Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new lots of questions ?

Starting the paper work ' date=' 1 question stupid I know. Smoking is not excepted?

[/quote']

Yes, smoking is not acceptable for surgery. I have not seen a doctor yet - since starting on VST a year ago - that will perform surgery if you are actively smoking. It is too risky and dangerous. You are also encouraged to turn over a new leaf in terms of health related topics post surgery. Only you can make this decision following surgery. again, it is highly encouraged in terms of a successful and safe post op experience. I have never smoked so cannot really offer an emphatic response. However, I do know it is hard to quit. Good luck and know that it can be done. There are many products out there to help with cessation.

Most surgeons--and if there's one thing you'll find out quickly here in the forums, it's that every surgeon is different, so there isn't always a clear "right answer"--MOST surgeons will strongly discourage smoking. (That includes both tobacco and marijuana, btw.)

My surgeon's policy is to test his patients' blood nicotine levels as part of pre-op lab work. On the day of my surgery, if my bloodwork shows any nicotine, surgery will be cancelled. Period.

I'm a nonsmoker, so this isn't a problem for me--but if I smoked, I'd have to quit before my surgeon would proceed. Check with your doctor to find out his/her policies; although there may be some variance, I think you'll find that most surgeon's consider smoking a no-no.

It's a medical fact that smoking messes with your healing process - with such a major trauma to your stomach, doctors will either highly recommend or require that you quit smoking prior to your surgery (I've seen the statistic of a month out).

Regarding that, though, I was a pack a day smoker until a few months ago. I talked to my doctor about switching to vaping (e-cigarettes) and he was fully on board. He even enjoys seeing what new paraphernalia I've bought to go with my new habit! I completely gave up smoking the moment I picked up my first e-cig and am a happy vape-r ever since! In fact, I vaped IN my hospital recovery room! Essentially, my doctor feels that nicotine will ultimately be proven to be as safe as caffeine - it's the 4,000+ toxins/tar/tobacco in cigarettes that are the real barrier to healing.

Consult with your doctor - mine is now recommending vaping nicotine as an alternative to his smoking patients. Yours may do the same!

I was also tested for nicotine before surgery and told if I tested positive my surgery would be cancelled as well, but I don't smoke so it wasn't a problem for me.

I was told today that I need to have quit for 6 weeks before surgery and that they will test for it. And also not to smoke after because it hampers the healing process. This is actually a godsend I want this so bad and have wanted to quit for a long time. I don't smoke a ton so I'm hoping it's fairly easy. I like to smoke when I am stressed out so that will be the hardest. Today is day one and so far so good.

I Did the vaping the ecig as well It is terrific.

My doctor wouldnt touch me if I smoked, and told me that upfront. So the ecig did it for me!

I had been using an e-cig since the beginning of the year (helped me quit cigs Jan 1) and at my consultation my doctor said i had to stop all e-cigs two weeks before surgery because the nicotine contracts your blood vessels and that can inhibit healing.

I had been using an e-cig since the beginning of the year (helped me quit cigs Jan 1) and at my consultation my doctor said i had to stop all e-cigs two weeks before surgery because the nicotine contracts your blood vessels and that can inhibit healing.

Just a thought- if you are still having a hard time & you already vap, get some liquid without any nicotine.