Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the sleeve cure your food addiction?

I am a food addict and compulsive eater. I have a lapband, but am considering revision.....what I really need is my brain to be banded, cause my head will do anything to get around following the rules etc.... So I can eat. So, how will it be different with the sleeve, or will it????

Sorry but to answer your question, nope it wont. The only way to "cure" your food addiction is through therapy and counseling. The sleeve will only prevent you from eating large quantities at a time as your stomach is much smaller. There are also slider foods, that you can eat a lot of, so there are ways of eating around the sleeve as well. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the mental issues of compulsive eating. :(

It helps.... my desires have changed. However, I do daily make the decision to eat healthy. For example I am aware not a lot of food fits.... So I eat healthy stuff first and am full before I eat all the healthy stuff.

Yep.. Exactly what magpie said.

I am a food addict and compulsive eater. I have a lapband' date=' but am considering revision.....what I really need is my brain to be banded, cause my head will do anything to get around following the rules etc.... So I can eat. So, how will it be different with the sleeve, or will it????[/quote']

From one food addict to another? No it does not.

It gives you a little time and space in the very beginning stages to help work on your issues.. But it's still a lot of work everyday not to eat around the sleeve. Eating around the sleeve is pretty easy, most processed or junk food goes down really easy and clears your stomach faster so you can easily eat all day still if you really had the compulsion too.

As they say its a "tool" definitely not a cure.. But it's the best we have,

So it's possible to succeed if you really work hard. That's what I'm trying to do :)

I think it helps, not a cure, but I find at almost 5 months out, I do NOT have the desire to eat the same way, food Make me fill yucky...Lot interest in food, for more than fule...I know everyone is different, but I was a Major Closet Eater, and Lots and Lots of food. Now it will not fit, not even the "slider"foods....Good Luck wiht your decision, and remember everyone is different.

I and finding it odd, at how many ppl are saying how easy it is to eat around the sleeve...I dont know if I am having other Issues or Just Lucky, but at 5 months out I STILL cant eat MUCH of anything...

I and finding it odd' date=' at how many ppl are saying how easy it is to eat around the sleeve...I dont know if I am having other Issues or Just Lucky, but at 5 months out I STILL cant eat MUCH of anything...[/quote']

Well I find it odd that you find it odd..... :P

Really things change when you get a bit further out for a lot of people. At around six months your stomach relaxes some. And the thing about food addiction is you will eat past the point of being "full" you will eat even if there is pain, you will wait until your stomach clears a bit or clear it yourself to eat some more...

Eating around the sleeve is easy! Eat a cupcake, wait 30 minutes, eat a handful of Doritos, wait an hour, have a few Cookies, and so on. I know because I've had a day like this before. It's important to know the rules are easily broken and really work on your addiction. I don't think I'll ever be "cured" but I find ways to occupy my time. It's something you have to be conscious of 24/7! Good luck to you and this is a great place for support!

Well I find it odd that you find it odd..... :P

Really things change when you get a bit further out for a lot of people. At around six months your stomach relaxes some. And the thing about food addiction is you will eat past the point of being "full" you will eat even if there is pain, you will wait until your stomach clears a bit or clear it yourself to eat some more...

I so know about food addiction, I did not get to 264lbs with out eatting past the point of Full,then only a few hours later eat again... However AFTER the sleeve, I just can NOT do it....I have eatten to much a time or two but was SO sick I do not want to do that again....So I think YES the Sleeve helps with Food Addiction. As a "Tool" you can not continue to eat and eat, your body will NOT let you.

So My Point is Yes, the Sleeve will Help you with Food Addiction. You still have to work on your thoughts and way of thinking, but will HELP for sure.

I so know about food addiction, I did not get to 264lbs with out eatting past the point of Full,then only a few hours later eat again... However AFTER the sleeve, I just can NOT do it....I have eatten to much a time or two but was SO sick I do not want to do that again....So I think YES the Sleeve helps with Food Addiction. As a "Tool" you can not continue to eat and eat, your body will NOT let you.Hi I am not sleeved yet but my surgery is approaching, I have read hundreds of posts and have come to the conclusion that some lucky ones like yourself are left with that gift, Yes I call that a gift I am a compulsive eater and food addict and I pray my body responds like that. So I wont be able to go back to my wicked ways and work through my problems with food.

If you believe you are addicted then the only thing that will 'cure' you of that is right up there in your head. The sleeve can't alter what you think or what you believe. The sleeve can't make choices for you, and though it will let you know when you make some poor ones, there are other poor ones you can make post sleeve that it won't even notice. Like a mars bar milkshake.

Only you can cure you of believing you are addicted to food. You have the power here to change this, not the sleeve.

I tend to agree with laura-ven...I had hoped to be like GoldyGirl, but my feeling is that if I don't use this time (I am about 4 weeks out) to develop better and healthier eating behaviors, I will find ways to "eat around" the sleeve eventually...as others have described here, this is a tool to sort of even the playing field...I wanted to get my diabetes under control and lose enough weight to start exercising, but I know the work is going to be difficult to maintain and will require re-training on my part (oh and for me, prayer)

.Hi I am not sleeved yet but my surgery is approaching, I have read hundreds of posts and have come to the conclusion that some lucky ones like yourself are left with that gift, Yes I call that a gift I am a compulsive eater and food addict and I pray my body responds like that. So I wont be able to go back to my wicked ways and work through my problems with food.< /p>

I will also pray that your body responds the same way....and as I said it is not a cure all, but it is day and night from before the surgery...I am 5 months out and still NOT been actually hungry at all not even once......Best of Luck to you!