Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotionally eating a protein shake

So bad news. I'm going through a divorce right now (which is a good thing) but my lawyers paralegal just emailed me and they want a significant payment. I'm on a very limited income until this all gets settled and I get my assets back. He knows this, but still wants to be paid and rightfully so. So I have a REALLY hard time asking for help and money from my family.

Good news. My surgery is next Wednesday and so, I'm on the liver reduction diet. I'm pretty proud that even though I'm upset, I reached for my Protein Shake instead of some carby something or other. It's ok to still be emotionally eating right? I mean as long as I make the right choices.

Overall things are really on the up and up. I have a GREAT support system and not ONE if my family or friends has said or even implied that they think negatively about my surgery. My mom is going to go to the hospital with me and stay with me after. My ex is watching my kids for 2 weeks while I recover. My friends have offered to bring homemade broths for me during recovery.

I'm going to be going to school for my Masters hopefully in January and moving into a new place in the next 6-8 months too. All exciting things and all a little scary too. My friend sent me a quote that says, "If your goals don't scare you at least a little, then you aren't challenging yourself enough". I think that's a great mantra for what I'm going through and making all of these HUGE life changes. I'm excited to be the new me both physically and mentally.

So bad news. I'm going through a divorce right now (which is a good thing) but my lawyers paralegal just emailed me and they want a significant payment. I'm on a very limited income until this all gets settled and I get my assets back. He knows this, but still wants to be paid and rightfully so. So I have a REALLY hard time asking for help and money from my family.

Good news. My surgery is next Wednesday and so, I'm on the liver reduction diet. I'm pretty proud that even though I'm upset, I reached for my Protein shake instead of some carby something or other. It's ok to still be emotionally eating right? I mean as long as I make the right choices.

Overall things are really on the up and up. I have a GREAT support system and not ONE if my family or friends has said or even implied that they think negatively about my surgery. My mom is going to go to the hospital with me and stay with me after. My ex is watching my kids for 2 weeks while I recover. My friends have offered to bring homemade broths for me during recovery.

I'm going to be going to school for my Masters hopefully in January and moving into a new place in the next 6-8 months too. All exciting things and all a little scary too. My friend sent me a quote that says, "If your goals don't scare you at least a little, then you aren't challenging yourself enough". I think that's a great mantra for what I'm going through and making all of these HUGE life changes. I'm excited to be the new me both physically and mentally.

I'm not going to beat you up for emotionally having a Protein Shake, seems like you're going through a lot and at least you didn't reach for a bag of flaming hot Cheetos. :lol: Still, somewhere down the line, you may want to consider getting counseling for getting comfort out of food. You're in good company and are not the only one on VST who does this.

I hope everything goes the best for you. I like your positive attitude!

It's okay. you made a good choice, and as long as you stay within your guidelines, with everything going on, it's okay to cut yourself a little slack if you ask me.

A Protein Shake is a way better choice than a Snickers bar!!!

Wow such a lot on your plate and still you made a good choice! Sending you a big pat on the back for that - and a hug for the rest of your problems.

Next week, life will change - I believe it will get better for you including the emotional eating. I separated from my husband after 30 years three years ago and although I was an emotional eater before that, I got way worse after. When I was sleeved 4 months ago I felt at rock bottom, although I hadn't shared that with anyone. I kept eating until it dawned on me there was nothing in the world that I ate that made me feel better, about me or my life. Nothing tasted so good that it made me feel better...

Since I have been sleeved, I have had a new lease of life. My confidence is back, I am healthy and well and, according to others, I am looking amazing :-)))) What I haven't done in a long time is eat unthinkingly or because of how I feel. Yes, I still have pressures and worries but nothing I can't deal with, whereas in the past, I would have headed for the fridge. I feel I now really have something to lose if I make bad food choices - and if you had said that to me four months ago, I wouldn't have believed you.

So well done, hang in there and the very best of luck with the surgery - let us know how you're doing....

Ps you sound like you have a good support system in your family - use them, once I started letting people help, life got easier. And great news re going to school....

I'd call it progress. :-)

Compare your recent decision with past decisions. Be proud and keep "thinking".

(((Wasabi)))-

I agree with Amanda Rae.......Progress!

Seems to me that you are already dealing with your emotional eating....You chose a Protein shake..Who does that unless you are ready for the change....All the stuff you are dealing with is difficult but I think you know what you are doing and that you have made the decision to go forward.........

Since I have had my surgery 4 times I have paced the floor wanting to clean out the frig because of some thing that went terribly wrong....Each time I walked away without opening the frig door.....You are already doing that!

Don't be so hard on yourself......K

Relax, don't let the practice's paralegal get you upset. Based on your lawyer's being aware of your financial circumstances, you may want to talk directly with her/him to set up a payment plan that works for both of you.

Continue working your pre-op dieting, good luck on Wednesday, and keep your focus on achieving you goal. Good Luck!