Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking in Uk lapband support... but it's pretty lonely down there on your own!

I'm from the UK and am due to be banded in Paris France on 21st March... flying out tomorrow.

do you mind if I join the March bandsters wagon!?

Hi Anon,

Welcome and I hope you don't ever feel alone again. The people are terrific here on LBT. You and I will be banded on the same day along with quite a few others. Good Luck and I hope we all sail through smoothly together.

Linda

Hi! I am 5 days post op. I had my bad done in Mexico. The plane ride home was long and very uncomfortable. I am grateful to be home. I am following the liquid diet but am hungry. I know its not allowed but I would love pureed potatoes. It sounds so good to me after the yogert, Jello, juice regimen. The pain from the CO2 gas is diminishing somewhat.

I have lost 10 pounds from the liquid fast pre/post surgery.

Any tips that will make this first few weeks easier would be appreciated!

I hear ya amrdmr!! My nerves are shot as well. I'll be a nervous nelly all weekend. I probably won't sleep a wink Sunday night! I guess it's okay because I have to be up at 3:00 a.m. and out the door at 4:00 a.m. It takes me 2 hours to get to the hospital and I have to be there at 6:00 a.m. with a surgery time of 7:30 a.m. YIKES!!!

Hi Berry!

We'll both be sleepless Sunday night, I bet. I also have to get up at an ungodly hour, 4AM, my husband is driving me to catch a 5:30AM airporter to take me to San Diego where I will be met (please God) by Dr. Ortiz's driver to take me to the clinic. Right now, I just want Monday to be here so I am on my way. People say the waiting is the worst, and I am here to tell you, it really is.:help: Sweaty palms UNITE!

Hi! I am 5 days post op. I had my bad done in Mexico. The plane ride home was long and very uncomfortable. I am grateful to be home. I am following the liquid diet but am hungry. I know its not allowed but I would love pureed potatoes. It sounds so good to me after the yogert, Jello, juice regimen. The pain from the CO2 gas is diminishing somewhat.

Hi Babylovestoys

You sound like my twin - where are you based?

I too have to stay on the liquid diet and I have lost 10 pounds. I am now feeling like I want to eat something - not hungry at all - but just the actual act of chewing something would be nice. I am still suffering with the pains from the gas and also trapped wind is really getting me down.

Last night I even contemplated chewing a sandwich but spitting it out and not swallowing it - just to feel food in my mouth and to go through the act of physically biting into something and chewing it. Do smokers go through this do you think when they give up - don't want to smoke the cigarette but they want to hold it in their fingers, light it, suck on it.

My hubby had a bagel today and the smell of it toasting was just unbelievable. He is trying so hard not to eat to keep me company.

I just daren't eat anything that is more solid than a runny shake as I was told that even the shakes could be too thick at this stage.

Any ideas anyone. I'm sure it's just 'cold turkey' but 17 days on liquids is becoming a bit of a bore

HI Everybody.

I finally had the band done on Thursday and am feeling a lot better than I though I would. A little bit of gas, but slept great in my bed with the heating pad on. And some pain meds. I didn't get perscribed liquid, so I have had to crush them OMG They taste horrid! Thank goodness I did get disolveable gravol so That helps. Just very swollen.

Hey all. I amsupposed to be on the liquid stage for the next three weeks. Believe me, it does NOT have to be boring. Tonight, I made potato soup:

1 Tbs butter melted ina saucepan.

1 1/2 tbs flour blended in to make a roux

2 cups of skim milk

salt and pepper to taste

Onion powder

2 small potatos diceld finely.

I added all of the above to the "roux" and let it cook until the potatos were tender. stir frequently adn cook on lowest heat or the bottom will burn. After it's done, put in a blender of bullet and blend till smooth. Delicious and filling. You can even add Protein Powder if you wish. Just be careful not to blend when the liquid is too hot.

Tomorrow, I am going to cook some spinich, paprika (red bell peppers) and tomatoes in broth, with some seasonings and whir that in a blender. i might even add some coconut milk and lemongrass for something a little Thai. You are only limited by your imagination!!

I hope you guys will share some of your unique recipes. I am not hungry at all. I am just finding that I am bored and wanting to eat because that is what I have always done. But, I won't. At about 9, an hour before bed, I will mix a bit of skim milk, strawberries and Protein pwder for a SMALL bedtime snack, and then have nothing but Water till tomorrow.

Night all!

