Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not an emotional eater but I just LOVE food. worried.

I'm pre op. I'm 23. BMI 43.

I've been told (by people who don't know me very well) that people my size HAVE to have emotional eating issues to get this big.

But I don't think I have those issues. When I am sad/angry/disappointed, I usually tend to eat less because I withdrawal a little into myself. My therapist doesn't believe I emotionally eat either. My family is not large like me and we don't have things centered on food.

Do I overeat? Absolutely! I struggle a lot with insulin hunger (I have PCOS and insulin resistance) but I also just plain love food! I just love how most things taste! I'll overeat sometimes because I love the taste and I think I'm addicted to that.

Okay, so one time, I got a horrible sinus infection that rendered me unable to smell or taste for 2 weeks. My boyfriend made a new African dish with chicken and exotic spices and I couldn't bear to eat even a bite since I couldn't taste it. I actually cried because it looked so amazing and I just wanted to taste it and I couldn't! I ended up losing 5lb because I couldn't eat anything without taste.

Is anyone else like me? I'm a total foodie. I love to cook and experiment.

How has surgery affected your foodie-ness? Am I at a disadvantage because I love food and eat because I love to eat not because of feelings?

I am frustrated because I look up stuff about food addiction but a lot of it has to do with emotional issues. I just love eating too much.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using VST

ok...none of us would be in our situations if we didnt LOVE food.....I am a carb addict....I admit it....but I will tell you one thing this journey has really opened my eyes to alot of stuff...Not sure where you are located and if you are having your surgery locally to you...We have support groups that meet here for Bariatric patients...I have to say that I really enjoy going and sharing with others in the same situation...

I'm a meat addict. And I love cheese. And dark chocolate. I like carbs but feel sick if I eat them so I avoid them cause I can't stand nausea. I had a craving for moist cake today but I managed to fight it off and drink coffee instead.

I've only been to weekly individual therapy. I would go to a support group but the one near me meets once a month and it conflicts with my work (I work evenings and nights only). If I worked days it would work but nope. So I'll probably have to continue with individual therapy only after my surgery because that's what works.

So yeah, this site is the only real connection I have to anyone who is doing the surgery too.

When i was in my 20s i said the exact same thing as you hon. The truth is- when people eat past an average amount of food to fill them up- it truly is emotional eating. It is a mental game through and through. When you are able to use the surgery help you as a tool--- you will begin to see clearly how often you ate out of different emotions - such as boredom, loneliness, rejection, fear, insecurity, anger, hate..the list goes on. Do not fool yourself to thinking you do not eat emotionally - or you will struggle harder..good luck sweetie.

But how come I've been to therapy (still going) plus nutritional counseling and neither them nor me think I do this? I've journaled, etc. I just eat too much of things I like, some of which are healthy and some that aren't. All delicious.

I don't eat much when I'm upset. I don't snack (my nutritionist tells me I should but I can't), I don't even eat special food on holidays (my family doesn't really do anything and I don't go to parties).

I'll eat to the point that it's a bit uncomfortable because it tastes so good.

I think I am addicted to food but to the taste not because I'll eat anything when I'm sick. I don't believe this is a one size fits all. If it were, why wouldn't my therapists tell me so?

It doesn't matter why you ate. After surgery you will still be able to enjoy all the foods you love. The trick is you will be able to enjoy it and still stop when you have had enough. You won't feel the compulsion to have more and more. That compulsion you feel now is not just being a foodie. Notice how many food critics are lean. They can enjoy and appreciate wonderful food without losing self control or perspective. You will be able to do that too. I think you may be surprised at the emotional issues that will come up after this surgery. The beauty is that you will be able to take them on. Your stomach will no longer be dragging you around on a leash.

I worry I am going to stretch it because I don't feel satisfied and want to taste more.

Then again I can't stand nausea or stomach pain and I know that wold happen but I still worry.

