Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How interesting... Shape is so important and standing at 5 2 even more so! However, I completely understand how the apron affects us... how we dress, how we feel and how it completely disfigures the achievements we have made. Last year I tried on a lovely dress for our school prom - it was something that I had dreamed of wearing and it fitted beautifully - however, the apron was all but waving at me. My friend was with me and she said that it looked amazing - I asked her about the mid section and she agreed - it apron looked bad. Later on that year I tried another dress on, this time one for work - it was a UK 14 and too big on the shoulders, back and waist - tight around the apron! That was the moment when I knew the skin had to go.

I know a lot of us will be ok with the apron, will wear it as a badge of honor as it represents such success. Some of us will go through this with minimal skin left over. But to me it was an issue both physically - stopped me exercising cos it would bounce around and hurt my back - and mentally.

Now it has gone. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a uber flat tummy and I am not perfect - still have stretch marks and some fat there, still have a (small) muffin top - but the difference is incredible. Truly!

When I went to see my TT surgeon, I told him that I felt I sounded pathetic when I say the difference it has made to my quality of life... but he 'got it'!

Our body image is all relative and subjective. The important thing is how the skin affects us on a day to day basis.

I would go through it again - now!

Oh and I saw 158 this morning - not for the first time either...yey!

OMG!!! That is SO exciting, I'm beyond thrilled for you coops!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday cals for my feed day were 1,176. Not to shabby.

And what you wrote about plastics...omg what a well-worded paragraph. I'm torn. I've been to see a PS. I was not in *love* with him and his approach. That was in May of this year. Now that I've had several months to reflect on it, I realize that I went in looking for "better" and he told me what I would need to be "perfect" and I just can't imagine doing all the work he suggested. So then I've spent a good amount of time trying to "love myself" :wub: where I'm at. I can't say YES I would rush off and do PS, or NO NEVER, because honestly I still don't know what I will eventually do. All I know is I'm almost 3 years post-op and I'm happier, healthier, smaller, more fit than I've ever been my entire life. So that makes me happy. :D

Edited by M2G

M2G - you will know when you are ready (if)! But you are right, you have to like and trust your surgeon. 'Perfection' is not an achievable goal, with or without plastics! In my opinion.

I went into it wanting better, not perfect. And I got better, a lot better. However, as you know, during the early recovery stages I started looking for perfection. As time went on and I healed I reflected and realised that after putting my body through so much by carrying all the extra weight for so long, that what I am now is probably as close to perfect as I will get!

However, I gotta say, my apron wasn't just flappy skin - it stuck out and it was very round - I could grab it and jiggly it about and I mean proper handfuls! A lot of people were surprised when I said it was just over 3lbs in weight. A lot seemed to think that this wasn't a lot and some were shocked that it was so much! My surgeon told me it was one of the biggest that he has worked with!

So, again, it is all relative and we/you/I/us have to do what is right for us!

Edited by coops

You all have seen my jelly belly...don't get me wrong that suckers gotta go!!! Doesnt mean I need perfection to dress stylishly or alluring or whatever. Truth is none of us is perfect. IT is an impossible standard so flaunt what ya GOT even as you work to improve it!

Coop I know what you mean, I really do!

The scale this morning read 150!!!! OMG I don't know why that number just made my day. I DON'T let the scale control my mood but the day before heading off to plastics...this was great.

My dream of maintaining in the 145-148 range is truly possible.

Sounds like so many successes...yea for all of us!!!! :)

Edited by CowgirlJane

Lol yep I didn't think I had a hanging pooch up front until I tried on a dress or two!!! Ugh and I HATE shape wear (and nylons) so my choices were few.... Girl when are you going to start doing only one day a week?

When I get to 145 or so. I just know if I don't really have a decent bounce I will be unhappy and probably sabotage myself! lol

Scared!!!!!!! :)

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

You all have seen my jelly belly...don't get me wrong that suckers gotta go!!! Doesnt mean I need perfection to dress stylishly or alluring or whatever. Truth is none of us is perfect. IT is an impossible standard so flaunt what ya GOT even as you work to improve it! Coop I know what you mean' date=' I really do! The scale this morning read 150!!!! OMG I don't know why that number just made my day. I DON'T let the scale control my mood but the day before heading off to plastics...this was great. My dream of maintaining in the 145-148 range is truly possible. Sounds like so many successes...yea for all of us!!!! :)[/quote']

How tall are you again, CBJ? It sounds like our stars are very similar. I'm 5'8" (maybe a qtr less now:) bigger boobs (even though they have shrunk considerably) I really don't have a well defined waist and small hips. I like the way I look in most outfits because I have a "thin" look. With 5:2 and increased exercise (except for this week :() the "lap" has shrunk considerably and as I don't even LIKE jersey or clingy clothes I can usually hide it well. I hardly EVER wear Shapewear as a result.