My doctor let me have cream Soups as long as you strain any bits and or lumps out. Tomato Soup is lumpless. You may thin it down with Water or skim milk. I made potato Soup and used a mixer to get it creamy, used milk, salt , pepper, tad of butter. I drink it from a cup. Can't have yogurt til next week, too heavy I guess. Doesn't want any weight on the new pouch while it is healing. They put about 3 atitches from band to pouch to secure it in place while healing. I am not a doctor so I am not sure how that is done. Just know all of this liquid stage is to protect the pouch right now. We have two weeks liquids. This is a long term thing so you want to take care for this short time that is required. I am wanting some real food too. I have 4 more days on liquids, then go to pureed and puddings, hot cereals applesauce ect. next soft or mushy like canned veggies, fruits tuna or chicken salad, ect. then...intro slowly to solids. That is what my doctor recomends. Yours may be different. Good luck and be careful so you will heal nicely. I know it is hard but we have to do this right. keep us posted.

This is my 1st attempt to post, I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly! I've only been on the site for about 2 weeks. It is great! I am scheduled for surgery March 29 and am very nervous (and excited at the same time). I've started asking myself "what the heck are you about to do?" Does anyone else feel the same way?:paranoid

I felt the very same and I was scared to death of not awakening after surgery or that something terrible would go wrong. But I was banded on Monday, March 12th. I believe honestly that this one of the most singlehanded best decisions I have ever made in my entire life. And the fact that I am doing this for me not my husband or anyone else I think also makes this so different. I feel great. I have had this over abundance of energy since surgery and have had such high esteem. Like I changed overnight, or maybe I sense the coming changes. Not sure what it is, but it feels great! I even went walking the very day after surgery. Walked only 4 blocks but it was fun. Yesterday, after work a co-worker and I walked 4 1/2 miles... that was a breeze too. Good luck and stick to what you feel is best for you.

I felt the very same and I was scared to death of not awakening after surgery or that something terrible would go wrong. .

My problem is waking DURING surgery. :think

yeah, biker all you have to do is click on the ticker and put in your pin and update the weight not pasteing and deleting it updates it for you in your signature

Last night I even contemplated chewing a sandwich but spitting it out and not swallowing it - just to feel food in my mouth and to go through the act of physically biting into something and chewing it. Do smokers go through this do you think when they give up - don't want to smoke the cigarette but they want to hold it in their fingers, light it, suck on it.

My hubby had a bagel today and the smell of it toasting was just unbelievable. He is trying so hard not to eat to keep me company.

I just daren't eat anything that is more solid than a runny shake as I was told that even the shakes could be too thick at this stage.

Any ideas anyone. I'm sure it's just 'cold turkey' but 17 days on liquids is becoming a bit of a bore

I actually did the chew/spit thing a couple of times for this same reason. Just needed to chew something. The spitting part got to be gross, though. I started gagging.:)

I quit smoking about 6 yrs ago and I remember needing something for oral gratification then too. I've gotten some different flavors of sugar free gum and candies to help. I also find myself sloshing my liquids around in my mouth for a while before swallowing.....weird I know.......but whatever it takes.

I actually did the chew/spit thing a couple of times for this same reason. Just needed to chew something. The spitting part got to be gross, though. I started gagging.:)

I quit smoking about 6 yrs ago and I remember needing something for oral gratification then too. I've gotten some different flavors of sugar free gum and candies to help. I also find myself sloshing my liquids around in my mouth for a while before swallowing.....weird I know.......but whatever it takes.

I thought that it might be quite gross do that - think that's what stopped me but I thought it might just satisfy the urge to chew. My doc told me not to chew gum as it makes you swallow air and I'm suffering with enough wind as it is. :embarassed: I, like you, find myself sloshing the liquids around my mouth before swallowing. I have to clean my teeth umpteen times a day too as I keep getting a furry feeling on them and a furry tongue. :)

Just been shopping and bought a few things, Liquid yoghurts, actimel and some fab Soups - just had brocolli and cheddar - although had to add some Water and put it through the blender - it was delicious. We will get there.

This is my 1st attempt to post, I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly! I've only been on the site for about 2 weeks. It is great! I am scheduled for surgery March 29 and am very nervous (and excited at the same time). I've started asking myself "what the heck are you about to do?" Does anyone else feel the same way?:paranoid

Oh, yes--many, many feel the same way, including me! My surgery is Monday and I still wonder what the heck I'm doing. I imagine I'll be asking that question until the general anesthetic takes effect. lol. It's a HUGE decision, isn't it? Good luck to you and to us all. I'm hoping to join other bandsters in saying it's the best (or second best) decision they have made in their lives.