Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide what WLS to have?

I peeked over at the lapband talk site and noticed a few posts about people asking lapband vs sleeve. How did you decide the sleeve was what you wanted? Why NOT lapband?

I'm still new-ish here but I haven't noticed as many people here considering lapband as those on lapband talk considering sleeve...That might be a false observation but if it's not...then why?

I think because most people here know that the long term complication rate for the lap band is MUCH higher?

I thought I wanted the Lap band then I started researching and found out that this foreign body they call the lap band is not a permanent solution and will more than likely have to be taken out via a second surgery because of its high failure rate.

Who on here is considering lapband? lol - not true from what I've seen!!

I chose sleeve over band because I didn't want to bother with fills, I didn't want a foreign object in my body, it has higher long-term complication rates and from what I've seen on this forum, many people are dissatisfied with their weight loss from the band and get a revision to the sleeve.

I chose sleeve over RNY because RNY makes you sick. It makes you sick if you want to enjoy something you 'shouldn't'. It makes you sick because your body can't absorb Vitamins and minerals the same way and you suffer nutritional deficits that can be life long. And I didn't want my intestines cut up. With RNY, your stomach is still there, meaning it might NOT take your hunger away and it has a chance of stretching your pouch so that you gain weight - but still have to deal with the nutritional deficits because you can eat as much as before, but your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs from your food. It's harder to find a balance with that surgery.

I chose sleeve for ME because it offers what I need: portion control! I'm 3 wks post op and I feel like I eat like I did before, as far as the size of bites. I drink the same as well, I haven't had any nausea, vomiting, food intolerance... in short, my recovery has been great. The sleeve, IMO, offers a more 'normal' post op life. Once I'm done with my stages, i can eat pretty much whatever I want, just a LOT less of it. Of course, I've made changes to what I'll eat. I'll make healthy choices more often than not, but if I want to have cake on my birthday, it won't make me violently ill (like with RNY). Plus, I wanted a permanent tool. I don't see the point (for me) in getting a band because I think the big selling point with the band is that it's "reversible", meaning you can have another uncomfortable surgery to remove the band, when I need something that will help me for the rest of my life. So between the band or the permanent surgeries, I chose something permanent. And, for me, the pros/cons of VSG vs. RNY are clearly in favor of VSG.

Everyone is different and has different opinions, obviously. It's smart to check out all your options before committing to anything.

Good luck!

Maybe what I should have said was that I haven't seen anyone on here ask about lapband but quite a few posts about sleeves on the lapband site. It just made me curious.

I also chose the sleeve because I didn't like the idea of having a foreign object left in me that can be adjusted or removed. I also know several people who either didn't lose weight or lose nearly enough for it to be worth it. I worked with a girl who could still take down an entire Chipotle burrito with chips, guac and a 32 oz soda. What's the point? I didn't like the RNY because I didn't want my intestines messed with, and the absorption and dumping was more than I wanted to deal with. I also know a guy who is still over 400 pounds 10 years post RNY. Sooo I went with the sleeve and could not be happier with my choice. I feel very satisfied with a small amount of food and have ZERO cravings. I had only a few complications and they were worth it. Pain was minimal, recovery was fairly easy except for the lack of energy which was my own fault as I cut down on my Protein Shakes too early. Best of luck to you!

I peeked over at the lapband talk site and noticed a few posts about people asking lapband vs sleeve. How did you decide the sleeve was what you wanted? Why NOT lapband?

I'm still new-ish here but I haven't noticed as many people here considering lapband as those on lapband talk considering sleeve...That might be a false observation but if it's not...then why?

I am choosing the sleeve because after 4 years of hell with the lapband and getting an emergency removal I am starting my journey all over again to achieve my weight loss because the lapband never worked for me .therfore I am back to square one to try to loose 60 lbs .

Maybe what I should have said was that I haven't seen anyone on here ask about lapband but quite a few posts about sleeves on the lapband site. It just made me curious.

Maybe why no one is talking about the Lap Band is because this is a place for talking about VSG. You might ask people on lapbandtalk.com why they didn't get the sleeve. Also maybe talk to people who went from band to sleeve. For me... When thinking about the band. The chance of having a 2nd surgery for removal is high. But VSG is forever. That can be good or bad. Good luck!!!

Hi, I think the reason is that by the time people find this website, they have already checked out the options and determined that the sleeve is right for them.....that is the case for me. :-)

I also have rheumatoid arthritis among other things, so my body turns on itself and attacks is own joints, so there is no way I could have a foreign apparatus installed....

I would be faced with pain, physical rejection and probably infections too....with the sleeve the only foreign objects are the tiny titanium staples which hopefully my body will adjust to quickly and ignore while it focuses on healing.....

