Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Hi All,

Bronnie you'll be ok, just take a good mag to keep you going. Don't let them kick you out if your not ready either. Personally I think being done later will be good, you won't being laying there uncomfortabel for as long.... always lok on the bright side.

Susannah - You poor bugger hopefully you will be right and it will all settle down, if you need to go back he won't charge you will he??? And you will be able to go through it look what you've already done ... won't be anywhere near as bad as you imagine. As far as your ticker factory is concerened just do a new one on your computer so you can update from there...

Oh Susannah! I am SO sorry about your port (((hugs))) But its good that they got 1ml in there to start you on the way (is your band a 4ml band??)!! Surely the revision of your port won't be any where near as involved as the initial surgery. SURELY!! Try not to focus on it until you speak with the surgeon about it, try to focus your energies on losing more - 7kgs is an awesome effort!

Bronnie, if you're on in the afternoon, that gives you a good chance to sleep in and be well rested for your surgery! Don't stress, it will all go fantastically!

Hope everyone else is well!!

I still have to turn up at the hospital at 7am even if im done late in the day... im going shopping tomorrow so will stock up on magazines. Im going to be ferral on friday without my morning coffee...

Hi Everyone, Thanks for your thoughts and good wishes. I am feeling a bit down about it, but will try not to worry until I have to go back to the surgeon. I was aware that this surgery can have possible complications, I just was not expecting it so soon.:o

Anyway, how is everybody else? Dionne, how are you going with the mushies? There are so many things that you can mush up and enjoy.

Meredith, the surgeon told me that I actually have a small AP band. He said most people are able to have this size. I have had restriction before I got a fill lately. The last three nights I have hardly eaten, and have still had a stomache ache.

How are you going with it all? How's your hubster to be?:biggrin1:

Bronnie, have a Starbucks before you have your surgery. I love that place. I have found on the American Starbucks site at www.starbucks.com It gives you a caloric count for all of their coffees and beverages.< /p>

Karen thanks so much for the tips on the resistance bands. I will definately check out using some bands.

Susannah

Hey Dionne, forgot to say that any revisions are fully covered through my health insurance. The surgeon will not charge me again. As for the ticker, my brother put it on for me.:o I wouldn't have a clue of how to do it myself. Even with instructions. Susannah

I have to fast from midnight tomorrow so im going to make sure that i drink heaps from about 11.30pm to 12.00.... then i'll stay up peeing for the rest of the night. Oh well!!! probably be too nervous to sleep anyway

Susannah, Thats good that you have had restriction! I think though that the trick is that as you lose weight your band becomes looser and as such thats why the band needs filling, because the stomach isn't as "fatty" any more.

Things for me are going well. By my fill Dr's calcualtions at the rate I am losing at the moment (around 1kg a week), I should be down to between 80 and 75 kgs for my wedding (thats a conservative estimate). Which makes me super excited! I went and tried on my wedding dress last Saturday and it fits so much better (but is about a size small now), so by July its going to be perfect!

So gals I'm down in Melbourne next Friday to Sunday (16th to 18th) is anyone interested in meeting up for a coffee on Saturday the 17th in the arvo, I'd be great to put faces to the names and support, don't you think? Let me know and we'll get something organised (I don't know my way around Melbourne at all, so some one will have to suggest a location!).

Hey Susannah

Sorry to hear about your flipped port- non of us wants any complications. Surgery to re adjust your port would usually be considered a minor procedure, a problem that is generally easily fixed. If you have to have a complication this is probably one of the "better" ones. It may settle down itself- I have an electronic medication pump that gives me medication directly to my spinal fluid- the main part of the pump is located in my abdomen ( in one of my spare tyres), it is about the size of a hockey puck and gets filled through a built in port every 6 weeks or so- For some time they had problems filling it as it seemed to move every time I went- these days it seems stable, it seems that some fibrous tissue has formed around it. THe added bonus is that as I am losing weight they have less trouble findng the port ( the actual port on my pump is less the 1 cm)- So just because its as slippery as a bar of soap now does not mean it will always be a problem.

As for the therabands, you can buy them on line easily and quite cheaply, but I got mine from Rebel sports Wharehouse

Bronnie- still thinking of you! enjoy that starbucks, take lots of mags ( do you like crosswords etc- they are good distracton!). I stayed in overnight post op for the one night, had the barium swallow the following morning then went home- I probably would have managed at home the first night but I live alone and have other medical probs so the one night was a precaution- I think it was a good idea, it reduces some of your worry knowing you have staff available IF you need it.

Hi Meredith, I am free this weekend, but the weekend of the 17th I will be up in Castlemaine at my sister's house. There is a big birthday party for a friend of ours. I am really disappointed because I was hoping to meet you when you came here. Can you make it this weekend?

Susannah

Meredith, there is a get together arranged for sat 17th, in the city, meeting at flinders street station and going over to federation square, trouble is I dont recall which banding site I read about it. I didnt show much interest as I am working that day and couldnt attend. I will try and find it and post for you. what part of melbourne will you be in?

Hi everyone - just popping in to say hi and catch up.

Sorry to hear about your flipped port susannah, that's too bad. hope it settles down by itself so you don't need a revision surgery.

Good luck for surgery on Friday Bronnie!!! That has come around quickly! Sounds like you're all set to go, so I'll catch up with you once you've "joined the band".

Meredith - I can't make Saturday - but could come and meet you on Friday somewhere if you like. Send me a PM to organise if you want to get together.

As for me - I went to see surgeon last Thursday - but no adjustment this time. I had lost 5.5kg in the 5 weeks since my last fill, and were happy with my restriction, so they left me be. That's 13kg lost since surgery and 18kg all up since I started the process. People who don't know about my surgery are starting to notice. Woo hoo!

See you all later!

Anna.

Way to go Goanna! Its good when people start noticing isn't it! 5.5kg loss in 5 weeks is a good loss, you must be pleased - its almost a stone in the "old weights"- at this rate you will soon fnd your belly button

i need sleep....

i thought id have an early night but it didnt work. Its now just past 2am and i havernt fallen asleep so i thought i might as well get up.

Less than 29hrs until i have to be at the hospital..........