Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honestly, how much do you vomit?

I had slimies (foamie liquid) a few times when I first started solids before I quit trying to eat too much. Since then I have not vomited once in over two years.

Lynda

I am over 2 years out and I have never vomited since I have had the sleeve. Not even right after surgery. I have never been one to vomit easily anyway so this may be why I haven't gotten sick. In the 17 years that I have been married I have only vomited 2 times, when I get sick to my stomach everything comes out the other end but I don't vomit. It's strange. Sorry if that's TMI, lol.

I had a brief period where I really had a problem. Right around a year or so, my capacity increased. I would continually take this to mean that I could actually finish that 2 oz of chicken breast I had carefully measured for my dinner.

Not so. I was so determined to eat to my goals, instead of to my capacity, that I had a brief period of time where I'd sick up my last bite after a few meals each week.

It happened again when I got pregnant. My capacity was larger - and I was almost entirely unable to eat meat and I'm already lactose intolerant. It's easy for me to go from four bites of rice to being sick. In my attempt to eat what foods I could eat, I'd get sick. I'd make a portion of Pasta or rice that was more comparable to what I'd eat if it were Protein. But I can't eat large quantities (or even small quantities, really) of those foods. They swell and I get sick if I eat just one bite too many.

As for vomiting - emptying your stomach and being very sick - no, outside of morning sickness this has not happened.

But those slimes that happen where you wind up yakking up that last bite? It's happened to me, yes. It's a matter of learning your capacity and remembering to be mindful as you eat. I was used to eating so quickly that the signal that I was full didn't have time to get to my brain before I was already overfull.

~Cheri

I'm nearly at the 3 months point and haven't vomited once (looking for wood to touch....). But as per others posts here, the times I've felt close to it have been when I've over eaten, and I think always Protein. I don't eat bread, rice or Pasta as my dietician said they have a tendency to "get stuck", and I'm in no hurry to experience that. I can eat more runny foods (Soup, casseroles, yoghurts), and like them so they tend to make up most of my diet. - no problem with a cupful at a time. I think that's why I've made a few mistakes with dense Protein (eggs, chicken, salmon) - I'm not as in tune with the volume of dense foods I can eat - about one third of cup fills me up.

I eat with a teaspoon most of the time and that may be why I've managed to get enough "notice" that I'm over-full and stop before vomiting. Don't really know, just a thought.

Others have said this elsewhere - the full feeling is not like it was before surgery. It's discomfort bordering on pain. It demands you listen to it!

You should not have any problems unless there is a problem. I have gotten the slimies a number of times all because of eating one bite too many or eating too fast...then that last bite comes back up! That is a learning process for many of us.

But, if you are having major problems with a lot of throwing up, there could be something else going on. You could have too much acid production or your sleeve could be too tight (I know someone who's surgeon made the opening to the sleeve too tight and she could not keep anything down. She had an endoscopy, and they used the scope to stretch it slightly...voila, no more problems!)

People should not assume that throwing up automatically assumes you are always over eating. Yes, in many cases, but not always. You will be able to tell the difference!

I'm 2 years post op and have never vomited post op. I slimed less than 10 times total in the first 6 months. Not bad!

Thanks to you all for calming my nerves (and my husbands too!). He worries everytime he hears me wretch in the bathroom. Can't wait till this band is out! It's pretty bad when vomiting becomes part of your norm. I've thrown up in public restrooms, friends bushes (when I didn't want anyone to hear me at our poker games), on the side of the road (leaning outside of the car door). It doesn't hurt, in fact it makes me instantly feel 100% better.

I'm hoping to not throw up at all. But with everything comes a learning curve. It'll probly take me a few times to teach me a lesson.

Thanks again!

I vomited several times while in the hospital after surgery because of the pain meds but since then I've only puked once and that was because I didn't eat enough food before taking my Vitamin.< /p>

Huh, I've never vomited at all, nor had slimies or sicked up a last bite. (I'm about 2.5 years sleeved.) Edit - I mean no vomiting apart from illness-related.

Yeah no vomit here...and in beginning I always measured my food and liquid intake. If you don't push the limits the possibility of vomiting becomes less of a factor.

Huh, I've never vomited at all, nor had slimies or sicked up a last bite. (I'm about 2.5 years sleeved.) Edit - I mean no vomiting apart from illness-related.

That is awesome! After my dry heaving in the hospital for hours after I woke up from surgery, I was good for the first almost 6 months. Then I had my first incident of over-eating (out for lunch on Mother's Day) and I was done for. I have to be honest, I still have not completely learned my lesson. There are still moments of weakness when I eat just a little too much and have the slimies. But now that I feel a little more back on track, they are almost non-existent again!

That is awesome! After my dry heaving in the hospital for hours after I woke up from surgery' date=' I was good for the first almost 6 months. Then I had my first incident of over-eating (out for lunch on Mother's Day) and I was done for. I have to be honest, I still have not completely learned my lesson. There are still moments of weakness when I eat just a little too much and have the slimies. But now that I feel a little more back on track, they are almost non-existent again![/quote']

It probably doesn't hurt that I have a sleeve of steel! :P

But really I was really conservative in the beginning and didn't eat things that could be trouble (thanks to the vets advice and stories when I was a newbie) :D

Never vomited once, and well past the 2.5 year mark. Not even right after surgery (I had the anti-nausea patch behind my ear for a few days post-op) and never from eating too much food. I have never "slimed" either, not sure exactly what that is.

Also (knocking on wood) haven't had a stomach flu or bug or anything that would have made me sick so I can honestly say I have never once had something come back up since being sleeved.

I'm sorry you are living with daily vomiting like it's normal. To be perfectly honest...when I learned that some people with a band live like that it pushed me to the sleeve. I don't do well with things come back up and can't even imagine how horrible it must be to have band-induced vomiting. I hope your sleeve experience is MUCH better!!

I've never had the band so when I read the title of this post, I was like huh?!?! Such an odd question. Lol. I've only vomited once because I was stupid and ordered a draft beer at a restaurant. I took a big ol sip of the foam on top.....what an idiot, right?!?! About 10 minutes later I felt very sick and ran for the bathroom!!! Lesson learned!

I'm just over 9 weeks out and have truly vomited twice, both times when I ate too much and slimed, and tried to swallow/hold down the slime. It doesn't work. Now I know better and if I slime, I go somewhere I can spit it out and have a productive burp. I'm getting better about not overheating and have had the most trouble while traveling in India because the textures of the foods are so different, and because I'm socializing while eating and not paying attention. One week until I will be home.