Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't stop losing

What are you doing for exercise?

When I got down to 104 with my band my doc had me add Ensure healthy weight and muscle drink and this helped me to stop losing.

When I got down to 104 with my band my doc had me add Ensure healthy weight and muscle drink and this helped me to stop losing.

How did you feel at 104? Did it have a huge drain on your health and energy? Or did you feel pretty normal?

to the OP: I seem to stop losing by just eating a lot daily. Body weight in Protein every day from dense meats, shakes and bars. However, I am also pretty active and need the food to refuel for next cross fit or running session.

If I ever have your problem, which could theoretically happen, I know just the food I will start eating: met-rx big100 Protein Bars. Those are awesome and have 420 calories. I actually secretly hope I have this problem so I get to eat the big100 bars. ;)

At 104... I was basically death warmed over, but it's because the band was robbing me of any of value. Once the band was removed and they gave me 4 units of blood (this is just the minimum of a long battle for life) ..anyway when I was unbanded and 104 I was in heaven, but so unhealthy and severely anemic. Never worked out, knew I had weight to gain so I ate like a pig. Docs promised me I could be sleeved as soon as I healed, but unfortunately healing and getting heathy took 18 months and my weight was out of control.

To answer you question, now this very day? I would never want to be under 125 ever again. I'm on a totally new Quest in my life. Health over vanity this time and I've never ever felt better.

I eat lean meats, greek yogurt, Ricotta, skim plus, egg beaters, cheese, nuts, cottage cheese, fish, an EAS AdvantEdge for Breakfast. I'm supposed to be getting around 100gms of Protein per day. I barely make 60-70gms. My surgery was January 23, 2012

Here's how you add calories - try some fatty-er meats, go for higher fat greek yogurt, I don't know what skim plus is but go for 2%, real eggs, regular cheese. Also, you will be surprised that veggies and fruit don't take up as much space as you might think. Have some Peanut Butter.

I eat lean meats, greek yogurt, Ricotta, skim plus, egg beaters, cheese, nuts, cottage cheese, fish, an EAS AdvantEdge for Breakfast. I'm supposed to be getting around 100gms of Protein per day. I barely make 60-70gms. My surgery was January 23, 2012

My program only requires 55-60 grams per day. I bet it is tough to get 100 grams. I'll be interested to hear what your surgeon/nut have to say. I do see you are not listing any fats other than cheese and nuts. As others having suggested, try cooking the fish or meat with a little olive oil, and adding Peanut Butter or avocado. Perhaps a little butter and lemon sauce for the fish? or a pat of butter on the lean meat?

Also, you may already be doing this, but I often eat 6 times per day. Breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, mid afternoon snack, dinner, and evening snack. I get some calories (100 a day) from a Soy Milk Latte that I drink in the morning.

Here's how you add calories - try some fatty-er meats, go for higher fat greek yogurt, I don't know what skim plus is but go for 2%, real eggs, regular cheese. Also, you will be surprised that veggies and fruit don't take up as much space as you might think. Have some Peanut Butter.< /p>

Those foods are lower in Protein and my nut keeps saying that until I am easily reaching my protein goals, that needs to be my focus. She says that as long as I am taking my Vitamins, I don't need fruits/veggies, etc..

Those foods are lower in Protein and my nut keeps saying that until I am easily reaching my Protein goals' date=' that needs to be my focus. She says that as long as I am taking my Vitamins, I don't need fruits/veggies, etc..[/quote']

I'm a little late in this conversation, but why do you need to reach a 100 gram of protein goal a day?? I would think 60 grams would be enough for your body and give you the room to add some nutritious carbs in the form of fruits and vegetables.

Those foods are lower in Protein and my nut keeps saying that until I am easily reaching my Protein goals, that needs to be my focus. She says that as long as I am taking my Vitamins, I don't need fruits/veggies, etc..

Here's another question: Did your surgeon see you at the one year mark and do extensive blood work? If so, what were the results? Every time I go for a follow up, I have to have blood work done and my protein levels are tested (along with MANY other things). When my protein was low, I was told to aim for 100-120 (which was right after surgery). But now that it's normal/high, I've been told to aim for a minimum of 60.

nuts and cheese as a snack. Maybe add crackers or something carby like that.

