Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:cry I don’t understand what is going on. On December 11, I weighed 201lbs. That day I started to eat less in preparation for lap band surgery on December 19. December 20 the day I was discharged from the hospital, I weighed 207lbs. December 18 through today I have been on a clear diet. I’ve been eating only Jell-O, flat ginger ale soda and Soup broth. Today, I weigh 198lbs. How can that be? I’ve been literally starving myself and have lost really only 3 lbs since December 11. How can that be? What is going on?

I talked with my doc today about this better subject

I was banded dec 18th and have lost ten lbs to date but I didn't lose one lb on the strict pre-op diet anyways my doc said since we were on such a huge loss of calories our bodies thought we were starving and went into I am going to keep every calorie to survive

I was like my body needs to realize I am a big gurl and need to lose weight fast but anyhow it doesn't work that way he said

anyways I want to welcome u to the 100' s i will be so happy to weigh one hundred and something good luck oh and by the way the doc says most bodies do this for about 2-3 wks

I don't mean to assume you are female, however your time of the month can cause bloating, that is why I don't use the scale necessarily to judge my success. I am going through menopause due to cancer treatments so my hormones go haywire daily. I use measurements and the way my clothes fit to judge my successs. I am 4 to 6 sizes smaller than when I started but not a LOT of pounds down necessarily. Don't rely JUST on the scale...

Also the most obvious reason could be difference of scales!!! was it the same scales in exactly the same position which you weighed yourself pre and post...my drs scales are a lot more flattering than my own...I like getting weighed there cause I am always about 6lbs lighter than what my home scales say!!!hehehe but for personal reasons I go by my home scales as these are the most regular ones that I use.

:bananapartyhat: becky

I started out weighing myself every day after my surgery, but that just made me crazy because there would be days that the scale said I had gained 5 lbs in one day! Which seemed crazy to me considering the very small amount of food I was eating! SO now I try to only weigh myself once a week. And I think the comment about Constipation is VERY true--it took me 8 days to have my first bowel movement after surgery! Also, the sooner you can start getting some kind of exercise--like walking--the better--just don't overdo it too soon!

I remember feeling your frustration and impatience! Dont let it discourage you! I was 6 lbs heavier the day after surgery from the swelling and Water retention. I finally dropped that and was down maybe 6 lbs total the first month. You are likely severly calorie restricted right now, well under 1000 per day, and some people dont lose with that. Fast or slow the weight WILL eventually start coming off. This is not a magical instant fix, but a gradual process. You are starting at a relatively low weight also, and will probably not lose at the rate of someone that starts out much heavier. Hang in there and have some patience, I remember well the frustration, it will all even out and you will be posting in a few months about what you have lost and having to buy new clothes because nothing fits!!!

Your body is going thru big changes and going from regular eating to virtual starvation your body is confused and maybe in 'starvation mode' where your body hangs on to fat as a survival mechanism. Regardless don't worry about losing weight right now, its about healing. You will lose the weight, just keep doing what your dr. tells you and it will all work out !

Just another thought, drink a lot of Water. You lose fat through urine, so if you're not drinking enough water then the fat in your kidneys will be re-absorbed instead of passed out of your system.

Hang in there!

I agree with the other folks who wrote--try not to be a slave to the scale. I haven't gotten on mine since surgery on purpose. I just focus on following the directions I got from the doctor. If I'm eating what I'm supposed to be, then I'm proud of myself!

