Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UHC Choice plus-won't cover?

It's here. I was coming from my kids school and I saw the mailman at the end of our cul-d-sac. I didn't even pull my car all the way in the garage. I messed around in the garage until he got to my box...I stalked him as he put my mail in and drove to the stop sign...then I pounced on that mailbox like it was my last meal. There it was UHC and my name..ignoring all other mail I opened it - You are approved. Thank you - THANK YOU MAILMAN!!! Then I called the Dr. office (wanting to fax this to them - don't want to waste anymore time), however; I got the answering service. Oh well - I will make a copy and carry it around in my car - I'm almost banded!!!! Wishing everyone else luck!!

:clap2: congrats!!!! I am so excited for you!!!!!

It's here. There it was UHC and my name..ignoring all other mail I opened it - You are approved. Thank you - THANK YOU MAILMAN!!! Then I called the Dr. office (wanting to fax this to them - don't want to waste anymore time),

I'm so slow, I didn't know they send the letter to your home, I thought they send it directly to the Dr.

Congratulations!:)

pamla68: I think they do both. I called the Dr. office to see if they got the letter, she told me that I would get the letter first or at the same time - the Dr. office is closed on Friday's, because they are open on Saturday - so I will try to fax tonight and call tomorrow, or I will fax and call tomorrow. I'm so ready to get the ball rolling down the hill.

bamagirl36526: Thanks for the congrats -

I Am Getting Prepared For Surgery - I'm Going To He Seminar On March 7th, I Called Uhc (epo Choice Plan) Asked If I Was Covered For The Lap Band And They Said No. So I Wasnt Taking That Answer I Called Back And Asked If Surgery For Morbid Obeisity Were Covered Under My Plan And She Said Yes Which One I Said The Lap Band And She Said Yes You Are Covered We Just Need A Letter Or Pre Determination From Your Doctor - So There Is Hope Call Back And Check Again And Make Sure You Always Get The Persons Name.

Hi Veronica,

A big congrats to you. :)

What did UHC require? I have UHC choice + and in our Plan booklet it says

40 BMI

40 BMI for 5 yrs

and of course using in network provider & hosp (which isn't a prob)

I am having trouble with the 5 yrs of 40 bmi. I have been getting all my records from my Dr's. And my BMI has ranged from 35-41.... So I am hoping that will work. What'cha think? I would hate to go another year or 2 Ugh....

I have my Orientation on 3/14 and consult with Dr 3/15. Can't wait!

But anyway congrats again. And keep us updated.

hey ladies i have UHC Select EPO and they cover it 100%. however they are all over the board in how long it takes.. one of the girls i work with got her denial in 3 days bmi was only 35 and no comorbidities another one of my co workers it only took a week to get approved and another almost 3 weeks. My paperwork was submitted on 2/15 and I call them 3 x's a day to ck.. still no answer..

I didn't have to jump through any hoops - My BMI is 35.5, I don't currently have any comorbidities but they run in my family. Cancer, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, High Cholestrol, congestive heart failure, kidney problems, etc. My uncle just got his kidney transplant - he had been on the waiting list for over 3 years. My brother past away with congestive heart failure, so on so forth. My job is very stressful and I think the insurance company is very aware of it. I think they do it as a preventive measure. If they band me now - I can't keep sitting on my butt eating and getting overweight and then be out of work due to medical issues. Whatever there reason I like it - I'm getting BANDED BABY!!!!!

Hi Veronica,

Thanks for the info. I have no co-morbidities. Altho my PCP said I am a boarderline diabetic. And I did have HBP a few years ago. But other than that, nothing now.

Almost all of what you mentioned, runs in my family as well. I am hoping my UHC will approve me like they did you. I sure don't want to have to go thru the appeal process. But I will. Never give up!

Also, have you heard if your UHC covers fills? I need to look into that as well.

Take care

I'm not sure about the fills. I figured if I get banded, I will pay for the fills if I have to. I've read that the fills are about $100, the money I will save from not eating out and on groceries, I can pay for my fills. I buy everything else I will do it.

i'm not sure all i know is my doctor and the place where i am having the surgery said they would handle it all. I have high blood pressure- fatty liver - asthma and have tried every diet aout there over the past 15 years - i have been overweight since i was 10 or 11

OK, it shows that the insurance co cc my doctor's office the letter. But I didn't want to wait. I made a copy and left it at the house - Came into work, called them and got the fax number - went to the fax machine and it was broke. Good thing DH at home - called him and had him to fax the copy I left at the house. They called me and I am scheduled for my pre-op on tomorrow 2/27 and surgery is 3/1. I will be in banded land real soon. I will be depending on you guys - I'm sure ya'll will come through. I'm off tomorrow and so I will take my pictures. I bought some new batteries for my camera, however; I placed them on the table and they are no longer there. Do you think the kids got them - they all are listening to their cd players now.:) :) Oh well, I'll just go get some more. I'm so glad they can do it so quick.

I asked one of the other girls here and she said she pays a $20 co pay for her fills - her doctor was in network when she got the surgery done - but now he's not - she's not sure now how much it will be now - but if network doctor then should be just like a doctor visit.

Congratulations bikergirl360!! Getting your surgery date scheduled was so fast!!! :clap2:

Thanks MEW, DH took us out to eat tonight - I don't usually get off this early, I normally work nights. We had a great time - I just kept thinking - next time I'll ask for 4 kids menus, 3 for the kids and 1 for me. I can't wait.

Congratulations on your approval! I was just banded in January and it really is the greatest thing. I'm thankful to my UHC coverage because it's making my life so much better! I hope everything goes really well for you on the 1st. I know when I woke up in pain all I thought to myself was 'I asked for this so don't whine'....lol I didn't have much pain at all though so I wish the same for you!

OK, it shows that the insurance co cc my doctor's office the letter. But I didn't want to wait. I made a copy and left it at the house - Came into work, called them and got the fax number - went to the fax machine and it was broke. Good thing DH at home - called him and had him to fax the copy I left at the house. They called me and I am scheduled for my pre-op on tomorrow 2/27 and surgery is 3/1. I will be in banded land real soon. I will be depending on you guys - I'm sure ya'll will come through. I'm off tomorrow and so I will take my pictures. I bought some new batteries for my camera, however; I placed them on the table and they are no longer there. Do you think the kids got them - they all are listening to their cd players now.:) :) Oh well, I'll just go get some more. I'm so glad they can do it so quick.

Bikergirl360, you didn't have to do the post-op diet?:omg: