Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here's to a new BEGINNING!!!

:bananapartyhat: The only food I'm allowed to have is steamed vegetables once a day but no diet drinks, only Water. I already knew that 2 wks was necessary to shrink the liver but was wondering why your doc is making you do 14 days instead of 10. You have any idea as to why this is? Gigi

Yes, i've started and ALREADY i am dying for ...something to CHEW ON. i'm not really HUNGRY---i just miss EATING, rather than drinking. it's all mental. i don't know why 2 wks are required. i guess it is for shrinking the liver, which has to be moved to get to the stomach during the surgery-that was the explanation given by the surgeon. are you allowed any food (other than Protein shakes and diet drinks) during your pre-op diet? i can have 2 cups of vegetables--cooked or raw--with no dressing. i probably had 3 yesterday--but i guess that wasn't SOOO bad!

I'm fully recovered from surgery. I'm doing good. I had one fill and not much happened. I get another fill on jan 4 , then i hope to fill some restriction. I didn't have to do the pre op diet, guess i was lucky. The first week after surgery is the toughest after that it's uphill. Good luck and happy new year and happy new life!!:)

That sounds good--if i can get thru these first few pre-op liquid diet days--i suppose i can get thru first few post-op days. especially with a good husband who supports me and will bring me everything i need. so--not that i'm looking forward to it--but i'm hoping it will be a big change in my life (i need one) and a path to better health!

please keep me posted--want to hear how you're doing!:)

girlin

nyc

:) The only food I'm allowed to have is steamed vegetables once a day but no diet drinks, only Water. I already knew that 2 wks was necessary to shrink the liver but was wondering why your doc is making you do 14 days instead of 10. You have any idea as to why this is? Gigi

i guess his experience is that this is "optimal" (in his experience) for shrinking the liver--and he puts all the patients on this. maybe it's also to demonstrate that you have the persistence to follow instructions and thus you are a good surgical and follow-up risk. i really don't know--i just know that i am getting less hungry--it's day 3. i think i had a big protein-lack headache yesterday...but today i feel better. i guess i'm just looking forward to being post-band---and getting thru the first few days of THAT!

how bout you??:)

Hello Gang....I am waiting to get into the Doctors office. Since it's the Holiday--they are all out. So when wednesday gets here. I can set up my appointments. I am hoping for the good succes. I am visualizing the working out in the gym--while the pounds melt off. But I am dead serious. 270 at 5'9" is not as bad as some--but other medical issues loom

After my surgery, the first few days i wasn't hungry at all. I craved juice and sipped that and chicken broth. But unfortunatly the appetite does come back. The docs are prepping you pre-op to stick to liqueds so it's easier after surgery. Happy new year all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am fully ready for that. The only problem I may have is--crushing my tablets of meds. I have 2 meds that is time released and they tell you--never crush. Then I take welbutrin--a weight negative antidepressive. So now all I have to do is get that increase after being on it for 2 weeks now. The normal adult dose is 300 mgs. I started on the 150-time released tabs....I am ready--who needs this 44 inch waist. I can see a 34 waist & 160 to 170 lbs in my future

You might not have to crush the pills, what about just halfing them? I'm able to swallow pills. i guess everyone is different. When is your surgery date?

I have no surgery date as of yet....I know a time released tablet can't be 1/2-ed and a capsule with little beads--can't be sure. I am supposed to talk with the Nurse on Wednesday---to set me up. That would Jan-3rd.....It's going to be ok, I have 3 other helalth(problems) issues that goes with the 39-BMI. I am hoping to get these issues gone with that surgery--the Lap band....

RAINY LAKER The preop diet for me was Instant Carnation Breakfast and I mixed it with SF Swiss miss and heated the 2% milk. I started out using skim milk, then 1% and then 2 %. That combination had enough calories to keep me satisfied. (Was what the RN suggested in the beginning) I also, wanted something to chew on, so I bought a jar of dill pickles ( 0 cal) and that really helped.

:clap2: Hopefully the RN can give you some ideas about the meds. HOPEFULLY, you will be able to swallow the meds after all. Keep us posted on your surgery date. I have my 2nd fill Jan 4. My surgery date was Nov 10 06. It wasn't so bad, I've only lost 13 lbs-but over the holidays I would have gained for sure/. Slow and steady will be fine for me. Happy New Year!!

I have really gotten smart and up to date on how to eat on the holidays. I am the one who cooks in my place--so we're not eating like there is no tomorrow. My problem of late was snaking at night. Then using that Zoloft antidepressive--which helped me gain weight. Now my antidepressive is a weight neutral tablet, but it's time released. Welbutrin, so I know it can't be crushed. Maybe I will have to change to two times a day in the regular one. The XL may have to be stopped--I'll see....Oh on the milk issue--no milk for me. I am sure I can find something that is latose free to consume. I am going to get me that protien shake with at least 35 grams of protien. So hopfully, I will begetting the adequate amount. Then Looking for my liquid Vitamin will come in handy at this time...So far with my new way of eating--I am doing pretty good as I prepare my mind for the surgery. I even lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks....That is sooo strange....Lee

I was reading about needing all the liquid meds and Vitamins and things and when i had my surgery a few hours later the nurse came round with painkiller TABLETS i was like eh,but she said they will be fine and they were i was totally gob smacked !!! though i think i would have preferred liquid as i was mentally thinking i was going to choke but my point is i could swallow BIG pills no problem chalky ones not so well though.

Yep mystique32, I accidently pulled out my IV after surgery. They gave me pain pills 4 or 5 hours after surgery. I was sent home with pain pills, nasuea pills and gas pills. So, Lee, it'll probably be the same for you. Swallow Away!!

Well....it's not that....I take welbutrin XL...they can't be crushed as I am told....So that is my big concern along Dithiltiazm HCI...it's in a capsule....I am sure there can be a alternative or something to come off of this coming 2007/2008. I am hoping my BP drops to that magical number of 120/70....