Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation After Plastics (OMG the horror -- sorry for the Ick Factor!)

Yesterday was my fifth day post breast reduction/lift surgery. And OMG, it was by far my worst day since surgery (excepting the day of surgery itself, but for that day I was massively doped up and really out of it).

The reason for the horrible day: Constipation. I had been warned by both my plastic surgeon and the attending nurse that between the anesthetics, antibiotics, and painkillers, I would probably be constipated and was told to faithfully take a stool softener each night to help keep me regular. I did take the recommended stool softener each night, but I think because I was eating so little most days, there just wasn't a lot of food to process, so I didn't have a BM regularly. Most definitely since my surgery my appetite has been extremely low, and I've eaten less than half of what I'd normally eat (some days a lot less than that). Most of my diet this past week has consisted of cherries (which I thought would also help keep me regular; they normally do, anyway), watermelon, Club Crackers, and beverages, with the odd can of Soup or Protein Bar thrown in there; I can honestly say I've not eaten even 1,000 calories per day since surgery (most days 700-800 calories or so, I'm guesstimating). So when I hadn't had a BM after 3 days, I wasn't particularly worried (although I was starting to feel uncomfortable). However, by day 4 the discomfort was growing, and then by day 5 I was starting to get worried -- I was very constipated and my body was not responding, even though I'd been taking stool softeners each evening.

So, yesterday morning, I decided to throw some laxatives in the mix, and eat the one food known to get my stools loose quickly: kettle corn. After I woke up and could not have a BM, I took 2 laxatives and ate a bunch of kettle corn and waited for the BM to come.

I don't know if it was the combo of the laxatives along with the kettle corn, but basically the entire afternoon I was in pure misery: hours of violent cramping, torturous BMs, and that horrible sick/clammy feeling you get with diarrhea (except in my case most of the time it wasn't diarrhea, it was not being able to have a BM, although later in the day I did have some diarrhea too).

Unfortunately, yesterday was our 17th wedding anniversary, and we had to cancel our dinner reservations because I was too sick to leave the house.

It was a completely exhausting day; I feel asleep around 10 pm and slept for nearly 12 hours, and am still a bit groggy today.

I really don't know what I could or should have done differently, except possibly to have drunk more fluids in the early days and eaten more fruit (although I ate what I could manage, which just wasn't a lot). I think the next time, if I don't have a BM by day 3, I will use suppositories to start a BM, because I never want to go through that kind of awfulness again.

Just a heads up to you if you're planning plastic surgery, do not let 5 days go by for a BM! You will regret it!

The nurse in me just won't let me not comment on this one! You are right about starting with the suppository next time (and hopefully even more right about steps to prevent that at all, next time!). Constipation is miserable, but it's worse when you are that backed up. Then, when take a laxative, it starts peristalsis, or intestinal churning movement. It also causes things to try to move through more quickly, ergo, the loose stools. When you have hard stool further down the colon that can't pass, all that churning and loose stools in the upper intestine cause all that cramping, and sometimes diarrhea will seep out around the blocked stool. No wonder you are worn out! This stuff just happens sometimes, but increased liquids might have helped. Another great trick is prunes, or prune juice, or even prune baby food. Hope you are feeling better!

Omg I went through the same thing on Friday and I tried everything and the only thing that would help was a enema boy the next day bought everything with Fiber in it I'm doing better now. Would not wish that on my worst enemy.

The nurse in me just won't let me not comment on this one! You are right about starting with the suppository next time (and hopefully even more right about steps to prevent that at all, next time!). Constipation is miserable, but it's worse when you are that backed up. Then, when take a laxative, it starts peristalsis, or intestinal churning movement. It also causes things to try to move through more quickly, ergo, the loose stools. When you have hard stool further down the colon that can't pass, all that churning and loose stools in the upper intestine cause all that cramping, and sometimes diarrhea will seep out around the blocked stool. No wonder you are worn out! This stuff just happens sometimes, but increased liquids might have helped. Another great trick is prunes, or prune juice, or even prune baby food. Hope you are feeling better!

Thank you for the feedback! What you described was exactly what happened to me (blockage lower down caused the extensive cramping I'm sure).

Next time I'll be stocking up on the prune products for sure! :D

Omg I went through the same thing on Friday and I tried everything and the only thing that would help was a enema boy the next day bought everything with fiber in it I'm doing better now. Would not wish that on my worst enemy.

Glad you made it through OK, I was very close to having an enema when things finally started moving. I wouldn't wish that pain/suffering on anyone, either!

Good to know