Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats "in style"?

There is a site called www.torrid.com that has really cute clothes, my teenagers wear things from there. I like the clothes, and my hubby does too, but it is just not me. I don't think it would look good on me at all. But then again, how do you dress a bowling ball? (j/k something I heard once).

All of the "younger" looking stuff is too tight or too low cut. I can not flash the world when I bend over to help someone with their school work. I normally wear button up "big shirts" with slacks to work. I like cute patterns (mostly flowers and geometrics), but I do not get into the boot cut, worn looking stuff that has been around a while.

I shop at Catherines, and love their big shirts. It covers the boobs, and the butt.

I went ahead and bid on the dress BTW...

I don't want to dress like a teenager. I want to have options and I want to be treated by clothing manufacturers with respect. This is what drives me nuts as a big bitch!!! I sure as hell don't want to be infantalized. Green is very, very cranky on this subject!!!!!!!!!:)

Who the heck cares what's "in style"? As long as you're comfortable and your own self esteem is at a safe level, I say go for it. If for some reason, you're self conscious about what you're wearing then it's probably not a good thing.

All those d*mn sequends and pastels are one of the reasons I've learned to hate shopping. If it's not the hideous styles for larger women, they try to adapt the current fashions for the larger sizes and it just doesn't work. Don't you just love these low rise jeans that make you feel like your a$$ is hanging out whenever you sit or bend over? I won't even get into all the "cover up" disguises that make you feel like you're wearing some sort of shawl, cape or shortened version of a tent.

Never, ever listen to the fashion advice of a guy who is straight, sez Green. Everyone knows that straight guys have got bad taste; they want their girlfriends to look like hookers and their wives to look like their mommas!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

:) I hate appliques, cutesy sayings, and sweatshirts with Tweetie Bird and Winnie the Pooh. (OK, I'll admit the last couple were Walmart, and well, what can ya expect??)

But, my question is why, oh why, do they expect that all plus-sized women have arms like an orangutan? I'm 5'7", and have average-length arms, yet I almost always have to roll long sleeves. Uggh!

Tami

Clothing woes have been so hard for me. I found that Coldwater creek has interesting large sizes (AND if you can go to a store instead of mailorder or online, they put all the styles on the same rack from petites to the large sizes.) Land's End is great for bathing suits and everyday kindof wear. I look forward to being able to shop in normal stores and find things on sale like other people. I have two 15 year old girls (twins) who wear size 3 to 6 and they can't understand why I hate shopping!

I'm not only a true Winter, I'm a Dramatic Winter! Like that should surprise anyone...

I hate to shop for clothes. Just hate it, but I discovered moving from exhile that I'm a clothes horse... I've got more clothes than I know what to do with. Not sure how that happened...

I'm not sure how I feel about 80's clothes being back in fashion... lots of silliness...

OH Maaaaann, I just decluttered and all my 80's huge earrings went and my wide belts, and my legwarmers and my one favorite sweatshirt with the neck ribbing cut out. Sheesh wouldnt you just know it!...... AH HAA

I did keep my extry wide sholder pads! Look out flash dance, here I come!

I AM KIDDING. I hope this stuff isnt really comming back. I agree with Reneebean. If you feel good, you are going to look good, It comes from inside.

I went shopping yesterday and WAHOO everything at Catherine's was too big. I actually had to ask if they carried a "0X" because this really cute coat in 1x was way too big. And even better than that? Before I asked that, one of the clerks had brought me the 1x and said, "This will probably be way too big for you." (Whatever, I'm still a 24 on bottom and 22 on top, 2X if I just walk into any old store)

I had a love/hate relationship with Catherine's. Occasionally you could find cute, age appropriate things there. I never found anything with what I would consider a flattering cut, they seemed to very much follow potato sack mentatlity. And it cost $75, no matter what it was, unless it's on sale, and then you have to rummage through knit house dresses and denim jumpers to find it. Occasionally they had cute business stuff. Most of the time they (our store, anyway) was full of purple & fuschia tiger print, or old woman beaded cruise gowns... you know, the Flapper meets the ankles.

