Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight training vs Cardio

I currently lift and train hard 2x a week @ cross fit with PT (T, Th) which leaves me a little sore the following day for when I do cardio @ home.

My cardio is currently M, W, F and S and consists of running for 30 min to 1 hour depending on routine (5k, 10k , HIIT). I am starting to wonder if I should back off on the cardio some and add more strength training days. My goal is to find a good healthy balance of weight lifting and cardio to remain fit with a nice athletic build.

I do not want all the cardio from running to eat away at my muscle gains. Before I started to lift, running really leaned out my upper body, essentially eating a lot of my lean muscle. I was at goal, but hardly had any muscle in biceps, triceps, deltoids, lats and so on.

Weight loss is done and I have been lifting consistently for 2 months in order to reshape body. It is working!! Long term lean muscle is going to help me keep at goal and give some flexibility with eating plan. I have put on 10 lb of lean muscle since starting cross fit training.

I am thinking about replacing some cardio day with an @home strength training DVD like Bob Harper inside out or Jillian Michael ripped. Eventually I will increase cross fit days in a month or two, once I transition into open gym format instead of PT sessions.

What are your thoughts about weight lifting versus cardio based on my thoughts above?

You are a lot more ambitious than me on exercise. Being 64 I can't hit it too hard. I'm trying to avoid premature dirt naps. :D I have always favored lifting but understand the need for cardio. You know I do HIIT exclusively for cardio because my research indicates that it is sort of a cross between cardio and strength training. In the past, lengthy cardio has always depleted me and set me up to get sick. It seems to run down my immune system. My exercise sessions are always 30-40 minutes of maximum intensity and that's it. Mostly I work out 3 times a week. I occasionally take a week off and that always seems to set me up for more muscle growth.

Again, I'm 64. I have no barbells but would if I had the room. Free weights are my favorite. Old guy, old school. B)

http://www.clivir.com/lessons/show/3-common-fitness-training-mistakes-to-avoid.html

I searched around and found this stuff that seemed to back up what I was saying. It must be true because it agrees with me. :D

http://www.clivir.com/lessons/show/3-common-fitness-training-mistakes-to-avoid.html

I searched around and found this stuff that seemed to back up what I was saying. It must be true because it agrees with me. :D

This is very useful information. Thanks. I do tend to limit a workout to 1 hour for cardio and 30 minutes for strength training (WOD). Other 30 minutes with PT is warm up, cool down, stretching and technique training.

It is not that I an unable to do more, but I have other things to do and try to make the most of the time available by seeking better efficiency. For example, working with a PT @ cross fit until I am knowledgeable and trained enough to be efficient on my own.

I also rarely run @ steady state. I try and make each run different and challenging in order to get max gains. I may need to take more rest days for recovery. Not sure. That is part of the reason I am asking the question in this thread.

I also know that sleeping well is vital to each work out, which I still struggle with. I am making it a habit of seeking out 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Still feel somewhat tired in the mornings, but that could be I need to eat more good carbs. Trying to increase them slowly to prevent storage of fat.

I tried doing a 10 k today, but just did not have the energy to go more then 5 k. I may be training too hard or not eating enough carbs. My training yesterday was really tough on my whole body with PT. Should I not run after an intense cross fit day and give my body extra rest days?

Hopefully someone with more expertise will comment.

I have been working on tuning into my body's condition the way we learn to tune into our sleeved stomach during eating. If we are careful we can sense the correct time to stop eating without measuring. I am trying to move my body and test it a bit and assess it's readiness for more exercise and determine what would be best to do. A difficulty is dealing with laziness which will beg me out of it but that hasn't been a factor lately. If anything I am overly anxious to work-out.

The way I look at it, we have a lifetime to get where we want to be physically. You have longer, being a youngster. :D Muscles don't disappear overnight. It varies by individual but most think at least 2 weeks for any noticeable difference. Sometimes less is more.

I read something Arnold wrote. He was in the run up to Mr. Olympia. Some competition asked him for bodybuilding advice. Big mistake. He told them to do many sets without let up, not much rest in between. He won of course.

