Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A letter of love to my body

Dear body-

As I sit here just a little more than 48 hours from my surgery day, I am thinking about you...there have been so many times over the years when I looked upon you in disdain, and, body, I am sorry for that. It wasn't you...it was me. It was the emotional part of me that found food as a comfort for the times I was lonely, the times I was sad, the times I was rewarding myself for any number of things...the disdain I had was for me, not you. Truly, body, you deserve my praise and appreciation...I appreciate that over the last 15 years, as the numbers have crept up on the scale and now top 300 pounds, that you have taken it all in stride and not (yet) succumbed to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes or any of the other weight-related issues that I know would have come had I not taken steps to have this surgery. I am sorry that I am choosing to remove a large portion of a perfectly good stomach in order to having a fighting chance of overcoming obesity, but I truly believe this is the best course for us. I'm sure you remember last year when I got the tattoo of the cover of The Giving Tree on my hip...and you know that one of the reasons that was special to me was that I viewed you as the tree, and me as the little boy...up to this point in my life, I have acted just like the little boy, taking from you without regard for what you needed...but I knew I needed to be better than the little boy in the story, and take better care of you so that you would be able to keep me strong for as long as possible. That starts Wednesday. Promise. I'm not saying I will be perfect, but I do promise to be emotionally "present" from here on out, and not automatically self-soothe with food.

post-56425-13813665360444_thumb.jpg

This is awesome, good luck with your journey

Thank you...appreciate the well wishes...my surgery is in less than 12 hours :-)

Good luck, hon!! It's rough the first few days, but that's what drugs are for! ;)

I believe sometimes we forget that our bodies are temples. We abuse them in so many ways. We stuff our faces and gain weight not taking in consideration how our bodies feel about this. It takes alot for an obese person to stand up and say I cant do this to my body anymore. That is why I see everyone of us as a hero to ourselves. We are saving the life of our bodies. We need to stand up and be proud that we are doing something that even skinny people cant do. I wish everyone great success. I am proud of myself and each and everyone who took a stand to protect one of their greatest assets( your temple)

Touching post. Thank you for that important reminder. Best wishes for a quick recovery from surgery. You will do great. The sleeve has changed mylife for the better and I marvel at my new body everyday, so conscious of every drink and morsel of food. Even more than food, I'm more conscious of life. Even the change in seasons was different this Spring... The flowers seem more beautiful and the smells of the blooms are incredible. In my bigger body I suppose I didn't take time to smell the roses, now I do. :)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Amazing way to look at our bodies to find peace with what we have done to it for whatever reasons. Thanks for sharing this its à great idea because recovery teaches to do amends but I hadnt thought about this when it came to my weight...

Amazing, youll be fine many prayers goin your way

Yay!!! First NSV...got back into a pair of jeans I haven't worn in 2 years...should I have waited another week or so to actually wear them...yes...did I?...nope :-) just put on some sassy high heels so I looked even slimmer

I LOVE being able to wear some of the clothes that have been pushed to the back of my closet for many years...down just about 63 pounds this morning and feeling good wearing this dress to work today :-)

post-56425-13813668891023_thumb.jpg