Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here's to a new BEGINNING!!!

Just to let you all know that I'm in my 4th day of liquid diet and all is well. I have lost 32 lbs so far and aiming for 40 by the end of the week and I do believe I will make it. Jan 8th is coming so fast, only 1 week to go. Wow!!:clap2:

I am so determined it's unbelievable and the reason for this is Dr Miller's few words of advice, he said "Just remember that whatever you lose from now on you will never gain back" and I believed him and still do. Those of you who are struggling through pre-op gain loss and liquid diets, may find it easier with this in mind, it did for me.

Good Luck to you all...Gigi:)

Hello again.....I can't wait to see a 32 to 40 pound loss. I have now gotten 4 calls from a few friends--telling me not to do it. The mis-informed thinking the surgery is too dangerous. I even explained to 3 of them--(why I have no idea) why it's a really safe surgery and it's for my health over a long periodof time....

Hi Gigi :(

I was scheduled to have my band on 8th January 2007 also, but got a phone call to say I could have 19th December 2006. I welcomed the early date and now glad I am on this side of the surgery. It was a huge decision for me. And I couldn't be happier to have made the decison, no regrets. All went extremely well. I wish I knew about this forum before. My greatest pain has been gas, apart from that all has gone extremely well. I'm back to work and back to the pool light exercising after 2 and half weeks. GOOD LUCK! you will be fine :eek:

Let us know how you go. Read about me in introductions CHEERS

:)

Hello again.....I can't wait to see a 32 to 40 pound loss. I have now gotten 4 calls from a few friends--telling me not to do it. The mis-informed thinking the surgery is too dangerous. I even explained to 3 of them--(why I have no idea) why it's a really safe surgery and it's for my health over a long periodof time....

I also had my friends and family try to talk me out of it. I planned it and just did it . Hang out with the people who will support you. What until after the surgery.......questions all the time. Are you suppose to be eating that or how much weight have you lost etc. don't worry we will be here for you Kelley

Thank you Kelly...I have very few friends now. The few I do know are large guys like me. We've discussed this in the past about getting our health up. I think I am the only one in the group with 2 health insurances. Even one of the guys now has given more thought about his health. Last night I told him of my plans and he says--now he wans to look into this. I explained the precedure as well as I could. Then he wanted to ask me--how much did it cost. I told him the price and he said--mmmmm....I need to be looking at myself more. Then even made the excuse---"But I am 54 years old". I then had to use the story written in the "Ebony magazine"--"Why Black Men are Dying". Over the recent years, we've had many prominent well to do black Men leave this mortal coil--all die to weight issues that brought on other illnesses that could have been prevented. Instead many will not take the time to seek medical attention . The old saying--if you're fat--then you must be healthy. Even my 400 pound brother says with a stupid grin--"I will need this weight to fill my coffin". I had to think of the explitives when he said that. (Yet 1 year has passed since he's seen me--now jejaous about me weighing under 300--so I now can't call him due to his feelings--he will not answer the phone) Yet both of my 47 and 46 year old brothers now suffer from a number of illness due to their weight issues(Hypertension & diabetes, my 46 yr old brother is now in the begginnig stages of kidney failure, along with diabetes, Hypertension, stroke,gout and he's had 2 heart attacks within the past 2 years). I am ver lucky and blessed to be only dealing with depression and hypertension. So this has added the more recent wake up calls to me--along with the massive numbers of Men Black and White who are neglecting their health. I am so shocked that my nurse at my family Doctor says--"You look fine, even though the scale says--"268". She says-- You're doing great-Lee. I said something to shock her. "Would you prefer a Man of 168 lbs or a Man of 268 lbs? Her buddy says---"Lee don't debate her". "My Husband was a big old guy too, but he got smart and lost the weight as well". "You do what you must do to keep your health right and up to par". All of that education, but she is giving me the thumbs up and of course asking me why. It just goes to show us, many people still live by the old southern words--being fat means Healthy.... Last thing, I am waiting now to sign my documents from the Doctor to proceed with the surgery--I filled out a survey online to save me driving time ....Lee:clap2:

Yep Lee, You need to continue down this path. I think you are the only one in your family thats not in denial. One of the things that woke me up was someone asked me how many morbidly obese men and women do you know in their 60's. Not many. We only live this life once , why not make the most of it and stick around longer. Who knows Lee, maybe one of your brothers will wake up and come around when they see it can be done. Be the guina pig and tell them if you do it they can too. My husband is morbidly obese and i absolutely hate it. I'm doing something about my weight but he doesn't want to do anything about his. It really bugs me, but i'm gonna try to persuade him ..... any ideas let me know

To relate a story of me first dropping weight after my Knee replacementsurgery in 03/04. I had dropped about 75 to 80 pounds. I know that the Zoloft helped me along with some motivation. The drug which is a "SSRI"--will eventually turn and bring the weight back plus more--like it's done to me.