Our muscles only grow when at rest. They are bigger right after workouts because of Water being pumped in. Slam em hard, tear em down, give em good rest, let em grow back bigger. I've heard of bodybuilding fanatics that walk and move purposely slow during rest times just to conserve energy for growth.

I am really hoping some lifting gurus can shed some light on this topic. Anyone?

Wow. Ok... Cross fit is great but it is something you should do in concert with strength training. Single muscle group isolation will pay huge dividends in both your WOD training and cardio. Cardio should also be daily regardless of other training. Hit the gym lifting weights at least 3 days a week an then follow that with 30-40 min on the elyptical or treadmill or run there and back.

Wow. Ok... Cross fit is great but it is something you should do in concert with strength training. Single muscle group isolation will pay huge dividends in both your WOD training and cardio. Cardio should also be daily regardless of other training. Hit the gym lifting weights at least 3 days a week an then follow that with 30-40 min on the elyptical or treadmill or run there and back.

Good advice, thanks. I have not considered cardio every day. Will look into single muscle isolation strength training, but I thought cross fit was giving me all the strength training needed. I have some dumbbells at home of various weights and some strength training DVDs so will see what can be done at home.

It isn't really in my budget or schedule to join a gym like LA Fitness or 24 hour on top of cross fit costs. I have cardio equipment at home and have been using it 4 days a week. Will see about daily use. I do currently run a mile every morning and try to doit again after lunch to optimize the day. Would you consider this enough cardio on top of the 4 days of 5 k/ 10 k and HIIT I do weekly?

I want to get real arm, chest and ab gains from lean muscle within my healthy BMI range. It is starting to show and I am getting compliments from the non-wife women in my family. :) they like to come over and feel my biceps / triceps and pects. I should charge them per squeeze. Lol.

I tried doing a 10 k today, but just did not have the energy to go more then 5 k. I may be training too hard or not eating enough carbs. My training yesterday was really tough on my whole body with PT. Should I not run after an intense cross fit day and give my body extra rest days?

Fiddleman, I have no advice for weight training, cross fit, or anything else, but I wonder how many calories you are eating? In addition to carbs to fuel a workout, you also need enough calories. When you mentined you just didn't have the energy, that question came to my mind. Either way, I'm ultra impressed - not only with your workouts, but also with your determnation and goal setting.

Fiddleman' date=' I have no advice for weight training, cross fit, or anything else, but I wonder how many calories you are eating? In addition to carbs to fuel a workout, you also need enough calories. When you mentined you just didn't have the energy, that question came to my mind. Either way, I'm ultra impressed - not only with your workouts, but also with your determnation and goal setting.[/quote']

My calories should be higher. I am trying to break out of post op style of eating, but it is a little challenging because of good habits developed. Haha, I know. Good problem to have?

My typical eating on a cardio day looks like (calories rounded):

Breakfast: Protein shake with chia seeds (160)

Pre run snack: 2 energy squares (120)

Post run snack: Protein Shake (120)

Lunch: 3-5 oz chicken patty with 1-2 oz veggie (180)

Snack: 3 oz chicken sausage (100)

Dinner: wife makes dinner, but usually 3-4 oz of a dense meat and 2 oz of veggie (200)

Pre bed snack: Protein Shake (120)

This is about 1000 calories.

My typical eating on a Crossfit day looks like (calories rounded):

Breakfast: Protein shake with chia seeds (160)

Snack: 3 oz chicken sausage (100)

Lunch: 3-5 oz chicken patty with 1-2 oz veggie (180)

Pre cross fit snack: 2 energy squares (120)

Post cross fit snack: Paleo bar (300)

Dinner: wife makes dinner, but usually 3-4 oz of a dense meat and 2 oz of veggie (200)

Pre bed snack: protein shake (120)

This is about 1300 calories.

