Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 months out- my journey and what I've learned so far

Stalls- in the beginning, during a stall I would get really frustrated and scared. I just went through such a dramatic surgery and I wanted immediate results! Now I know it's a part of the process and I don't expect to lose everyday! As a matter of fact, with the exception of one month, I've consistently lost 8-10 pounds a month. Those pounds come off over the period of a few days every month. The rest of the month I don't lose an ounce! The first 5 months were the hardest. I had a month long stall and was losing very slow (or at least I thought I was). After 5 months, things became more consistent.

What changed after the 5 month mark was I was able to eat more and began an exercise routine. I try not to go under 1200 calories and I work out 4-6 times a week. I have one day a week where I eat whatever I want. I believe it kicks up the metabolism. It's worked for me anyway. Don't be scared of stalls. Once you realize they are going to happen and you trust in what your body is doing, this process will go a lot smoother. This isn't another fad diet. If you follow the plan, you will lose......eventually.

Under 1200 calories doesn't work for me. Not mentally or physically. I don't lose weight and I'm extremely moody and fatigued.

I'm still fighting to build a healthy relationship with food. Like today, I'm hormonal and ate ice cream AND baklava! It made me more depressed. Food doesn't make me happy anymore yet my brain still thinks it does. I feel like that issue is improving though. Sure I have off days (usually around that time of month). I'm not giving up but I know realistically this will always be a struggle.

8 months out and I'm down 90 pounds. Gone from a size 24 pant to a 12/14. I've gained confidence and hope for the future. For those just starting out, this is an amazing journey. You'll have fears of failing. You'll have off days and fall off the wagon. Don't give up! I can't wait to be talking about my journey when I'm at goal and maintaining!

Good luck to everyone!

Nicolanz, thank you so much for sharing what you've learned. What an inspiration! It gives me hope for the long haul!

Love reading this! So encouraging!

I just decided to adapt the "whatever I want, within reason" day and I'm gonna have it tomorrow. I think it will make my other days more bearable. ) Not that they aren't. Anyway...

Also, I like to stay around 1200 currently as well, throwing in at least one lower day. It kinda happens naturally though, I don't force it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far. It's great to hear how other people are navigating their journey.

I am at the 4 month mark today. I'm realizing that my hunger is starting to return. But it's great to hear that you are seeing success with a 1200 calorie intake. My nutritionist suggested that I eventually build up to a healthy caloric intake like that as I started to get hungry for it. She said that it would help make maintenance of the weight loss easier in the future because if I train my body to have too low of a daily caloric intake, then I will have to exercise like crazy to maintain my healthy weight.

Congratulations on your success & thanks again for sharing!

This is exactly what i needed to read today.

Thank you!!!

Thank you so much! I am 7 weeks out and it has been a struggle, so hearing your success and things learned on the way is really an inspiration to me!

I totally needed this too!!! :) Thanks for sharing. I have to keep reminding myself it's an average of so many pounds/week, not that I will lose them every single week. One month, I didn't lose until the last two days, but got all depressed about it. Then when I looked at my total and spread it out, it's following about 8-9/month when divided among the months...and, I can live with that. :)B)