The weight will come off!

im the leanest he ever banded but for career rerasons ( i live in Hollywood) he did it.

so ive lost 14 p[ouns ish on my home scale wihc is apparently 6 pounds too much im at 169 on it, but i think im more 165, anyway ive done NOTHING but Protein Shakes NOTHING ( well i dipped sopme sugar Cookies in milk on chritsmas) is it the milk? do i need to get a colonic and is that possible, i was banded on 12./21. my goal is 120 or 110, and i haventdropped a ton of sizes eiuther imnot back to my "normal" previous weight wich was an *8, i wantto be a 4 or a 2 - DONT FREAK OUT YALL im talkinfg about acting here and size 8s dont get picked in this crazy business, in Iowa id be fine, but i wanna be sxkinny, thin, anyway so dont get all mad, but why is the scale bloody stuck? its been a week of 169 169 169 . whatthe hell is going on? less than 1000 calories a day and 169 is all i get for it? im getting pissed. did my band break?

i cant do yoga or pilates or any core exercise- i guess i could do treadmill- although im stillsorta sore this was 11 days ago. biut when will the real weoghts tart coming hell id be ecstatic at 140, tho i want 120.

any answers? the poop thing sounds interesting biut i have bneen pooping im using Isopure Protein and Lactaid skim milk. and no food.< /p>

any help wouldbe accepted greatfully.

just returned from the dr ( Carson Liu at UCLA) and my home scazle os correct WAAAH, only 11 pounds in 12 days wich they say is great, they say i can eat cottage cheese and fish and stuff now but im gonna stay on shakes.

i have a film preem and ( im in the film business) it sucks but at least imn out of the 170s, and 168.

they were all really en couraging and said that was good and told me about the woman who lost one pound in a month cos she cheated, i said id prefer to stay on shakes til my fill wich i only found out about on this very site this mornng, dr Liu hadnt even told me what a fill was, til today, i was crying when the nutritionost came in i was so hoping my home scale wasnt correct, she implored me not to get n the scale daily and to do it once or twoc e a week, the thing is i cant do yoga and pilates til the fat grows over the mesh in the port, as its on my belly button, core work is not gonna work, i guess treadmill is it for me. anyone else plateau? i sweaR im not cheating - a tiny bit i dipped Cookies in milk on xmas and cant wait for this fill, as the shakes are not fgilling me up as much as last week.

i think a colonic is in order, mayb e some body wraps the heat ones , and obviously the gym weight training is what theyre really on about.

for those who are drinbking Carnatio nn Instant Breakfast STOP, that stuff is bad bad bad, i use Isopure and im gonna stop adding so much milk and half an d half it with Water and lactaid, its noc arb and cottage cheese does sound rather good.

im just outting off alll important pitches til march 15 wich i know is ambitious but i think ill be at least an 8 by then and a loose 8, im 5'9 so 140 on me is thin but i want more i want 125.

im glad i found this community, im learning alot.

ill wear black to the film preem and just keep my head down and try to not call to omuch atten tion to myself, i have to go, HAVE to or id hibernate ,

i told the person dressing me how big i was, and she was like "whoa" she dresses alot of skinny stars, and i aint one.

anyway......it was good to go the dr 2 weeks til my fill ancd lety me tell you im filling hardcore im lethally serious about this.

gonnabe:sick

I'm going to break this into chunks.

On December 11, I weighed 201lbs. That day I started to eat less in preparation for lap band surgery on December 19. December 20 the day I was discharged from the hospital, I weighed 207lbs.

Most people weigh more upon discharge than they did at admission. Think of all the fluids you had pumped into you. And saline is much heavier than Water.

December 18 through today I have been on a clear diet. I’ve been eating only Jell-O, flat ginger ale soda and Soup broth. Today, I weigh 198lbs. How can that be? I’ve been literally starving myself and have lost really only 3 lbs since December 11.

Your body is healing and many people don't experience loss during the healing stages. And liquids are heavy. A lot of the up-front weight is depletion of the glycogen stores, which probably wouldn't happen in your case since you're (I assume by what you've listed) still ingesting a lot of sugar.

Remember that weight does not = fat. You can lose fat without losing weight. I know this too well. My scale has moved about 7 lbs in 2 months, but I've gone down a full size. Don't put all your eggs on the scale, so to speak - use a more reliable progress meter like measurements, FFM, BFP, etc.

As Jack already indicated, something as innocuous as a good poop can drop a bunch of pounds. Lots of things in our bodies need to reach their points of equilibrium, and until they do a lot of other things can be topsy-turvy.

How can that be? What is going on?