IT may not take alot of extra calories to stop the weight loss. sure didn't for me - once I hit goal I started adding in a few more foods and immediately stopped losing...lol

[quote name=Lisa :)' timestamp='1367199056' post='795572]

Here's another question: Did your surgeon see you at the one year mark and do extensive blood work? If so, what were the results? Every time I go for a follow up, I have to have blood work done and my Protein levels are tested (along with MANY other things). When my protein was low, I was told to aim for 100-120 (which was right after surgery). But now that it's normal/high, I've been told to aim for a minimum of 60.

My blood work is all good, just had some, last week.

Ok, I think it is easy to think what we "cannot" do. And I get it - we are trained to eat a specific way to maximize weight loss, and to be successful are very devoted to that. But you will likely have to broaden your thinking and become more Fluid in your approach to stop the weight loss.

So, with your Protein shake mix in Peanut Butter. You need the calories, it will not excessively fill your sleeve. If you blend 2T Peanut Butter into your shake it would be a good start. Another option is to also add 1/2 or even 1 banana. Because it is blended your body will think it is a liquid and it will pass through the sleeve easily. It gets around the restriction issue.

And, the thing about one ounce of cheese as a snack is that it is essentially a slider. So, 1/2 ounce of cheese is about the size of a dice, maybe a bit bigger. Chew it up, and it is much smaller. I would guess even a tiny tummy could handle that twice daily. Cooking your meat in olive oil, again, will not take extra room in your sleeve. Stop using egg beaters - use eggs. You need the calories. It doesn't matter if you get slightly less Protein. Get a minimum of 60-70. And your nutritionist was right - during the weight loss phase focus on protein at the exclusion of other foods. But it is time to switch your thinking to a more well rounded approach. You probably have to focus mostly on adding fats initially, but with some time will probably figure out how to add some carbs or veggies.

Prioritize stopping the weight loss over arbitrary rules about sticking just to protein at all costs.

Ok, I think it is easy to think what we "cannot" do. And I get it - we are trained to eat a specific way to maximize weight loss, and to be successful are very devoted to that. But you will likely have to broaden your thinking and become more Fluid in your approach to stop the weight loss.

So, with your Protein shake mix in Peanut Butter. You need the calories, it will not excessively fill your sleeve. If you blend 2T Peanut Butter into your shake it would be a good start. Another option is to also add 1/2 or even 1 banana. Because it is blended your body will think it is a liquid and it will pass through the sleeve easily. It gets around the restriction issue.

And, the thing about one ounce of cheese as a snack is that it is essentially a slider. So, 1/2 ounce of cheese is about the size of a dice, maybe a bit bigger. Chew it up, and it is much smaller. I would guess even a tiny tummy could handle that twice daily. Cooking your meat in olive oil, again, will not take extra room in your sleeve. Stop using egg beaters - use eggs. You need the calories. It doesn't matter if you get slightly less Protein. Get a minimum of 60-70. And your nutritionist was right - during the weight loss phase focus on protein at the exclusion of other foods. But it is time to switch your thinking to a more well rounded approach. You probably have to focus mostly on adding fats initially, but with some time will probably figure out how to add some carbs or veggies.

Prioritize stopping the weight loss over arbitrary rules about sticking just to protein at all costs.

Thank you, those definitely sound like changes I could make. Those are things that would up the calories a little bit at a time, till I find the right balance in order to maintain

I think I'm also TERRIFIED that the weight will creep back. All my life I would bounce between 275-115. I'm good at losing, but maintenance....not so much! I would maintain for a few years, then......275lbs again! I'm going to try to add small amounts of calories, till I find the right balance. Sleeve, PLEEEEEEEEASE help, I want to be this size forever!

Just spoke with NUT, she said absolutely do not add high calorie foods. She suggested maybe add one more snack of something like low fat string cheese. and 1 or 2 extra bites at meals, if I can.