Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

information about dr. kim at Celebration in central Florida.

Im not sleeved right now, we are in the process of moving between States. I have been to the first conference and I really like dr. Kim. I will be self pay since my insurance does not cover anything, I just would like any information about celebration hospital and dr. Kim.

I was sleeved 9-21-12 at Celebration by Dr Kim. I truly cannot say enough about him, honestly. I, like you, was on this forum pre op and prepared myself for all possibilities. Some things I prepared for were not pleasant but wanted to be prepared, period. Well I had zero complications. Zero. I think it mostly is due to Dr Kim and being at a Center of Excellence for bariatric surgery but also following pre and post op instructions. Pre op diet is crucial to shrink liver before surgery. I can cause complications, I have saw it in another patient. :( Whatever questions you have, feel free to private message me! Pre op I did not find out much about our hospital or dr on this forum, so I know how important it is! You made a fantastic choice with Celebration and Dr Kim!

Thank you for replying!! It is so hard to find honest, first hand information about Dr. Kim and Celebration hospital. I went to the information seminar and obviously everything that we were told was positive, so I appreciate any information that you might give me about your experience.

What was your pre-op diet like? Are there any hints that you can give me to help me with the liquid phase of it?

How is your journey going? Do you attend the monthly meetings?

If its not too rude to ask, did he quote you a self pay price? I couldn't find it on the website. I understand if you don't want to say though.

@bcoulton: I think the typical preop diet Dr Kim requires is 2weeks. I, for some reason, only had 1wk. I think I was the only one in the group that had 1 wk. It may have to do with how much you have to lose or where you carry your weight. I am not sure. I will have to look back at my notes to see if there were any tips I could share. What I can say is be sure to follow what the doc says. You are blessed to be in the hands of a great surgeon and have to do your part to make it a success. The diet is to shrink the liver so it is out of the way and doesn't get nicked. If it gets nicked you will be in pain and miserable afterwards. Its not worth it. :) You will love the hospital. Oh, and make sure you used the triangle over your bed to move around. I didn't notice until the 2nd day and wished I'd noticed it earlier. There are many other things but I can tell ya later as you get closer.

Do you have an idea when you want to do the surgery?

I think I am progressing along well. The one major disappointment is that fairly recently I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. My joints have been in pain for a few yrs and I thought it was my weight. After losing weight and the pain still there I went to a rheumatologist. I give myself weekly injections but still not helping much. I hope to increase the medicine after next dr appointment. The first yr is crucial after this surgery. The first six months is the MOST crucial. My advise to you would be to make sure you exercise, if you can. Make sure you go to all your physiologist appts. Bill is a wealth of knowledge. He does a great job of fitting in your appt with him in conjunction with Dr Kim appts. I have lost 65 lbs and that is with no exercise. My bum is smaller but its flabby. I have lost a lot of muscle along with fat and that is not good. I have not been to the support meeting either. I live over an hour away (other side of Orlando) and work nights.

I think the sleeve is the best choice and soo glad I did it. A lot of my friends and family didnt support my decision for surgery. But now those same people tell me how good and healthy I look.

There is a lot to learn but its fun learning because its about your new future! It is VERY exciting and I am sooo happy for you! Definitely keep in touch with me. In the meantime I will look up the preop diet stuff. Congratulations on choosing to do this for yourself!

@getlownurse: i went throught insurance but when I was given my info on pricing last summer I remember seeing self pay somewhere between 18k-20k. I don't know how much that has changed.

Thank you for the info. We are moving to Florida in mid June, and I am hoping to get started on the tests and such as soon as we are settled. I am planning to go to the gym provided by Dr Kim's program at Celebration. I am so looking forward to get started that I can hardly contain myself sometimes.

I am not telling anyone in my family, except my husband of course, as I know that they will judge me as lazy and say that we are wasting the money on something that is not necessary. If my in-laws where to know that we are paying just under $18k for me to loose weight, I know that we will never hear the end of it, so I just do not want to be put myself or my husband in that position.

Sounds like you have a great plan! Sometimes we just know who we can and cannot talk to about things. It seems as though the most important person in your life, your husband, is supporting you and that's all you need. You will be able to pull it off too! The best answer I have heard , in reference to people asking, is to say you've been working hard with diet and exercise. And that will be the truth. Its a very private journey. And is soooo much more than losing weight. Many many aspects of your health are improved with the loss of weight. Its a fantastic tool. I am excited for you!I guess partly because I KNOW how awesome your life is going to be! :)

I have tried what seems like every diet known to mankind. They work for a while but then I end up gaining all the weight back, along with some extra ones after a few months. I am looking forward to be able to go on rides with my kids without the fear of embarassing them by not fitting in the seat! Oh to be able to buy clothes from a regular store!!!

Congratulations on your weight loss journey so far! Do you see any difference on how people treat you now that you are slimmer?

Unfortunately, yes. Its as if I am not invisible anymore. More people look and smile more. Whereas before I felt as if I was kind of ignored. Now part of that probably has to do with the fact that I have a different attitude but still. One thing that irritates me is that a man almost always holds a door open for me now. I know its a nice gesture and it is not his fault men didn't do that before but its a reminder of where I came from and there sooo is a world of beautiful overweight people that out there that deserve that kindness too. The clothes part has had a strange twist I didn't see coming. I gravitate back to the plus size section every time. I am (or was) comfortable there. But its not where I belong anymore. Yet when I go to the regular sizes I feel like I don't belong there either. Its a work in progress.

Funny NSV (non scale victory): that I had to adjust the seat in the car because since my bum shrunk, I was sitting lower in the seat. Losts of little things you never thought could be affected that are. Its very fun.

Size wise I am a comfortable 14 with a few 12s. My personal goal is to be comfortable in a size 10. I think its doable. :)

Your NSV made me giggle! It will be intersting to see how poeple will act around me once things get started. Now it is just a waiting game until we move to Florida. It just cannot come fast enough.

On the sheet from the info session in april of 2013 the self pay was $17, 905. I have my first consult on June 5 I'm super excited I have all of my insurance requirements done or coming up. Psych eval next week nut eval on the third.

Met with Dr Kim in wednesday and he gave me my list of surgical clearances... I need pulmonology, chest xray, h pylori, and an ekg. Pulmonology is tomorrow (they will do the chest xray) ekg was today and I will stop by and get h pylori test tomorrow as well. I am looking at July 5th for surgery