Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 days post op. Protein and sleep question.

I'm in Ireland & my regime is quite a bit different from a lot of what I've read here. I'm on Day 25. I had a 5 day stay at hospital(4 nights). On 1st & 2nd day light sipping of Water. On 3rd day liquid flavoured Protein Drink (30mls) every hour with 60mls water on the half hour in between - from 8AM to 10PM. On 4th day we had pureed food (chicken, carrot, brocolli, potato & gravy - all remoulded to look more appetising -NOT!) We were expected to eat approximately 80g to 100g of this but mostly the chicken. We had to be able to eat before we could go home. From then on we were to eat 'soft' food, minced or cut up small with a little sauce or gravy, eat Protein first, that's the priority. Avoid fibre - so as not to fill up too quickly. Do not drink half hour before or after eating. Eat very small bites, chew until the food is a paste in your mouth & take a break between bites (mindful eating). If you don't do this you will know all about it - you will feel sick, probably like a lead ball is in your chest & you'll probably throw up. We are recommended to use the protein drink to supplement our protein intake - I bought pure natural whey powder from organic cows - nothing added, which is what I use. I have 3 meals (approximately 150g to 200g food per meal) which take about 20mins to half hour to eat & 3 Snacks in between, which I usually have a protein smoothie including some berries & half a sml banana or 2tsp Peanut Butter on a buckwheat cracker with 1/2tsp of low sugar jam - delish! I have had no trouble at all, thank god, each week is different as I get used to the regime & my body gets used to the change. I eat a huge variety of foods, I'm sure to eat a minimum of 65g protein each day (usually more), I take my Vitamin supplements & a drug to help prevent gall stones caused by rapid weight loss. I've been losing an average of 5.6 lbs per week, this week I lost 4lbs. We have to exercise every day, get the heart pumping for 10/15mins at least, with a sweat but a minimum of half hour walking. I've added a half hour routine of high intensity rapid weights (intense for me!) & that is really making a difference. I'm sleeping so well after years of only 2 hrs at a time, no inhalers for asthma, I have so much energy - I'm loving it. I don't miss anything(yet!) but I'm so grateful for this opportunity for feeling so well, and positive, and optimistic, I don't think there is anything could spoil that.

That's great, nellabella!

I've followed my post op to a T, other than the 2 oz of milky cream of wheat I drank this morning. The "unflavored" Protein powder is not unflavored. Tried the Unjury unflavored yesterday. I'm not giving up just struggling. I took the grape Isopure and mixed it with grape juice and Water. The after taste is awful but I've managed to keep it down. My favorite thing on this liquid diet has been Tomato Soup. Not a lot of protein but sits better on my tummy than anything else.

Hey JH, have you tried a non isolate Protein powder. I've ha a look and I would suggest checking either of these two out or other products like these. They are treated with low heat and no acid processing, which really alters the taste & the nutrients.

Defense Nutrition - http://store.defensenutrition.com/warrior-whey/#.UcYsZPZ-yPQ

Pasture-Raised Organic Whey - http://essentiallivingfoods.com/products/whey-protein-powder-grass-fed-organic-9oz

I think you might find a huge difference in flavour.

My favourites are -

• 1/2 banana, 2 tblsp Protein Powder (or equiv of 15g protein), 200ml 0% milk, 100ml 0% yogurt & cinnamon to taste. Thats a whopping 30g protein approx & delicious. Add an ice cube & blend.
  • As above but with 1tblsp Peanut Butter & no cinnamon.
  • For Breakfast - As above with 10 blueberries, 3 or 4 strawberries or other berries.
  • Dried fruit is great too if you like, especially if you have probs with Constipation - Figs, dates, apricots - tried to use ones that are naturally sweet & not sweetened (like cranberries etc).

​I hope you find a way through this where you can enjoy what you eat, I'm sure you will if you keep trying. I was given a prescription for a medical protein drink & many of my fellow patients use it a lot, I haven't used it at all - I couldn't stand the taste & I didn't find it necessary after I found other ways to get my protein - much tastier & more pleasant ways. Best of luck, we're at the same stage so let's keep an eye out for each other & share tips.

I am 12 day post op too. Having a little struggle getting the Protein in. Its hard taking little sips and getting anywhere with it. i have got two more days till I can try soft foods. I am averaging 1-3 lbs. a day. down 24 lbs since surgery. I have absolutely no energy.

I am like Nellabella, except I had my surgery at UAB in Birmingham, Al. I was on Clear Liquids the day after surgery (chicken broth, etc.) and the next day I started pureed foods. This includes eggs strangely enough. I can only have 4 tsps. at a sitting, so usually for Breakfast I have 2 tsps of scambled eggs and 2 tsps of grits w/ cheese. I understand about following your doctors guidelines, but don't think it would hurt to start this 2 days early. If I can start it 2 days after surgery, you should have no problem 12 days post op. Good luck!