Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideas for meals that freeze well?

I often don't have time to prepare meals, so something quick and easy is what I'm looking for. Do any of you have suggestions for food that I can prepare in advance and freeze? Something that would be easy to divide into individual portions to be microwaved later? Of course, it would be nice if it were high in Protein and low in calories.

Hi there!

I'm a lazy cook and it's gotten worse post-op because although I love good food, who wants to put a lot of time into little meals?

Here's some stuff that works great for me:

Veggie soup: I make a giant pot then freeze in 1 cup portions in sandwich baggies. I add Protein when serviing. chicken. low fat meatballs, turkey sausage are all good. Here's my fav veggie Soup recipe: http://savingdinner.com/healthy-vegetarian-recipes/soup-good-food/ I don't use the potatoes. I add more turnips instead.

Meaty chili: I make my chili with enough meat to get 3 oz. in a 3/4 cup serving. Freeze the same way as Soup, but in 3/4 cup portions. I don't have a recipe, but I use a couple pounds very lean ground beef, 1 large can chili Beans, 1 large can tomatoes, 1 chopped onion, chili powder. In a stew pot, brown the onion and ground beef. If needed add a little oil. If any oil cooks out, drain. Add tomatoes and chili Beans. Add chili powder to taste. Cook down till it tastes good to you.

costco Chicken: I buy the roasted one from the deli, then freeze in 3 oz. and 2 oz. portions. Great for salads, sandwiches, and stir fries. Buy the bagged lettuce already chopped and put the salad dressing in one of those tiny plastic glad storage cups.

Two of my fav salads:

- Southwest style: Mix chicken with a little BBQ Sauce. For salad, use lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and either 1/3 c. black beans or 1/3 cup corn. Dress salad with 1 T. lite ranch and top with BBQ chicken.

- Asian Chicken: Mix chicken with a little Newmann's own Lite Sesame Ginger dressing. For salad, use lettuce, 1/8- 1/4 c. mandarin oranges packed in splenda, 1/8-1/4 C. snow pea pods. . Dress salad with 1 T. Newmann's own Lite Sesame Ginger dressing and top with chicken. Now that I'm at goal, I sprinkle 2 T. of slivered almonds on top.

Two of my fav stir frys:

- Italian: I use a mandolin slicer to slice zuchinni, yellow squash, onions, and peppers. Saute quickly with a little oil and some fresh basil. Add cooked chicken or shrimp and a few cherry tomatoes, cut in half.

- Asian: Saute Snow pea pods, thinly sliced brocolli and carrots in a little sesame oil. Add cooked chicken or shrimp, a splash of soy sauce and a tiny splash of OJ. I like mine with a few thin slices of ginger.

I also like to roast veggies and then mix iwth a little Protein. I use a mandolin slicer to slice zuchinni, yellow squash, onions, and peppers. Oven roast at 425 with a little oil. Cool and freeze in portion sizes that you can eat. Mix with chicken and a little balsamic.

Quick Proteins I don't have to cook:

98% FF ham rolled around a light string cheese,

Bistro Sensations Chicken Sausage http://www.walmart.com/ip/Benetino-s-Bistro-Sensations-Sausage-Chicken-Habanero-W-Monterey-Jack-Cheese-Meat-12-oz/10403147,

tuna with dressing made of 1/2 light mayo, 1/2 greek yogurt, dash of prepared horseradish

Frozen shrimp, cooked and deveined. I just pack them frozen and add cocktail sauce at lunch time.

Lynda

Linda, some of those sound really good

Yes, they do. Thanks for posting all of those. I was wondering myself.

Great ideas!

Lentil Soup

Such great ideas! Thank you!