Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had band removed and revision to sleeve on 5/28. I spent 5 days in the hospital. I was able to walk 1/3 mile a day when I came home. I then had my one week checkup where they removed my staples and my incision in the belly button was found to be leaking Fluid. It was not infected. They decided to remove on staple, let it drain (dressings changed multiple times a day) and have me return in a week. I was also put on Bactrim antibiotic to prevent infection. Since last weds I have been extremely tired. I have been unable to walk what I used to, barely to the bathroom and back without being extremely winded. I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow and will express my concerns, but this is something I am quite upset about. It's now 3 weeks post op as of today, and I am not working, not driving, not sleeping in my bed, not walking, and not able to care for myself. I am seeing others fly by me in recovery and feel that I am failing. I am complying with all liquid/protein/vitamin requirements. I don't know what to do!

As a side note, I was -25lbs in a week at last weds visit. Surgery I was 406lbs and one week checkup I was 381lbs.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome. I am so desperate at this point I am sincerely questioning WHY I did this to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I too had a revision (5/20). Although mine has gone very well...I have been off work for 3 weeks and in the last week I discovered that being out that long was good. I teach middle school and decided to pop in for the last day's awards ceremony. I was wiped from just doing that. Then yesterday I went to wrap up my classroom....again, wiped out from something so piddle. I even conked out both Sat & Sun by sleeping most of the day away. And today would be my back to work day but we're out now. I can't imagine the classroom right now, whew!

I say all this because I have to remind myself I'm healing from major surgery even though it didn't cut me wide open. My 45 yr. old body needs time. I rest when I'm feeling bad and move when I'm doing well...listen to those signals. You & I both know why we did this....otherwise choosing the band in the first place wouldn't have happened (6yrs. ago for me). I want permanent change and I have to work on it a day at a time. You've mentioned you've been through a lot, but think how much you're gaining through these lessons....patience, listening to the body's signals, etc. All things we've not really done before this experience.

Chin up...know there's a bunch of us out here trudging along with you and wishing you well. Good luck!

Hopefully your surgeon will give you some guidance tomorrow that will help you. In the meantime hang in there and know that we're all rooting for you. Do let us know what you find out from your surgeon tomorrow.

First off how can you write "SLOW RECOVERY" as the title to this post?

You just had MAJOR surgery! Not everyone will bounce back right away. You have lost a lot of weight in a very short amount of time and are not eating nearly as much as you used to. Start sipping Protein shakes more often. Don't expect to "down" them in less than 15 minutes. Take your time and sip it over the course of 30-45 minutes and that may give you more energy. Also taking Vitamins will help a lot (take with your Dr's approval) esp. the B12

To be very honest it took me about a month before I felt 100% completely normal. I did feel better around the 2 week mark but I still felt tired.

Thanks for your kind words! Just as an example I walked around my living room for less than three minutes and my heart rate is up to 120bpm. Is this normal? Pre surgery I was able to be on the treadmill or elliptical for 60 minutes at a time and didn't have an issue! Just from that little walking around I am exhausted!

First off how can you write "SLOW RECOVERY" as the title to this post?

You just had MAJOR surgery! Not everyone will bounce back right away. You have lost a lot of weight in a very short amount of time and are not eating nearly as much as you used to. Start sipping Protein shakes more often. Don't expect to "down" them in less than 15 minutes. Take your time and sip it over the course of 30-45 minutes and that may give you more energy. Also taking Vitamins will help a lot (take with your Dr's approval) esp. the B12

To be very honest it took me about a month before I felt 100% completely normal. I did feel better around the 2 week mark but I still felt tired.

Thanks for your response. I know I have to keep telling myself this but my family and friends seem to expect so much more from me than I can give at this point. I am 27 years old and feel like I am 90! I have been compliant with Vitamins, will try upping my Protein as suggested. I am unable to tolerate the shakes but today is my first day allowed of full liquids so I plan on having SF pudding, ricotta cheese mixed with a tiny bit of Tomato sauce (sort of like a ravioli with no pasta) and Italian seasoning, and low fat cream of potato Soup with unflavored Protein powder added. I have been relying on egg drop Soup to get my protein in since I have been unable to drink the shakes and it's the only thing I can tolerate.

