Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UHC Choice plus-won't cover?

Kathy,

Yes, I called the number on the back, then asked for care coordination....

I just got off the phone with UHC. My doctor faxed my paperwork to them on June 28th and today the lady told me that it had been processed and approved. Wow, that was fast! Hope everyone else has the same great luck! :whoo:

Mary

Marty

I don't think that you have to have a BMI of over 40. My BMI has always been 39 and less. My doctors office just told me that they just want to make sure you have been overweight for five years. When my PCP submitted myinformation to them, she just stated that i had been overweight for 5 years and then she went on to highlight my MO's and how the lap band would benefit those problems. I was approved in 4 days. Good luck in getting this resolved.

:faint:Hi All, I can't believe how fast you have gotten replies!! Wow!:clap2: I guess Tuesdays and Thusdays are the regular days to fax in the info to UHC. At least that's what my surgeons office said. My info was supposed to get faxed today. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much for a fast reply, but I can't help it. I'm so excited, I just want to move things along. Thanks folks, and wish me luck!!

I called UHC today to check on the status of my approval and the rep told me that it was DENIED!!! Because although my BMI has been over 35 for the past 5 years, it hasn't been over 40 for the whole 5 years.

What kind of crap is that? I hate dealing with UHC...always a nightmare.

I haven't gotten a letter yet, but he said it was denied on 6/29. So, I should get a letter any day. If he was right-- we all know how their reps can be and every time you call, it's a different story.:confused:

Hi All. My info was submitted this past Tuesday. I called UHC to see if it had been received on Friday, and it had. I was told that their nurses had to check a five year history although they didn't say what for. They said they would make a decision within 5-10 working days. I guess I'll call and bug them again starting next Wednesday!

Tulip-Sorry to hear you were denied. Just reading all the posts it sounds like each employer has it's own criteria within UHC. Hang in there, ther's always appeal. I wish you luck. Kat

I initially was denied by UHC because of the 5 year weight history (this was 2 days before my initial surgery date 3/5). I had my pcp and my gyn write letters to UHC in an appeal describing my comorbid diagnosis's of high blood pressure and cholesterol, as well as a significant family history of early cardiac death. They reversed their decision, and I am now happily banded as of 6/25.

I have UHC through my husband's insurance and my doctor's office sent in my paperwork on 6/18 and UHC approved me on 6/22. I was surprised at how quickly and smoothly the process went. I am now waiting on pretests and have a date of 7/20 set for my band.

I have United Health and was told there was no coverage by my policy... Anyone know the cost or any other resources a fat man can use.... Rick

Hi friends of crappy insurance. I have United Health Care, and was scheduled for yesterday (2/13/07) to have my banding. On Monday afternoon I received a phone call stating that the hospital hadn't got my approval and I should bring a cashiers check for $16,800, (that was funny) or they would have to cancel my surgery. I have talked to UHC 9 times so far and have been told so many things it isn't funny. I work in a hospital, and if I talked to anyone the way I have been talked to by some of the UHC employees, I would be without a job. There is no manager or supervisor you can talk to and also only one number you can call. You can't voice a complaint unless you go through the claims request - I can't believe I am paying for insurance to be treated like crap. Sorry, just need to vent to someone who cares!!!!

RosieG

What did you do??? Did you get coverage.. I too was shot down by united health care-less

hi everyone

my employer uses UHC and i an curious to what plan i should pick to have the best chance at being covered.. thanks!

I have the EPO plan. I was just approved, and it took about 5 days once submitted. I will have to pay $200 for the overnight hospital stay, and 20% of all uncovered fees. Not sure just yet of any other fees. I know it all depends what what your employer chooses to cover though.