Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 4 post-op and feeling so fine!

Dear Community,

This is a brief account of my surgery experience and first weeks after. I am 54, need to lose about 100 pounds, and researched this procedure thoroughly beforehand. My surgery date was 5/9.

I just want to say that overall, it was (surprisingly!) much easier than I expected. I did NOT have a great deal of pain or discomfort, nor am I finding the post-sleeve eating and other routines to be that difficult. I'm so happy to have done this.

As with most people, having bariatric surgery certainly WAS NOT my first choice! In fact, I was a bit shocked and insulted when my PCP suggested it to me 4 years ago. But since then (2009), having lost about 50 pounds and regained it TWICE -- and having developed some serious health issues -- I realized this had to happen. It did take a while to get my family on board. Since I've already told my "pre" story, I won't go in to all that -- you can read my earlier post. But suffice to say, I went in to this with "eyes wide open." I prepared an advance directive and a living will, too. It was difficult for me to know how to respond when the nurse, nutritionist, or someone else would say, "Are you excited about your surgery?" Well, no. I'm actually pretty scared. This is a desperation move, not something I'm doing for "fun."

The pre-op "liver shrinking diet" was difficult for me, but I followed it pretty closely and worked at being in the best possible shape. My heaviest weight was about 255. I lost around 12 pounds in the 3 months it took to get prepared and "approved" for the procedure -- about 4 of that the last week. By the time May 9 rolled around, I was very happy the wait was over. Here are a few things I'd like to share about my experience:

1 - The doctor fixed a hiatal hernia I didn't know I had, which made the surgery a bit longer. That was something nobody had prepared me for ahead of time. Luckily for me, I didn't have much pain or trouble as a result of that secondary (necessary) procedure. A little chest ache was all.

2 - I was DYING of thirst every moment from the time I woke up until about 9 days after the surgery. Sipping ice Water was no problem for me, whatsoever. I asked for Water in the recovery room -- they gave me ice chips. I had no problem swallowing water the night of the surgery, and icy cold water felt best.

3 - The only really "bad" moment was when I first woke up from surgery. I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Also, I was discombobulated -- the clock said 3:30! My surgery had been scheduled for 10 a.m. but started late. Still, it seemed really late when I woke up.

4 - I felt stupid having my own pajamas and all these toiletries in the hospital. I used NONE of it. I was in a gown, and they wouldn't let me change out of it. My bathrobe did come in handy though, for covering my hind quarters as I walked around the floor. They brought me to my room around 4:30 p.m. They got me up to walk at 3 a.m., and I was discharged at 3:30 p.m. the next day. I had an upper GI exam that morning and also needed to be able to urinate and drink before I could leave. No problem. Was VERY glad to get that JP drain pulled and IVs out.

5 - When I got home, I didn't know what to do with myself. I was pretty spaced out. I wandered around the house a bit. My stomach was very swollen. I looked like a pregnant woman who had been in a knife fight. Spent a lot of time the first couple days drinking water and taking short walks and napping. By the third day, I was able to take a 15-minute walk outside with my dog.

6 - Someone told me it's best not to weigh yourself for the first couple days. That's good advice. I couldn't resist and felt very glum when I noticed up was UP six pounds three days after the surgery. I said to my husband, "Do you think I'll really lose weight with this? Or will I just stay fat or even get fatter?" He said, "Well, if you get fatter, they'll be marketing you to third world countries, because that's just not logical." (I had taken in a total of about 500 calories in the first 3 days!)

7 - At my two-week checkup, I had lost 17 pounds. I think about 15 of it was post-surgical. I lost about a pound a day for the first 2 weeks. The third week (last week), I had lost another 4 pounds. My policy is, I weigh myself on Thursdays.

8 - I was incredibly happy to get off the "liquid diet" phase. Those Meal Replacement shakes were starting to make me ill. They get OLD. The best thing I had during the liquid phase was cream of chicken Soup jazzed with non-flavored Protein powder and mixed with some homemade chicken broth. I'm REALLY glad I made homemade chicken broth and froze it in 8-oz containers prior to the surgery. It came in really handy.

9 - My husband has been so supportive. He says I already look a lot better, and I think that's true, too. I'm even moving better (already!) -- more lively and energetic. I know I'm lucky to have time to adjust to this. I am a college teacher and don't teach during the summers.

10 - I didn't know I would have to inject myself with blood thinners for 14 days. That was unpleasant. I did get used to doing it, though. I found it easiest to do when I first woke up, and I would just lie on my bed and give myself the shot in my stomach. They also prescribed anti-nausea medicine and hydrocodone for pain. It was difficult to turn over or sleep on my side for the first 4 nights or so; but the pain wasn't bad. After about a week, I didn't feel like I needed any pain meds. (I stopped taking them during the day after about 3 days.)

