Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UHC Choice plus-won't cover?

I don't think they post them - they send a letter letting you know you were approved. After I received mine I faxed it to my doctor on a Monday and was banded on Thursday.

Did you have to wait 30 days?

Anyone have UHC hmo choice and have been approved?

pamla68: I went to the seminar on 1/20/07. I was banded on 3/1/07. In between that time I had, seminar, consultation, wait for insurance approval, pre-op and surgery. I don't know the exact dates of all. I did have to call the insurance company twice. I must say it seems like my insurance delima was very mild.

pamla68: I went to the seminar on 1/20/07. I was banded on 3/1/07. In between that time I had, seminar, consultation, wait for insurance approval, pre-op and surgery. I don't know the exact dates of all. I did have to call the insurance company twice. I must say it seems like my insurance delima was very mild.

Thanks, bikergirl, I have since discovered your UHC is better than my UHC. :)

I started my Quest on 1/20 and was banded on 3/1. I went to seminar on 1/20, then I had a consultation, and they sent insurance info, had pre-op and then surgery on 3/1.

Well it's me again!!!!! I just finally got the nerve up (yesterday)to call the insurance company myself instead of waiting on the doctor...after talking to 5 people...they told me they had not received it....I called the doctors office they resubmitted and this morning I got a call from them UHC needs 5 years of past weight records so that is where I am now in my venture...I know it will be worth it soon but I am so getting depressed waiting....I have been waiting since January......Thanks for listening

and this morning I got a call from them UHC needs 5 years of past weight records so that is where I am now in my venture...

Who called, the Dr or UHC? How soon from the time the paperwork was resubmitted was it before you got the phone call this morning?

Who called, the Dr or UHC? How soon from the time the paperwork was resubmitted was it before you got the phone call this morning?

The doctor's office called me this morning....The office manager resubmitted it yesterday and then she called me this morning that she had been on the phone with UHC today and that is when they told her I need proof of weight problem for the past five year:confused:

The doctor's office called me this morning....The office manager resubmitted it yesterday and then she called me this morning that she had been on the phone with UHC today and that is when they told her I need proof of weight problem for the past five year:confused:

Got you! Just seemed the drs. Would have had that 5 year info before time so that you wouldn't have to wait even more. You will be fine! Welcome to the waiting bench!:P

i have UHC as well... and when i called and asked if i would be covered they told me no that it was an exclusion in my policy thru my employer. well i found out today from the drs office that i am approved. i just have to provide 6 months diet history and 5 yr weight history. so stay on them! or have the doctors office call.

Hello everyone, This is my first time posting to this board but I have been lurking and reading all of the post for about a month now, especially post that have to do with UHC. I also have UHC Choice Plus and have been awaiting approval. Im finally posting now because I have finally been APPROVED!!! and I just wanted to share my journey with everyone that is still waiting. Here goes...

2/23/07 Consultation with Barix Clinics

3/8/07 Information submitted to UHC

3/14/07 Called to be told that it was in review

3/23/07 Called again to be told that it was still in review and that they

had to request more info from the Dr and that the dr had sent the info requested. Thought this sounded suspious so I called the dr who said they had not heard from the insurance company and had not been asked to send anymore info. So at this point the dr checked the UHC website and found that they had my claim listed as being denied because of no coverage which is not the case so she called them and was told that they didnt know why it was saying that the claim had been denied when it was still pending and to check back

3/29/07 I called again to find out that something had been entered incorrect and that it would be fixed and escalated to a supervisor. A couple of hours later I received a phone call from UHC to say that it had been approved and the letters were mailed to myself and the dr. And that they will be checking back with me after the surgery to see how things were going.

So I justed wanted to share my experience to give everyone who is still waiting hope that though things seem crazy it is going to be ok. I guess it just takes longer for some of us to get our approval. :clap2:

3/29/07 I called again to find out that something had been entered incorrect and that it would be fixed and escalated to a supervisor. A couple of hours later I received a phone call from UHC to say that it had been approved and the letters were mailed to myself and the dr. And that they will be checking back with me after the surgery to see how things were going.

So I justed wanted to share my experience to give everyone who is still waiting hope that though things seem crazy it is going to be ok. I guess it just takes longer for some of us to get our approval. :clap2:

May I have the phone number you called? Thanks!

I called the phone number that you had given in one of your post. I think I was just lucky this time to get someone who was willing to do their job.

After being denied by UHC on February 2, I've gotten an attorney to assist with my appeal. Now, I'm waiting on them to write the appeal, which I guess can take two weeks and then UHC has an additional two weeks to say if they will overturn the denial. This is taking forever and I'm a very on top of things person.

I've gained weight while I'm waiting and I'm having a sleep study. Does anyone know--once you go through the appeals process and if you lose, can you go back and try to get it approved again in a few months or are you done for the year or what? Our insurance policy says it covers it but where on earth do you find the requirements--like 6 months diet or any of that? UHC is so clueless, they have no idea and I've called my husband's HR. How can you find out what the criteria are so that you can meet them?

spectacularone

You would think that UHC could give you this info but its obvious that they cant. I think its their way of giving you the run around so that you give up. From what I understand, your benefits handbook or benfits rep at the company should beable to tell you what the requirements are. I also had the option of asking some people at work what they had to go thru to be approved. Luckly for me the only requirements were a BMI of 35 with co- morbidties or a BMI of 40. I happen to have a BMI of 42.9 and high blood pressure, though it is currently untreated.