be able to answer your questions about liquids. Feel better soon and keep us posted!

Think the description 'head hunger' is just perfect for what I am feeling. And yes I think you are correct when you say that it is the swallowing of the food and not particularly the chewing. I am thinking though that it must feel a bit strange the first time you eat something which hasn't been mushed or blended. There will be this thing in your head telling you that it might get stuck - that must make it really difficult to swallow.

I went out last night and bought some lovely homemade Soups from my local supermarket - they were so thick I had to add some Water and put through the blender but the taste was sublime. Also bought some Actimel in some nice flavours, coconut, blueberry. And some drinking yoghurt in strawberry and raspberry so have some different flavours to keep me going.

Chewing Gum I thought about this but my doc says it's a no-no because it causes you to swallow air - therefore more gas and believe me I have enough gas. I having been sleeping so well not waking during the night at all until last night. Went to bed with a really bad shoulder pain - took pain killers but woke during the night in agony. Reading my notes from the doc it seems as though these are skeletal pains - quite normal after this type of surgery. Seem to be OK today though.