Not sure how one can really eat more then this. I am eating every 3 hours except around a workout where I eat every hour. Lost 2 lbs last night even with all this eating. I think it REALLY helps to have the pre bed time snack of casein protein shake ( mixed with water) to see downward action on the scale in the morning. Body fat percentage is currently at 17% ( measured at last cross fit session) with weight at 188. I gained about 10 lb in lean muscle since hitting goal a couple months ago.

Man you are rocking it out. Great job. I would say step up the cardio daily and maybe go with a bigger protien shake once a day, like a MetRX Meal Replacement shake to get a few more GOOD carbs and a few more calories on those cross fit days. Should see gains. Are you supplementing with anything else, i.e. Extend, NO Xplod or the like?

Man you are rocking it out. Great job. I would say step up the cardio daily and maybe go with a bigger protien shake once a day' date=' like a MetRX meal replacement shake to get a few more GOOD carbs and a few more calories on those cross fit days. Should see gains. Are you supplementing with anything else, i.e. Extend, NO Xplod or the like?[/quote']

Thanks.

Yes, I am currently supplementing with no xplode and catalyst (4 capsules) before cross fit and 3 g Omega 3 and creatine monohydrate after cross fit. I do not really care for the no xplode flavor or effect on my GI tract. I cannot wait to cycle off it and onto c4 next week. C4 works really well for me with zero negatives, but I do have to cycle off it every 3-4 weeks or it becomes ineffective. Have not tried anything else like b4 or jack3d although I have heard good things.

I will look into some heavy duty shake to help get some more calories. I already take 3 different shakes for 3 different reasons.

1. Syntrax matrix as my Breakfast shake (extended release Protein of 3-5 hours).

2. GNC Amplified Wheybolic 60 (20 g only per serving, not 60g) as a recovery shake for after workout.

3. Gold Standard Casein as a bedtime shake to give me 8 hours of fuel for metabolism.

The excellent part about all this high effort fitness (running and cross fit) and clean paleo like diet is that it is attacking and tightening the lose skin around my tummy area. It is only about .25 inches now and I am hoping a few more months will get rid of that. Goal is to have an athletic build and not need a TT. Everywhere else is tight so tummy .25 inch loose skin is all that I am concerned about.

Oh and I am constantly drinking Water. I have 32 oz water bottle and go through 1 an hour, sometimes more.

My calories should be higher. I am trying to break out of post op style of eating, but it is a little challenging because of good habits developed. Haha, I know. Good problem to have?

Yep, that's a great problem to have! I'll never be as good/dedicated at you. I'm too old for that intensity, lol. I agree, I think you might find yourself fatigued due to low caloric intake. You don't have any stores to pull from, my friend....you are thin!!

I FULLY understand and agree with your philosophy. You worked very hard to retrain yourself and it goes against the grain to do something different than what brought you such success, right? I imagine you could find ways to sneak a few more healthy calories in there without eating a lot. Maybe look at adding some healthy fats, a few nuts, or something that meets with your personal dietary preferences. I love your drive to be an athlete. I just want to be healthy, fit old woman ;P

Fiddleman, if you want more calories, yes the Met-Rx meal replacement shake is pretty darn good and has the Protein plus a few more carbs than a typical shake. My wife drinks them and they are not bad at all. You could also try slathering some PB on those energy squares, I like them with PB2 but I get plenty of calories so I don't need the full fledged nut butters.

Also, I have to disagree on the single muscle group isolation. Yes it can help you but only if you have the energy to add it in, I wouldn't replace anything you're doing with bicep curls. It will make you look good but for pure athletic performance I would stick with compound lifts, which as I understand it crossfit does this. Compound lifts are giving you the most bang for your buck. You would not, for instance, do leg extensions over squats, bicep curls over pull ups, ham string curls over deadlifts.....if you had limited time and energy to workout. And you did say you had limited time and energy. Just my opinion. I would say with your current program, the one thing I'd be trying to do is figure out is how to get in a little more nutrition.

The ONLY thing I'd think about taking out is the HIIT running. You're pretty much doing HIIT with the crossfit. HIIT is highly intense and you're body can only stand so much of it. Perhaps reduce it to one session of HIIT running every other week.