I tend to feel like you do, OnlyDown. I eat way less when I'm upset, I love to cook, I love to read cookbooks & experiment with different ingredients, and I rarely snack. I haven't eaten fast food in years. I am definitely a foodie, and I worried about losing that passionate part of me. About a year ago, my husband reconnected with an old classmate just as she & her husband were thinking of relocating to our town. They have both had DS surgery & they are even more hardcore foodies than I am. They ended up moving here & getting to know them has shown me that I can have surgery & still maintain my foodie ways. It will be different, but I'm looking at post-op life as a creative challenge foodwise. I am thinking about post-op food already, and have begun to shift my food choices to fall in line with post-op life (my surgery is June 19). I've been exploring the paleo diet principles, and am even thinking of trying to make my own low-sodium Jerky to snack on for Protein. So, I think it can still be fun & interesting, just with some adjustments. :rolleyes:

I'm still a foodie.. The BEST part of having the surgery is I can buy really expensive ingredients because I don't need much. Scallops, shrimp, gourmet cheeses.... It's AWESOME! It took me a while to become mentally satisfied with my small plate of food, but I'm used to it now and yes, a bite or two of each thing DOES satisfy me now. It didn't at first.. I'd want to cry because I WANTED more.. I was USED to more. but I'm only two months out and I'm already content with my portion sizes so it really didn't take me long to adjust.

It's AMAZING how much of my eating was driven by hunger. I still get hungry.. but it's not constant and it's easily tamed by an ounce of really decadent cheese.... before surgery it would have taken a freaking BLOCK of cheese.< /p>

I love the idea of being able to afford expensive, high quality ingredients, like amazing cheese.

How do you get yourself to be mentally satisfied with a small amount of food? I'm sure that is difficult!

I struggle so much with hunger, a lot of it from insulin resistance. I never had this until I got insulin resistance. It's horrible.

I want to be satisfied with just a tiny bit but I'm worried I won't get used to it.

Thanks for the input btw guys. It really helps. I don't currently have a group to go to.

I'm a foodie too and I actually find it manageable post surgery, in that I keep a variety in what I'm eating (within my NUT's list of allowed foods). I also still experiment with preparing my Proteins in all different ways, and finding recipes to jazz up my boring fish, beef, chicken, etc. The other day I even made crispy cottage cheese patties with fresh chives, yay! :oP The only downside for me I will say, is that I can't eat in quantity anymore...and being a foodie I love the tastes so much I would like to eat more of it. But the pro's of the surgery far outweigh this limitation...and the limitation is actually a blessing when all's said and done. I'm just trying to teach myself how to enjoy and savor the flavor of the small portions I have, and for that to be enough.

I'm thinking it will be worth it too. I am trying to grieve the loss at least partially before it happens.

It will be a struggle but I need to be healthy so I don't get diabetes or set myself up for an early death or painful life. That's the only real reason I'm doing this.

I love food but not enough to die for it.

I think all of us struggle with the idea of not eating platefuls of food when choosing this surgery....Currently on my clear liquid diet...I have surgery tomorrow and yesterday was hard cuz it was the 1st full meal I cooked for my family since I started my liquid diet and I wasnt hungry but my head was say damn wouldnt that taste good...I had to fight the temptation to l lick my fingers after putting the food on my kids plates...but I remembered the journey I began and want to succeed with. I know the journey is a scary one to start but things are gonna be ok...you made a choice and you will do great....We all struggle with the fact that we will not be able to enjoy the foods that we over induldge in right now....

Keep your head up and remember and see the path ahead of you and things will be GREAT!

I too Love FOOD!! But since my surgery for the first time in my life i feel full like a normal person!! Before i could never understand how a person could be happy and full eating a sandwich!! I would have to eat 2!! now i can eat 1 like everyone else and i am fully satisfied!! Its a great feeling!! Same with Lean cusine or Smart ones i would eat 1 and then go eat something else because i was still hungry! Now i can barely finish 1 meal!! For me the surgery has made all of the difference!!

I am a very social eater. I love food... GOOD food. I love the company when I eat too. I missed my food friend when I was on the pre-op and post-op liquid phases. I could smell good food with friends and I wanted to partake but I stood strong and reminded myself that later one I could have this and that.

You will eventually be able to eat what you want, but you will have to savor it a bit more and eat slower. Also, you will eat a lot less. Remember you can make food your friend again just not your lover.