Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Hi All,

Susannah the Pina Colada going gret although I must admit I've had a few slips but sticking to it 90% of the time, I have cut out fat & carbs, night time is the worst time for me. How are you feeling now?

Meredith - you have done so well, don't be discouraged do you feel that things have improved with your back since losing some weight? What state R U in? and when R U getting married? What do you mean by aggressive fills? Is the Soup only for 24hrs after your fill then you ease back into it? Sorry about the barrage of questions ...... I keep coming up with more every time I hear new things hope you don't mind.

Thanks Dionnem, sometimes its hard to not see how far I have come when I am in the pain that I am with my back. I had hoped that things with my back would improve with my weight loss but the past month or so it has been worse than ever, thats why I had to bite the bullet and go and have the tests done that I have. I wish it had of been as simple as losing the weight but it seems to look like its an injury state that needs to heal. Which unfortunately won't do that on its own. It looks like physio and futher tests might be on the cards. The $ I am spending on it is adding up too, which is becoming frustrating.

I'm in Canberra, and I'm getting married on the 7th July, it will be a winter wedding :) I can't wait!!!

By agressive fills, I meant that some fill Drs seem to have a one size fits all approach to fills and don't take into consideration each bandsters situation and weight loss. Some fill Drs like to take it slow and gradually build up to the perfect fill level, thankfully my Dr is experienced enough to assess each bandster on their own merits and allows people to use this tool the way it was intended by filling them faster than some other Drs would because they are having great success with their band!

I've been advised that after a fill (except for my first one cos it didn't make much difference) I need to have only liquids for 24 hours. Just to let it settle in, then the experimenting starts to see if I can still eat everything I could prior to the fill. I've not had an issue with any food as of yet. I'm dreading experiencing my first PB!!

No worries about the questions! Ask away, I'm glad to help!

Wow...you All seem To Be Doing Great....i have just skimmed through the last cpl of pages as i have been very busy.....my baby started PREP on monday and my other 2 daughters changed schools so i have been trying to settle them all in

Glad to hear you are coming along well Susannah:)

Gee - I was only here yesterday, and so much chat has gone on in such a little time!!! What a talkative bunch! LOL!!!

For dionnem - I had gas pains in diaphragm, sternum and between shoulder blades for 7 to 10 days post-op. Often it was just a dull ache, but sometimes could be a sharp and short-lived pain. Walking / moving around helped, as did my wheat pack. Otherwise, you just gotta tough it out for a few days. As for getting through post-op liquids, I found that adding Protein to Soups / drinks (eg. dollop of natural yoghurt, lite sour cream etc) helped once the hunger pains started coming back in weeks 2 & 3. Time to break out your fave Soup recipes and the bamix. Frozen berries and mango were great for smoothies. Post-op mushies were reasonably easy too - I lived on soft fish & veg patties, using cooked veggies, tinned fish, egg, breadcrumbs, finely grated cheese and herbs / seasonings to taste.

As for the Biggest Loser - what happened tonight??? We missed it!!! I loved Cat - she was so SMART and insightful - I was hoping she would win. Great to see her looking so amazing. As for Susan - she is very young (23?), the show makes it look like this is the first major life test she has had to face, and that she's running away. That may be the case, but impossible to ever know what her life is really like. But given that she didn't even hang around long enough to even give the program a decent try, doesn't convince me that she wants to change her life yet. I hope that she finds her inner strength and will to succeed.

Here we go again!!!

Day 1 of Optifast. Thought since im seeing Dr Nottle next Monday... im definately starting Optifast and then he may be happy to do the operation sometime in the next month. The earlier the better.

Good Luck Bronnie!! You can do it!! I was allowed to have a cup of non starchy veggies each day when I was on Optifast. I would dry stir fry them (snow peas, broccoli, onion, cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant) in some garlic and thai spices and then put some soy sauce on top. I'd have that for my dinner meal each night with a shake. It was SO yummy.

I've not had an issue with any food as of yet. I'm dreading experiencing my first PB!!

!

I may sound really dumb but what is PB?????

Dionnem, having not experienced one the best I can do is describe it as I have read here - a PB (productive burp) is when you eat too much or don't chew enought and the food can't fit through the stoma of the pouch stomach to the big stomach, so it comes straight back up. Not fun I imagine!

GUESS WHAT I JUST DID!?!?! Registered for a 5km fun on the 1st April :D Theres another one some of you girls might be interested in which is a national one on Mothers day. I'll be doing that one too, if the first goes ok. Heres the link http://www.mothersdayclassic.org/index.php

The mothers day classic was my very first fun run last year Meredith! Best of luck with it, its a great day and you'll get the bug for sure. I ran the Sussan 10k in December!

Hi Meredith, That is terrific, you go for it!:biggrin1: I may walk one of those in the future. You may also be interested to know that The MS society has runs and bike rides from time to time to raise money for research. Bron and I both have the condition so it is a bit close to our hearts I guess.

Jacqui, What can I say? Your a machine mate!:biggrin1:

Susannah