Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you decide on VSG vs. other surgeries?

I apologize if there is already a thread for this, but I didn't see one. I just joined the forum today and went to my first informational session with a surgeon's office last night. I have severe arthritis that requires me to take NSAIDS several times a day, as well as other medications. Because of that, it sounds like VSG would work best for me.

So, I'm curious...what made you decide on VSG? Are you happy with your decision?

So many say they can take NAIDS with the VSG but my surgeon says no can not take because of the ulcer risk. Anyone out there know why so many say this?

Welcome! I'm newly sleeved, so my experience is very limited.......but I chose the sleeve because of the malabsorption issues with the gastric bypass--a family member goes to the hospital every week to get her nutrients via IV--and since our genetics are close, it's a consideration........and there are so many problems with the lap band that it wasn't worth considering IMHO

With regards to NSAIDS, some doctors say they're okay and other doctors say it's not (due to causing ulcers, I think). I was taking NSAIDS every day.....so far I've lost about 30 pounds in this process, and feel much better....since surgery I haven't taken anything for pain.....not even a tylenol etc. for my knees.

I'm two weeks out, very happy with my sleeve.......feel very fortunate---no pain, just some soreness the first few days...... I feel just the same as before surgery......until I eat, then it's a whole 'nother story LOL Good luck!

Well, I didn't choose it - although I would like to think I would have, eventually. I was diagnosed with a tumor, and I had been to a doctor(s) on and off for a decade and would never be comfortable with the current or upcoming WLS procedure, etc. So finally I had the doctor tell me, you know, it's a tumor, we have to take it out,you gotta do it anyway, so consider getting sleeved at the same time. So I put on my big girl breeches and said no more excuses. It was a thrilling, scary time.

Lap band failed