Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When is it ok to do sit ups???

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was cleared for exercise at 4 weeks. Just take it easy at first and listen to your body. If you want to play it safe wait till your 6 weeks out.

With that said, Sit ups are not going to make your stomach smaller. You can't spot reduce fat. You need to lower your overall body fat percentage to make your midsection smaller. You do that by diet and cardio. You can continue to do ab exercises but you wont see any abs unless your body fat is really low.

Where did you hear sit ups will not make stomach smaller? I figure with the diet im already doing plus sit ups it will make stomach more toned

Hi. I heard the same thing from my trainer. While core exercises are important (strengthening that area helps with balance and exercise form) you won't SEE the results until your body fat % is relatively low.

Yes, I heard the same thing. You will be tightening the muscle but until most of the fat is gone you will not notice.

Where did you hear sit ups will not make stomach smaller? I figure with the diet im already doing plus sit ups it will make stomach more toned

Under the fat....but you will not see it until the fat is gone. The toned abs will be hidden under the fat. Only diet and cardio can get rid of the fat on top.

All i really wanted to know was when its ok to do sit ups

All i really wanted to know was when its ok to do sit ups

refer to post #2

I havent done the sleeve yet but researching and I have a lot of questions, I know that one is sit ups. Does it hurt when you start getting back into the gym and doing sit ups? How does it feel knowing your working with your stomach. Please let me know, thanks for listening and hope that I decide on whats my next chapter is going to be.

Katina :)

I did around 300 sit-ups earlier this week FAST and it felt fine. We did this in about 6 min with alternating jump ropes every 50.I was a little sore around the core yesterday, but that was only from all the sit-ups. Fine today. My cross fit trainer is always pushing me to do crazy exercises. Good luck. Please do wait until you are plenty healed before attempting this.

If I may ask, do you have the sleeve done and how long? Guess im new to all this and just want to make sure that this would be a good choice for me.

I am almost 1 year post op (July 2nd). I lost 192 lb on Feb 25th. After that I gained about 15 lbs in attempt to build up physique. In the last 2 months I have been leaning out and still increasing lean muscle (dropped about 5% to 16%). The sleeve is definitely worth it!!

That's amazing. Well you answered one of my questions and Im still writing my pros and cons. Keep up the great work! Hopefully when I do decide I will feel happy and healthy in my new journey I decide on.

Sit ups, crunches, planks etc are good exercises to do, but it's true, they will not cause you to have a trim waist. If anything, working them intensely and hard can actually make your waist bigger, if not combined with fat loss. Bigger abs and obliques can also be a good thing if you have saggy skin or can help prevent or reduce saggy skin after weight loss by filling in the space where the fat has vacated. I know when I was 315+ pounds, I did some cruches and many compound movements that used my core, and my torso and waist would actually get bigger. I still ate tons on food at that point. Our fat is stored on top of our abs and we could really have ripped strong abs, but unless we reduce the fat on top of it, they just will not show and if the abs grow, they'll just push the fat out even further. I always say that "my abs are ripped! underneath all of my fat". :P

I havent done the sleeve yet but researching and I have a lot of questions, I know that one is sit ups. Does it hurt when you start getting back into the gym and doing sit ups? How does it feel knowing your working with your stomach. Please let me know, thanks for listening and hope that I decide on whats my next chapter is going to be.

Katina :)

I started doing core work about 2-3 weeks after surgery, but since that's the area where they cut to do your sleeve, you'll want to be patient and careful getting back into it. Generally, once you're 6-8 weeks post op, you're fine to do all the core work as often and as intensely as you want.