Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know part of my weight issue is that I have been on antidepressants for 20 years. I have always taken SSRIs which are known to cause weight gain. My surgeon recommended that I change my medication to something else. Has anyone else changed from Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, etc to something else due to this side effect - and if so, what medications seem to be better in this regard?

I take Effexor and I haven't noticed any weight gain from it. Prozac made me a space cadet...I went one whole day wearing my wedding ring on the wrong hand and didn't realize it until night time.

I know part of my weight issue is that I have been on antidepressants for 20 years. I have always taken SSRIs which are known to cause weight gain. My surgeon recommended that I change my medication to something else. Has anyone else changed from Prozac' date=' Zoloft, Effexor, etc to something else due to this side effect - and if so, what medications seem to be better in this regard?[/quote']

My dear, I have been on them all! I have felt like a walking science experiment some days...

All these years later? I'm back on Prozac O_0

I always had side affects with each one :(

But Prozac is the one for me that had the lowest..

I just take a little these days.

Im on Effexor and Wellbutrin. I have taken Celexa and Prozac and had weight gain. No weight gain on my current regimen.

been on Zoloft since 2008 and while I had some weight gain it was not the cause of all of the gain.. I am still on it, and losing fine.. 58ish lbs in 6 weeks. If it works for you don't change it. It was very hard to find something that worked for me.. I was also on welbutrin but have stopped taking it because depression isn't an issue right now. Zoloft I take for anxiety and it takes the edge off so well for me I don't want to stop taking it just yet.

Before being banded 3 1/2 yrs ago, I was on Celexa, Wellbutrin, and Abilify. Over the years, as I started to lose weight, my dr started weaning me off of them. Now all I need is a 1/2 dose of Celexa! If I stop that, I feel really blah...I'm not really depressed anymore. Could it be that I was depressed cuz I was FAT?

When I started taking antidepressants in 2000, I started on Prozac. It affected my sex life big time. Haven't noticed any changes in weight tho. I guess I could blame all my weight problems on my meds tho...

I know part of my weight issue is that I have been on antidepressants for 20 years. I have always taken SSRIs which are known to cause weight gain. My surgeon recommended that I change my medication to something else. Has anyone else changed from Prozac' date=' Zoloft, Effexor, etc to something else due to this side effect - and if so, what medications seem to be better in this regard?[/quote']

I'm on prestica and haveing trouble with it

deleted

My dear, I have been on them all! I have felt like a walking science experiment some days...

All these years later? I'm back on Prozac O_0

I always had side affects with each one :(

But Prozac is the one for me that had the lowest..

I just take a little these days.

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I have been on them all, too :) I have been stable on 40mg Prozac for over ten years now - so I'm just going to stick with it. What do you do after the surgery during the liquid/chewable medications only phase?

(Sorry, can't figure out how to multi-quote)

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I have been on them all' date=' too :) I have been stable on 40mg Prozac for over ten years now - so I'm just going to stick with it. What do you do after the surgery during the liquid/chewable medications only phase?

(Sorry, can't figure out how to multi-quote)[/quote']

I was supposed to open up the capsule and pour it into a spoon of Jello, umm.... Yuck!!!

I will tell you something I ended up cheating! Shhh... Don't tell anyone because I'm not a cheater!! :P

But I started popping them in my mouth and rolled them around a bit until the outside capsule started to melt away then quickly chased it with whatever I was drinking :o

Now I just take them though this far out :)

Oh to multi quote on the phone when you click the heading to quote, there is a little box on the left, if you check that it will turn yellow then you go to the next person do the same then go to the top of the thread like you are just going to reply and it will show you an option to multi quote the ones you highlighted...

Did that make sense :P

Yes - that made perfect sense, thanks! And thanks for the capsule info. :)

I had the weight gain problem with Prozac as well and really ballooned on abilify. Three different docs told me that the only antidepressant that doesn't cause weight gain (and in some people is known to cause weight loss) is Wellbutrin. It is not an SSRI. I am now taking Wellbutrin and actually lost weight on it until one brilliant doc added abilify. Then I ballooned again. I am now on Wellbutrin and a small dose of lexapro. I have not seen any additional weight gain.

I tried Wellbutrin :( my husband calls it "Madbutrin" I don't know why, but it made me really agitated all the time...

I used to be a walking pharmacy... I have been on Celexa and Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Immopromene... All of them had effects on my body that were not tolerable for me. I am now on Effexcor..and oooohhh man..what a difference.. I have gotten the best results from it..but you cant quit cold turkey ...you have to move down .5 of a dosage if you want to get off of it, because if you miss one dose..you get really bad withrawl symptoms that are said to be much like a herroin addict withdrawing...

I hear other people say that they gain weight on Effexcor, I never did..and I love it..oh and I also take Trazadone!! To help me Zzzzz