At my age, I would seriously love to have lifestyle lift or facelift - probably even over TT. Do those of you considering mind giving me a ballpark $$ of what I would be looking at for TT or face stuff if you had that quoted. It would def have to be a year or so out as trying to get daughter through nursing school and having to "helps" financially w that and two grands.

Congrats, CBJ, on the 150 and all those others who are hitting new lows or maintaining loss.

OD, 139? In my dreams. :)

It bums me out that everyone else is still going down and I am stuck. I gain back everything I lose during the fast over the next two days.

the number on the scale shouldn't mean that much. I feel good at 140 but I know how much better I would feel at 135.

What do you guys eat on your fast days? what makes up your 500 calories?

I need help!

Edited by laura-ven

Sorry messed up and out my response on your thread :P

Oh if I could get to 140 I'd be dancing (stomach pooch and everything) :P

Can easily put on any loses I have on fast days if I over endulge on regular days..

Fast days Greek yogurt blueberries for my first meal And chicken some kind of salad and bolthouse dressing for

dinner. Snacking is Protein like an Ostrim stick.

It bums me out that everyone else is still going down and I am stuck. I gain back everything I lose during the fast over the next two days. the number on the scale shouldn't mean that much. I feel good at 140 but I know how much better I would feel at 135. What do you guys eat on your fast days? what makes up your 500 calories? I need help! Oh if I could get to 140 I'd be dancing (stomach pooch and everything) :P Can easily put on any loses I have on fast days if I over endulge on regular days.. Fast days Greek yogurt blueberries for my first meal And chicken some kind of salad and bolthouse dressing for dinner. Snacking is Protein like an Ostrim stick.

OD, I gain back some too but over the next week or so I HOLD that loss. It usually takes me a week or two to really completely BE at that new low consistently and work downward again.

You are our LOWEST, aren't you? Like Coops, your body is probably at a true set point and LIKES it there! You will probably REALLY have to shake it up and eat very clean on feast days too and lower cals there too. That's what I had to do to re-lose gain. I have been doing either a shake LATE in morning, near noon or bran flakes with soy milk ( less than 1/4 cup non sweetened) and then sometimes a mini babybel for snack or carbmaster yogurt (50-60 cals). Them early dinner. Like you chicken stirfry veggies or homemade veggie Soup or extra lean turkey franks with 100 cal guacamole pack and cut up veggies. Nothing after 7pm. Trying to do16/8.

But on feast days I try not to go over 1100-1200 cals and when REALLY IN LOSE MODE some days not over 800-900 cals. Good fats are very important to speed loss from What I've read.

OD, you might try doing what I do, reverse 5:2 or ADR, alternate day fasting.

On the apron topic, as someone said, it really does disfigure our accomplishments. At my most fit it was a constant jeer in the mirror, telling me that I had accomplished nothing, that all my work was for nought, etc. etc. Mine is particularly pronounced and even with level 10 Shapewear it is still discernible. But if it came down to it, I would get the arms over the apron done, because there is something particularly hurtful to my psyche about these pendulous flapping old lady wings, they humiliate me and make me feel old, if I ever wear anything with cap or short sleeves (FORGET sleeveless), I can see people's eyes gravitating toward the horror. And if I wear clever sleeves that disguise, if the shirt isn't tunic length I can see people's eyes gravitating down, down to my crotch. staring at my crotch/gut, it's humiliating. v_v.

I hate my arms too. My belly/apron is not too bad at all. I was pretty lucky there.

I did have a face lift and my face is numb. I love the way it looks but I hate the way it feels.

I hate my arms too. My belly/apron is not too bad at all. I was pretty lucky there. I did have a face lift and my face is numb. I love the way it looks but I hate the way it feels.

Um, for how long Numb now ? That scares me