I could usually get by between Avenue and LB, though for a while LB became too small, with only rare exceptions. I wear LB work slacks (LOVE the Houston line) to date, and they have the occasional top I like, but they kind of hit extremes of the fashion world and I have no real interest in wearing a leather strap halter top OR a tunic turtleneck sweater, and things in between are, well - few and far between.

Avenue, on the other hand... ours was very... in their own words - "ethnocentric", meaning that the styles of clothes this particular store carried were (largely) styles aimed at black females between the ages of 32 and 40. Finding anything that suited me and my really picky/weird/understated style was also hit or miss. They closed our local store, but I'll occasionally drive the 45 minutes to the next one because their slacks are some of the only ones I can find that fit the length of my legs (I'm perfectly between an average and a tall, and sometimes I like the option of wearing flats or heels, and not having it dictated by my pant length). And when they get out of "funky sole" mode, they can have some really cute shoes. And even better - their leather pant boots actually zip up over my calves.

I've heard a lot about Torrid. We have one but I don't know where. I've been in them, and have never really seen what I'd call - cute. Perhaps it was the particular store, but most of what I saw I'd call "goth" or "punk". Lots of indigo velvet with chains and fishnets incorporated... blood red leather, black, black, and more black.

Have you ever gone so long oblivious to something that you didn't realize how bad you looked? I mean - for crying out loud - I went WAY too many years not waxing the brows because I never thought they were that bad... until I had them waxed, and saw the difference. Now I'll never go back. But until I saw the difference, I had no idea how bad it looked, or how much of an improvement something so small could make. I'll call that my little revelation. And my point is really all about revelations, and wishing that all the muffin tops out there would have one. Now THAT'S a pet peeve.

This thread is hilarious! I am going to go with the majority. Wear whatever you feel good in and you will look good. For me personally, for work I have more of a classic style, outside of work I have a hippy/earthy style with a little funk. I love tie-dye as well!

I see a lot of 80s fashion coming back in my area. It is horrible and I will not be a part of the 80s revival. I just hope the 80s hair doesn't come back in style!

The story of the winter coat:

Once upon a time there was a woman that lived in the north in the cold state of Minnesota. Every night after work she would go out in the cold to walk her over energetic American Bulldog - unless there was ice because he never slowed down and the woman was way over sized and had bad knees. Buying a winter coat to keep warm was a challenge. All she found was a big grey ugly man's parka. It was very warm and VERY UGLY! and had room for a flannel under it for extra warmth. One day at work a very skinny woman ( who is always on a diet) looked at the ugly coat and sad she didn't know they made them so big ! ( size 4x) The woman was mortified. I am now down 92 lbs and I burnt that ugly parka.

Shopping is so much more fun now!!! Who needs a style when you can fit so many more things! New body, new style - what ever it turns out to be!

The story of the winter coat:

Once upon a time there was a woman that lived in the north in the cold state of Minnesota. Every night after work she would go out in the cold to walk her over energetic American Bulldog - unless there was ice because he never slowed down and the woman was way over sized and had bad knees. Buying a winter coat to keep warm was a challenge. All she found was a big grey ugly man's parka. It was very warm and VERY UGLY! and had room for a flannel under it for extra warmth. One day at work a very skinny woman ( who is always on a diet) looked at the ugly coat and sad she didn't know they made them so big ! ( size 4x) The woman was mortified. I am now down 92 lbs and I burnt that ugly parka.

Shopping is so much more fun now!!! Who needs a style when you can fit so many more things! New body, new style - what ever it turns out to be!

Congrats to you!! :clap2:

I would have wrapped the skinny woman in the parka first, but maybe that's just me... :heh:

My style hasn't changed so far. That has a little more meaning to it.

I've always, ever since college, liked the same kinds of clothes. For a while I didn't have the option of wearing them, so "my style" and "what people think is my style" were very different.

Now everyone is like, "Oh, you look so cute today!" Or "Wow, you've changed so much, even the clothes you like to wear!"

Umm, no. I've always liked these clothes. They just never came in, and don't look good at, 6x.

It was a very close thing. the only thing that stopped me is she is my bosses boss and i must play nice. One winter day she will fall when it is way below zero and she will just break apart.... and i will laugh.....

I have a dress coat I lovingly call "the Pup Tent". I can so relate to the parka story.

Maybe someday I will burn the Pup Tent!