Ok, my wife during that time met me when I was an obese 315 pounds I think. I started to drop the weight. I got to 240--seemed to be stuck for a little. I had stated to get the Lap band or the bypass. My wife blurted out--"if you get that surgery--we're getting a divorce". In her mind everybody was dying from the Bypass. Like a fool, I stopped working so hard and started to have more weight related problems. Anyway--we are Divorced anyway--in 05. I had enough of the spy game. She come from work--come to Gym and watch me. Came to any machine where I was working out on--then asked--"How long you been here? I may have said--1 hour. She say-"Ok--it's time to go". I'd look at her with a crazy look- then tell her---Go home-!

Before you knew it the reputation caught on at the "World Gym' where I was going daily. They'd say--"Lee how do you handle her s***? I'd say--I am getting out of it within the next few months. I had lost weight and she had went on to go from a size 8 to a 18. I would not lie. Her thought was pills. pills, pills would work off her weight. Once the papers were filed and the court date was maybe--5 days away. I had to pull the cord out the wall. I'd get 2, 4, 6 calls a night from her. But my point is--Many will defy you, feel threatened, lose faith and most of all--exibit "Low Self Esteem". Asking silly questions is ok and is to be expected- saying things they have not even read about--but heard.. My biggest laugh is--When weight is lost--"You can not lose weight that fast"--"the only way to do that is "Crack". "Lee you sure you're not on the rock? Or the Biggie--"Hey, Man-you sure you don't have that HIV? I'd laugh at the stupidity. Even the mis-informed and ill-informed think I am going to be too skinny and I should worry of what People will say. I will only worry that If I don't--I will be a statistic. Like the recent story in the Ebony magazine...."Why Black Men are Dying".........:clap2:

Hey Lee nice support system u had, i guess thats why she's an ex wife. I had my fill yesterday and it went real tight this afternoon and evening. It's weird learning how this thing works. Sometimes its tight sometimes its not. It's somewhat painful to learn what u can and can't eat . Oh well, live and learn. Sunday i go on a 7 day mexi cruise a group of us. I'm gonna miss LBT while I'm gone. Bye for now, Kelley

I am looking forward to kicking myself in the butt. I will miss the fried chicken, the ribs and the nice porks chops...I looked in my picture album....I gained on an average of 10 pounds per year. At age 39 in this picture of me--I was 176.....I actually was shocked to know I had a good weight.....I was shy to ake off my shirt during that time--at 175....Lord was I stupid... Now--if I am blessed and work hard to get back to that elusive 165-175...My shirt is going to come off a lot--hahahahahahaaha....I would love to go back to the Coast of Mississippi--and show the ex---but she'll say the stupid things---"Oh Lee--you look sooo sick"

:) I am looking forward to kicking myself in the butt. I will miss the fried chicken, the ribs and the nice pork chops...I looked in my picture album....I gained on an average of 10 pounds per year. At age 39 in this picture of me--I was 176.....I actually was shocked to know I had a good weight.....I was shy to ake off my shirt during that time--at 175....Lord was I stupid... Now--if I am blessed and work hard to get back to that elusive 165-175...:eek: :hungry: My shirt is going to come off a lot--hahahahahahaaha....I would love to go back to the Coast of Mississippi--and show the ex---but she'll say the stupid things---"Oh Lee--you look sooo sick":omg:

HI Lee, just wanted to say hey. I just got back from a convention in Reno. I went from Mexico where it was 85 degrees to freezing reno nv. where it was 25degrees. I canceled my fill appt today cause the last 3 days i couldn't get anything solid down. I wonder if altitude has anything to do with tightness of the band. I don't know, it's weird cause now i'm home and I feel like i can eat anything again. Talk to you later, Kelley

Today I was asked if I could make it to the Dieticians office by 10-am. It was 8:45am when I got the call. I road there and completed assessment. Funny thing--I had all test results in my folder--no referral letter and the past 3 months of weight check--absent. I am told that Feb-16th will not happen. Look at March for the surgery. Oh well--I started my diet of light meals today. I guess waiting waiting maybe 45 to 60 days--I will be ok. At least I know my foot is in the door. The list is just long...Lee

Today I was asked if I could make it to the Dieticians office by 10-am. It was 8:45am when I got the call. I road there and completed assessment. Funny thing--I had all test results in my folder--no referral letter and the past 3 months of weight check--absent. I am told that Feb-16th will not happen. Look at March for the surgery. Oh well--I started my diet of light meals today. I guess waiting waiting maybe 45 to 60 days--I will be ok. At least I know my foot is in the door. The list is just long...Lee

Lee , The bright side is your starting the process. I was self pay in mexico so i didn't have to do any waiting or even dieting before surgery. I didn't have the patience for the long insurance process, plus to even be considered i would have had to gain 20 more pounds. Keep the faith it's worth it. Kelley