I also have to be able to take a variety of oral medications, and need them absorbed so the bypass was out, and the band could cause problems with my ability to take the meds too....the sleeve won't be a problem expect for the first few days when I will be on pain meds anyway.

I also know myself and do not want something as easily manipulated as the lap band...I would just set myself up for failure if I had the band.

Hope this helps answer your questions. Good luck on your journey!!

i know for me i DID really give the lap band alot of thought almost 2 years of thought lol. i knew i didnt want gastric because it terrified me to have stuff dettached and moved and reattached, so gastric was out....then along came the band had some friends do it....they got so so recults or none at all. they had issues... and another thing i couldnt get past having some weird plasticy thing in my body with scar tissue forming and slippage ect. so my mother in law got this vertical sleeve done....hmmmmm i had never heard of it at the time this was 2 years ago. i thought wow no moving parts around weird...no foreign objects left in me...low complications....this sounds perfect. so i watched my 59 year old mom in law do this and be at her goal weight 1 year later almost 100 lbs lighter and no complications whatso ever. she still could eat any food she wanted...just smaller amounts......no dumping syndrome ect... so i said this is for me sign me up...took about a year thru the military.....and my personal timing...but here i am 3 mo post op 70 lbs lighter....30 of it pre op diet. and feeling my best ever. i will never regret this decision. my life even if i couldnt lose another pound is already 1000 times better i was almost bed ridden for 2 years due to severe back issues and last month i walked a 5 k for first time in my life. no regrets!

i know for me i DID really give the lap band alot of thought almost 2 years of thought lol. i knew i didnt want gastric because it terrified me to have stuff dettached and moved and reattached' date=' so gastric was out....then along came the band had some friends do it....they got so so recults or none at all. they had issues... and another thing i couldnt get past having some weird plasticy thing in my body with scar tissue forming and slippage ect. so my mother in law got this vertical sleeve done....hmmmmm i had never heard of it at the time this was 2 years ago. i thought wow no moving parts around weird...no foreign objects left in me...low complications....this sounds perfect. so i watched my 59 year old mom in law do this and be at her goal weight 1 year later almost 100 lbs lighter and no complications whatso ever. she still could eat any food she wanted...just smaller amounts......no dumping syndrome ect... so i said this is for me sign me up...took about a year thru the military.....and my personal timing...but here i am 3 mo post op 70 lbs lighter....30 of it pre op diet. and feeling my best ever. i will never regret this decision. my life even if i couldnt lose another pound is already 1000 times better i was almost bed ridden for 2 years due to severe back issues and last month i walked a 5 k for first time in my life. no regrets![/quote']

Awesome story...I just got my approval today and cannot wait!!!

In my research, the statistics showed that a) people don't lose as much with the band as they do with the sleeve, B) people are FAR more likely to gain the weight back with the lap band (I do that pretty well on my own without surgery!), and c) my PCP and a family friend who is a physician both advised AGAINST the lap band because they both felt it had too many complications associated with it, and the weight loss was not what it should be. My surgeon gave me the thumbs up to choose any of the three surgeries based on my medical history. When I told him that I was mainly waivering between the sleeve and bypass, he encouraged me to do the sleeve. That settled my decision.

I have a friend who did the lapband, she needed to lose 75 pounds, and she has nothing bad to say about it, she loves it.....she's 3 years out, and has no problems of any kind (just wanted to get that out there).....and looks fabulous.

I've decided on the VSG because I don't want to deal with fills, the foreign object in my body and complications that can occur.......Ive read about a lof of revisions from lapband to RNY or VSG........and I don't want to go through this twice LOL

Good luck with with whatever you decide to do.

I went to a lap band seminar because I liked the idea it was reversible .... However with my auto immune disease and history of Lupus in my family the doctor told me Sleeve would be a better option... I had never heard of the sleeve so I went home and researched, and I mean researched... For 3 years!!! Now here I am almost there and feel blessed I didn't get lap band because I don't think I would have had that good of success with it...

There are a lot of us band to sleeve revision folks here. I love my sleeve. While the band is removeable the damage that it can do to your body through no fault of your own can be irreversible and will place you in a higher risk category if/when another surgery is needed. I will also say that with my band I was always hungry and throwing up, not the case with my sleeve.

I went with the band because I was naive and didn't research it. I was ricidulous and I should have realized it was not a good option when two cordinators I went with had revised from band to sleeve. How stupid could I be? Dying twice convinced me that the band is not a safe option to consider for most people.

RESEARCH. Go to the lapband forum and search complications. It's outrageous that the band hasn't been recalled.