Is that normal? Well, our bodies are trying to find the new normal, LOL, and we aren't letting it :)

It may be normal for you since you have not been nearly as active as you were before surgery. If you are really concerned about your heart rate ask your DR. Personally I try not to worry until I have to worry, otherwise I will start stressing over everything.

Follow your Dr's guidelines and you will have more success!

Hmmmm... When people write that they are unable to tolerate shakes it has to do with taste, texture, or smell. Do you have a variety of shakes flavors and brands? Right now is when you need to try out samples.< /p>

I know cost is often an issue with people but think of it like this, a 2.12lb tub of Syntrax nectar Protein comes to $.83 a serving at vitacost.com.. that sounds pretty cheap when I consider the cost and flavors of the ones at costco which I found was waaaay too sweet for me.

Also you can look into Jay Robb Protein Shakes. It is all natural and comes in Egg White Protein and whey Isolate. Whichever protein you get you want to make sure that all of the essential amino acids are present in the profile otherwise you may be wasting your money and nutrition on garbage.

Yeah, unfortunately it's normal. I was walking an 18 min. mile pre surgery....I'm back to that, but again, things for me have gone really well. Since you've had such a traumatic experience with things, cut yourself some slack. This healing/recovery is WAY different from band recovery. I was up in a week after my band. This time I had the removal, revision, & hiatal hernia repair (I got a 2-fer). I'm currently discovering all the things I didn't know our diaphragm muscle actually does, (oweee!). So, I just go with the signals. I worked in my classroom yesterday...today, walking will be my task. I try to set small goals each day. Week one only had 1 "biggie" a day. My first big goal was to wash my hair in the kitchen sink. That was all I could do so the rest of the day I sat & slept. Look at daily tasks...pick one as a goal and go from there. You're doing fine and it WILL get better. Just remember, your timeline isn't the same as everyone else's. Just go with it! :-)

Thank you all. You've made me feel comforted enough to last until tomorrow's appointment.

I am unwilling to tolerate the shakes I should say. I have unflavored egg white Protein that I will add to everything now that I am on full liquids as of today.

I will try to keep telling myself that my recovery isn't the same as anyone else's. Thank you for that reminder.

I will keep you posted as to what the doctors say tomorrow.

Thank you all again.

I'm concerned about the high heart rate and being winded while walking around the living room. You said when discharged you were walking ok. Correct? I think you should give your surgeon a call. I'm concerned about a blood clot or leak. Do you have a fever?

I'm concerned about the high heart rate and being winded while walking around the living room. You said when discharged you were walking ok. Correct? I think you should give your surgeon a call. I'm concerned about a blood clot or leak. Do you have a fever?

I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow. I've been up and walking since sx, I was originally able to walk 1/3 a mile. Now I am unable to walk around the living room for five minutes without being winded.

Thermometer has consistently registered no fever. I have had dhr and loose stools. I have no pain or trouble drinking Water Gatorade or egg drop Soup. All my incisions are healing nicely except the bellybutton which has been draining for the past week.

I must admit your response has frightened me. I have been on 2x/day lovanox shots (blood thinner) since surgery 5/28. Do you still feel the same concerns? I am very upset right now.

I would call and let the surgeon decide if he wants to see you today or wait until tomorrow. I'm concerned about your being winded today, when you could walk 1/3 of a mile last week...

Better safe than sorry.

I'm not a medical person (well mental health) but related to one. Lol.

So any of you medical types chime in here.

I would call and let the surgeon decide if he wants to see you today or wait until tomorrow. I'm concerned about your being winded today' date=' when you could walk 1/3 of a mile last week...

Better safe than sorry.[/quote']

My weakness and inability to walk long distances directly coincided with my starting to take the antibiotic for my stomach. I thought that was the problem perhaps.