11 - I bought a mortar and pestle yesterday to grind up the Calcium citrate tablets. It just seems ridiculous, to me, to spend up to 20 cents per pill for chewable Calcium, when you have to take so much of it -- it was costing about $1.20 a day just for calcium chews. Now, I pulverize the hard tablets and put them in applesauce.

12 - I've eaten a couple things that made me instantly sick -- things with too much "texture." It's taught me that it's really best to follow the doctor's guidelines. Not fun throwing up.

13 - I drink about 6 oz. of coffee in the morning. My doctor's office says it's OK, and it makes my life happier!

14 - My next BIG GOAL is for the first digit of my weight to be a "1," which is something that happened briefly in 2008, during my "diet pill" attempt. I have about 20 pounds to go before that happens.

15 - This is weird and different for me. The thing I like best is not being very hungry, and also feeling full after eating about 3/4 cup of food. But it's a big adjustment, because prior to this, I was a bulk eater and a snacker. I know the new reality will have its challenges.

16 - My fear is that I'll eat small amounts too often and stretch my stomach or just take in too many calories. I have to be very vigilant in avoiding Snacks. Since this surgery cost me a LOT of money, I'm just going to think of that bill every time I'm tempted to snack.< /p>

18 - I am finding it difficult to get 60 grams of Protein a day in and for now am simply doing the best I can. (40-50) I know I could add a Protein shake at around 4 p.m., but quite honestly, I'm so turned off now by the thought of those shakes (after almost 4 weeks of drinking Boost, Glucerna, and Ensure!) that it makes me nauseous even thinking about it. I do have powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury powder when I need it -- chocolate and unflavored.

19 - I've been going to bed kind of early and also napping/reading some in the afternoons. Maybe I'm lazy, but I feel like I need time to heal, and I tire a bit more easily than before.

20 - Overall, I'm THRILLED with the progress so far. It's hard to be patient sometimes -- you want everything to happen at once! But I had a lot of fears of the unknown, and my experience was really not bad at all. Most of my recovery and first weeks have been smooth sailing.

Thanks for listening. I just wanted to share that it's been really good so far for me.

I'm happy for you! Thank you for sharing. My new stomach is 3 weeks old today.

I really enjoyed your post! I lost 55 pounds before surgery, and was sleeved on May 24th. I'm also REALLY sick of the drink boxes. BTW - the Unjury chicken Soup Protein Powder is pretty good too! I've lost an additional 12 pounds since surgery (I gained 8 pounds in 36 hours in the hospital, and lost 9.5 within 24 hours of being home - crazy Fluid shifts!). I'm curious what foods have made you ill, and what foods you've been able to tolerate. I can't wait until I'm at the 4 week mark, and then I can start real food. Thanks again!

Grreat information, THANK YOU!

I have about 3 hrs before I go to the hospital. This is so exciting we are all getting sleeved to day. Looks like the losers bench will be full today. Good luck to all of us!

Good luck to all of you!!! This is exciting and I want hear all about it once you are feeling better!!

Thank you soooo much for sharing....Congrats and good luck

I'm 3 days post op and struggling a bit - many of the same challenges you mentioned. Your post really helped me to feel better and give me hope that it won't be too long before I'm in a better place. Thanks for sharing your experience - it's really what I needed right now. :)

I really enjoyed your post! I lost 55 pounds before surgery, and was sleeved on May 24th. I'm also REALLY sick of the drink boxes. BTW - the unjury chicken Soup Protein powder is pretty good too! I've lost an additional 12 pounds since surgery (I gained 8 pounds in 36 hours in the hospital, and lost 9.5 within 24 hours of being home - crazy Fluid shifts!). I'm curious what foods have made you ill, and what foods you've been able to tolerate. I can't wait until I'm at the 4 week mark, and then I can start real food. Thanks again!

Hi Knitting Girl!

You asked about food tolerances and things that made me ill. The "offending" foods were a Morningstar Veggie Patty on one occasion and some baked chicken on another. I chewed both really well, but within 10 minutes of eating them, my stomach was in extreme pain, then I threw up. I think in both cases it was that the foods had too much texture or hardness -- it felt like I had swallowed rocks. I started trying out a few really soft foods even before the 2-week "liquid" phase was up -- scrambled egg and cottage cheese. Both of these I tolerated well. I tried adding unflavored Protein Powder to a scrambled egg but found it made it too rubbery. Once I started "soft and mushy," I did really well with baked cod or haddock and canned chicken. Right now I have only 3 days left until the "official" 4-week mark, so I will be testing out various meats, and am hoping I can eat basically the same things for dinner as my husband and son. Good luck to you in your journey, and thanks for your reply!!

Thanks NewStarter! I don't like fish, so I have very high hopes for chicken. I will make sure to mix the chicken with either BBQ Sauce or fat-free gravy so it's not dry, and I will chew it to death! I'm looking forward to the start of week 5 when I can have a chicken stew type recipe made in the crock pot! Thanks again and best wishes to you!