Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Geiss, Long Island

Hi everyone...

I'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone had their surgery done by Dr. Geiss and paid out of pocket. Do you have any idea what the procedure costs? Thanks...:eek:

Jamie

Hi Jamie, I know someone who used Dr. Geiss but I don't know what the cost was. I used Dr. Garber and I think it was somewhere around $27,000. At least that's what I can tell when the insurance papers come to my house. Have you checked with his office?

Lana

I had Dr. Geiss do my band but I didn't pay out of pocket. My insurance paid for it. The insurance papers said that it cost them 23,000.

Hi Jamie, I was just wondering how your appt went with Dr. Garber. I had my first fill today and I was thinking about you. I hope all went well. Happy New Year.

Hi Lana,

How do you feel after your first fill? Hope you're doing well. :rolleyes:

I'm so confused right now! As you know, I went for the consult with Dr. Garber 3 weeks ago, my BMI was like 38, he said I was not a candidate for surgery unless I had co morbidities, and that I should see if I have sleep apnea. Well, I went to Dr. Genevose the Pulmonologist, he discovered that I have asthma and recommended the sleep study, which I went to on Tuesday. I'm just worried that I won't be approved by Blue Cross, and I really doubt I have sleep apnea. Is asthma considered a co morbidity? I'm getting down thinking I am going through the motions and won't be approved. How long did the whole process take for you?

Hi Jamie

My fill went great. It only hurt for a second but it's working. I feel the same as when I got out of surgery and couldn't eat much of anything for awhile. I don't think I really had sleep apnea either but I think they "found" a way for me to have it slightly. You don't have any other co-morbidities? Like achey joints, stress incontenence, have trouble breathing when walking? Those would all be co-morbidities. I don't think asthma is one but why don't you email Dr. Garber and ask him. He's very good at answering emails. I had my first consult with him on 7/29 and had my surgery 11/14. I could've had it in October but I put it off til November. Don't give up hope yet. How much overweight are you? Quite frankly for a year or more I was told by other doctors that I wasn't heavy enough. So honestly I kept gaining more weight til Dr. Garber told me I was a candidate. Before I went to him though I emailed and told him my weigh, height, etc and asked if I was a candidate before I wasted my time coming in to meet with him. He said "make an appt." Like I said, don't give up...maybe they or you can find "something." Let me know.

shutuplena -

I was looking into your doctor - any advice?

Dr. Garber is wonderful. He sees patients on Thursdays. Ask me any question and I'll been happy to answer it.

hey shutuplena i tried to e-mail u some questions but to be honest i dont even know if i worked...i have no clue what im doing on here...so if u can contact me maybe i could figure this out...lol

We are having our next -

Long Island Lapband Suppord Group Meeting

next Thursday evening at 7PM in East Northport. I would like to invite all of you on this thread to come.

Come Get Support - Come And Give Support!!

If you are already banded, waiting to get banded or just thinking about being banded, they you are welcome! The meeting is free, informal and banster beverages are served!

Date: Thursday, Feb 8

Time: 7PM

Place: Samantha's Lil Bit of Heaven

Larkfield Road, East Northport

More Info or Directions: Drop me an eMail!!

Sure! What questions do you have??

i am in the process of surgery threw doctor geuss but i have a little bit of concerning questions someone please help

well im in the process of the surgery ive done every test and everything, and i recently saw the pshciatrist and she cleard me but she asked me if im in a outpatient program and i said yes, i am in an drug and alcohol program because i am addicted to marijuana but i have come a long way, anyway she told me she need a letter of compliance from my therapist and psciatrist that i see at my program, she faxed a letter to my therapist and my therapist said that she was gonna give her a call and see exactly what she needs, now i relapsed this past december on marijuana, since then i have attented my meetings and ive been sober,

i spoke to one of dr geuss assistant and she said that they need that letter to make sure ive been compliant with my program , but im worried that if my therapist tells them i relapsed that i won;t be able to get the surgery

what do u think thanks for ur reply

I guess what they are concerned about is the pain killers you will need post op! That is a concern. Just for the record, I have been clean and sober for 25 years so I know where you're coming from. It was not a smart move using when you knew you had to be clean to have the surgery. How do YOU feel about it??

well im in the process of the surgery ive done every test and everything, and i recently saw the pshciatrist and she cleard me but she asked me if im in a outpatient program and i said yes, i am in an drug and alcohol program because i am addicted to marijuana but i have come a long way, anyway she told me she need a letter of compliance from my therapist and psciatrist that i see at my program, she faxed a letter to my therapist and my therapist said that she was gonna give her a call and see exactly what she needs, now i relapsed this past december on marijuana, since then i have attented my meetings and ive been sober,

i spoke to one of dr geuss assistant and she said that they need that letter to make sure ive been compliant with my program , but im worried that if my therapist tells them i relapsed that i won;t be able to get the surgery

what do u think thanks for ur reply

well i feel a little bit depressed about the whole situation, i really regret that i smoked but then again i am an addict and i was really in a bad place at the time and of course i did what i knew to do best and that was use. i feel better today, i attend ma and na and it really helps, but once i got that news that they needed that letter i felt a little discouraged, but i pray that it works out for me cause i really need this surgery, im only 21 with diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and sleep apnea, i weigh 245 and im just not happ at all , i mean whats the worst that could happen, they won't do the surgery??

thanks for replying by the way:)