Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UHC Choice plus-won't cover?

My husband was able to get us on UHC through his job...today! Now is the next step with the doctor's office.

My question for you all is was there a cap on the amount that UHC covered? My handbook is saying $9000.00 and my surgeon's fees are $17,000.00.

Help! I don't want to be back to square one (going to Mexico).

I went yesterday for my pre-op. I have to do a clear liquid diet today.

Pamla68 - I do have a post op, but for pre op I only have to do Clear liquids the day before. For me this is considered preventive - I have been on diet pills - they took me off and I'm blowing up - I've gained 7 pounds since my consultation.

I'm considered a low BMI since it is under 40.

Pamla68 - I do have a post op, but for pre op I only have to do Clear Liquids the day before.

bikergirl360 I meant pre-op diet, I'm sorry.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: I'm so happy for you. Try to sleep tonight! I don't think I could. PM me when you can.

I'm suppose to be cleaning up - I can't stay off this site - I'm so excited - so far 1 bottle of Water down. Scared I'm going to eat something - Thanks MEW I'll check that site out.

I would like to know if anyone was told by United Health Care that they had to wait 3 months after surgery for 1st fill??? They paid 90% of surgery (after me threatning them).

Jane

Okay, I just joined this community about 20 seconds ago, so firstly, I want to say hello to everyone.

Secondly, I recently heard about the lap-band procedure and it interested me. I've struggled through weight problems for most of my teen years and on - and this seems like a possible solution.

I'm currently covered by UHC Choice Plus in Louisiana. My BMI is 39 and I've got a history of heart problems, high-blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke in my family.

Just off the top of your heads - do you think I'd qualify?

First of all, hello and welcome to LBT. As far as your BMI, if there is proper documentation of your health problem you should be a sure in.

Welcome court4short:

I have UHC Choice Plus - My BMI is lower than yours and I was approved-I think you will be ok

Okay, I just joined this community about 20 seconds ago, so firstly, I want to say hello to everyone.

Secondly, I recently heard about the lap-band procedure and it interested me. I've struggled through weight problems for most of my teen years and on - and this seems like a possible solution.

I'm currently covered by UHC Choice Plus in Louisiana. My BMI is 39 and I've got a history of heart problems, high-blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke in my family.

Just off the top of your heads - do you think I'd qualify?

Bikergirl360.....Wasn't your surgery today? Inquiring minds want to know......lol Hope that all is well on your end of things! Congratulations on getting approved and better yet a date so quickly!

NurseTeresa you are correct - I was there at 5:45 (had to be there for 6am). They wheeled me back, gave me my lala juice, and away I went - woke up in recovery w/o any problems. Came home and slept - since I have a laptop it sits on my nightstand and it's always on. I misspelled some words on some other post - think the drugs still in me. However; I'm doing great.:)

Bikergirl360.....Wasn't your surgery today? Inquiring minds want to know......lol Hope that all is well on your end of things! Congratulations on getting approved and better yet a date so quickly!

they denied me :)

What happened?

Court4short: This is what I found:

The National Institutes of Health has established minimum requirements for deciding whether bariatric surgery is the right treatment option:

• 100 pounds or more above ideal body weight or a BMI of 40 or greater3
  • BMI of 35 or greater with one or more obesity-related health condition3

pamla68: Yeah, I've found that as well. My BMI is at 39. I think where my confusion lies is what my ideal weight would be, to determine if I'm 100lbs overweight. I'm 5'4 and at 228 right now.

As far as health issues related to the obesity, there's a high risk of diabetes and high blood pressure on both sides of my family.

I've also got some back problems that my doctor said could have been aggravated by my weight. Actually, in my defense, he said he'd supply a letter of proof to my insurance to say that my weight could have been a factor in my pain.

Courtney