Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fecal Impaction... tmi... HELP!

Thanks everyone! I'll be picking up some mag citrate and a fleet's enema today. Hopefully I can just make it through the day without any issues. I feel much better, although the milk of mag hasn't really worked.

Another thing that works wonders is a "mini enema" - look up "Enemeez"... a good thing to have a few of them around on hand when needed. They come in jars of 30, or single ones might be available if you look around the interweb. A lot easier to administer than a full Fleet and works within minutes.

People with limited mobility use these a lot and they're a big help for getting a hard stool removed. I'm going to keep some around for myself just in case I ever have this problem when my time comes.

Good luck!

When its that bad adding Fiber will make it worse. Enema until you are going then slowly add in the fiber. My doc said the Miralax is like cement if you are not having movement.

Hmm now I don't know what to think! I'm pre op and I have heard some people say ' liquids in means liquids out ' and others saying ' never trust a fart ' after surgery. So having people with the opposite is a scary thought! I might just buy some fibre powder to take if I need it after surgery and hope that works?

Good luck OP! Sorry to hear of your discomfort! Hugs! Xo

My doctor recommended my to use Meta-Mucil, Its in an orange cylinder container and is flavored orange. I find it works for me in softening my bowels.

I totally agree with Laura! I had the same issue! I suggest you to do it before you go to work!!! You will want to be by the pot within a half hour if not sooner.

For me, it was like giving birth to a brick! Not to sound gross but when it finallh passed, it was the size of a pop can! I had 2 like that at one sitting. I thought I was going to pass out. I would NOT WANT TO BE AT WORK!

I feel awful for you. Be sure to get your fluids in as well to help. Good luck sister! Hope this helps!

I agree 1000% You do not want to do this right before work. I would consider doing this when you have at least another day before you go back to work. At the very least do it early in the morning the day before you go back to work. Good luck to you! :)

My surgeon told me bowel movements would be irregular till I started puréed foods and not to worry about pooping till then...

I get that tar like disgusting bowel movements once in a while but it's not regular...

I will be 2 weeks out on Monday' date=' but don't start puréed foods till Tuesday.

I can't imagine there is too much waste to get out if you are still on liquid.[/quote']

My surgeon progresses the diet much quicker than most. I've been on full liquids and purees since the 4th day post op. But I won't progress to soft meats like tuna and deli meat till Monday.

Another thing that works wonders is a "mini enema" - look up "Enemeez"... a good thing to have a few of them around on hand when needed. They come in jars of 30' date=' or single ones might be available if you look around the interweb. A lot easier to administer than a full Fleet and works within minutes.

People with limited mobility use these a lot and they're a big help for getting a hard stool removed. I'm going to keep some around for myself just in case I ever have this problem when my time comes.

Good luck![/quote']

I had no idea they made mini enemas. I'm definitely going to get some. I'm stopping by the pharmacy again after work. They're going to get tired of seeing me there lol

You can also try a mineral oil enema. Makes you get the feeling to go and lubricates everything.

Works great but don't trust a fart!! Just saying!! :)

Ive had this problem 3 times since surgery...drinking something hot helps stimulate but what I take now...4 months out at the surgeons reccomendation is phillips pro biotics and magnesium...its working for me.....impactions are awful!

I mdidn't haceiserably had this problem too. It happened first week of back to work. I didn't drink all my Water as recommend, ended impacted. I did almost all remedies mentioned (stool softeners, mag citraste & fleet enema) had barely some diarrhea but still knew I had hard stool (tmi). What I'm trying to warn you is that I tried all these remedies because nothing really was working I ultimately ended up with fever, chills and very weak. I thought I was getting "flu" finally I connected the dots; I was severely dehydrated! Since u have a nursing background...connect the dots & u will figure it out! B really careful!

I mdidn't haceiserably had this problem too. It happened first week of back to work. I didn't drink all my Water as recommend' date=' ended impacted. I did almost all remedies mentioned (stool softeners, mag citraste & fleet enema) had barely some diarrhea but still knew I had hard stool (tmi). What I'm trying to warn you is that I tried all these remedies because nothing really was working I ultimately ended up with fever, chills and very weak. I thought I was getting "flu" finally I connected the dots; I was severely dehydrated! Since u have a nursing background...connect the dots & u will figure it out! B really careful![/quote']

I know :-( that's why yesterday I was freaking out. If by Monday its not all out I'm calling the doctor's office. I've been drinking even more Water than normal. Hope that helps too.

Hmm now I don't know what to think! I'm pre op and I have heard some people say ' liquids in means liquids out ' and others saying ' never trust a fart ' after surgery. So having people with the opposite is a scary thought! I might just buy some fibre powder to take if I need it after surgery and hope that works?

Good luck OP! Sorry to hear of your discomfort! Hugs! Xo

Liquids in liquids out is SO not true! When you are consuming Protein you will have very solid poop. Think about it, all Protein and no Fiber. It will be an issue. Make sure it doesn't happen to you. My butt hurts just thinking how miserable it was. Far and away my biggest challenge!

It can go back and forth from time to time so yes NEVER trust a fart after surgery for a long time.

I had this happen and I took exlax after nothing else worked.

Works great but don't trust a fart!! Just saying!! :)

Lol, that was funny...