Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Hi Everybody. I just got home from hospital a few hours ago. I am at in Castlemaine at my sister's house. I spent two nights in hospital as I did not cope very well with the anaesthetic and was in a lot of pain.

I am happy that it is over, and I am relieved to be banded, but I think it will take me a couple of weeks to be back to my usual happy self.

I think that it was harder for me as my health was not as good as others having MS to start with.

The surgeon and the staff assisiting him were wonderful, and the nursing staff at The Avenue were so warm and kind. I would recommend anyone to get banded there.

My surgeon was so happy with my pre op Optifast efforts, and he said that my liver was in great shape and that the op went smoothly with no problems.

He said '' Your a champion Susannah".

I spent the first night in the High Dependency Unit after the OP, where they monitor you very closely.

I had a really rough time, wanting to vomit, the incisions giving me agony etc, etc.

I had to be walked to the toilet twice in the middle of the night. I was doubled over and cried all the way there and back.:confused:

I spent my second night back in my private room on the ward. It was so nice, and had airconditioning.My sister gave me a shower. It was like being a baby again.

I am home now and taking it very easy.

Hope you are all well. I was thinking of you all when I was there.

Susannah

CONGRATS:clap2:

I hope your feeling better soon:)

Well done Susannah! Hope your feeling better very, very soon. Keep us posted on your progress - Thank God for Sisters!!!

Katrina

Welcome back Susannah

Great hearing from you. Sorry you had a rough time but hopefully things are all coming together for you now and you will be back up and running and fighting fit real soon. You are so lucky to have someone to look after you.. take it easy :grouphug:

Bronnie.. not long to go now for you either for your consult.How are you doing with the optifast.. did u start it. I had intended going and getting some but sumhow managed to put it off.. again :confused:

Trin.. welcome to the group and good luck for your meeting.

hi to everyone else and catch you soon

loretta

waiting,waiting waiting..........

Bronnie I didn't have the swallow before leaving hospital, i only had it a week later as I had complications - they gave me gastrogaffin that made me vomit (instead of barium) - that cleared the complications and I was all good after that.

I guess they are trying to save us money?? (which should be our decision) I dont really know, but that was the gist of things said to me. I prefer not to skimp when it comes to my health. Private health don't pay for the xrays but I would have prefered one before i left the hospital - I was annoyed that they didn't check I was okay before sending me home (especially since I wasn't!).

She Smiles - It took Epworth 5 months to send the bill for my plastics (on checkout they said I had paid all bills, and i paid a stack at checkout) - they sent an appology letter with it but I was a bit shocked to receive it so late, thought I had paid everything, then bam another $1500 out of pocket :confused:

Thanks for that....

No i havernt managed to stay on Optifast for even a day....Im going to wait to see Dr Nottle ( 1 week today) :clap2: then if he says i have to go on it ... i will. I think because ive had to wait 6 weeks for even my initial consult that my motivation level has droped. Even managed to put on 4kg in that time :think ... i feel like the biggest blob.

------------------------------------------------------------

yet to be banded

1st consult: 12/2/07

Dietician and Physician review: 14/2/07

Hi Everyone, Bronnie, I did the Barium swallow xray test on Saturday. It showed that the band was in place and all was well. The actual liquid tasted so revolting. I nearly hurled from the taste of it.:confused:

I am feeling a little better today, although I have been getting the shoulder tip pain, and the incisions are very tender.

I was able to laugh with my nephews this morning over Breakfast, about plans for their 9th birthday party next week.

Thanks for the well wishes Loretta, Fee and all.

It is not easy, but we will all get there in the end.

Nice to see Mark posting also.

Susannah

Hi Again, I forgot to mention that I have to wear the anti embolism stockings that go up to my knees 24/7 for the next two weeks to prevent blood clots. They are not very fashionable, but a good safety precaution.

Jacqui well done re the swimming pool. It is a much more graceful look when you can do the half twisty turn to get out of the pool.

Hi Cam, hope you are well.

Susannah

Susannah i'm glad you are feeling good & congrats on getting the band in, tim e went by so quickly didn't it? I had to wear those stockings too but for 3 weeks (and it was this time of the year too, sooo hot to wear those things!) but my MIL had an embolism from her ankle surgery 1 week after my band surgery so I was so glad to wear those things and keep weraing them to prevent it. Totally worth the little bit of discomfort. I couldnt' get them on by myself though (I couldnt' reach that far) - my boyfriend became an expert at it by the end - so thankful for him.

Hey Cam, It is really important to wear the stockings for sure. My sister will help me have a shower today and has been helping me with the stockings. I still can't feel happy at the moment about the banding as I am in pain. Will this change? I am committted to doing whatever it takes to lose weight.

The Nursing staff at The Avenue told me that a man was banded, and then decided he wanted it out two days later because it posed too much of a restriction on his lifestyle. They had to let him get unbanded as per patient rights. That is crazy. Why go through all the time, pain and expense just to get unbanded? I don't understand it.

Apparently the hospital also banded someone who was 350 kilos. I laughed when they called me one of their "lighter" patients.:confused: Yeah right. 124 kilos ain't light, by any means.

Susannah

The way you are feeling right now is completely normal. A few days after my band went in, I remember saying to my fiance that I thought I had made a BIG mistake because the gas pains were bad and I couldn't wear a bra (and hence leave the house) because one of my incisions was right on my bra line. It DOES get better. I promise you!! Just rememeber you've had some one poking around inside you so you are going to be sore for a little while (but probably no longer than about 2 weeks max). But in a month or so, all that you will have as a reminder of the surgery is the scars and a slimmer you!!

I was told to take pain stop liquid medicine (its for kids) when I was in pain and it was pretty good. I think I went through a couple of bottles in the week after my surgery!!

Thats really strange about that man who got his band removed. How could he even tell how restricted his life would be if he'd never actually lived with the band properly!? I guess thats why a lot of surgeons make you go see a psych. Its something you have to be mantally prepared for, thats for sure. I mean, I still mourn food every now and then, it was such a big part of my life, and now, well its just not.

Even managed to put on 4kg in that time :think ... i feel like the biggest blob.

Bronnie your toally normal - it's called last supper syndrome - most of us went through it. Just know that you will be able to eat after your surgery, some of everything, just in much smaller portions and chewed much more thoroughly.

Have you looked at all the before and afters? They can help with motivatoin. What about a picture of you in your underware? That might motivate you also if you have to look at that every day.

Hey Bron, You are doing something about your weight. Some people have a last supper for the rest of their life, which could be shortened as a result. Say one positive thing about yourself each day. Susannah

Thanks everyone for all the words of support...

Susannah... hang in there. im sure all the pain will be just a distant memory soon. Think of me here sitting and waiting impatiently.

------------------------------------------------------------

yet to be banded

1 week until 1st consult with Dr Nottle

1 week, 2 days until Dietician and Physician review