Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

POSE VS SLEEVE SURGERY

Any opinion on the two weight loss surgery being one better than the other. Need to loose 150 pounds

Piece Of S h i t Experiment

LOL.. Actually, I think it's similar to a pilcation .. Which brings me back to my original thought ;)

The Dr. said where they go in through your mouth into your stomach and staple your stomach it's a new procedure that he offers

Never heard of this surgery till I googled it. I read that it is for those who want to loose up to 75 pounds. I wish I would have known of this surgery, I would have looked into it. Just do your research and find a website forum for those who had the POSE surgery and see what those that actually had the surgery have to say. Good luck

Maybe I'm naive on the subject, but it seems to me anytime blood flow is cut (or stapled/sutured) off this would cause an issue to the area being restricted. Someone clue me in if they can, please

So I'm dumb as a stick here,, is this plication then? Or a whole new surgery?

If its plication my first response would be no thank you, just from reading here in the last couple of day that have plication and are trying to convert to the sleeve.

To perform the incisionless POSE procedures, Drs. Thomas and Lavin used USGI Medical Inc.’s (San Clemente, Calif.) Incisionless Operating Platform (IOP) and a flexible endoscope to visualize the stomach. They inserted the scope and the IOP through the patient’s mouth and then used the IOP tools to grasp the stomach tissue and deploy suture anchors to create multiple tissue folds in the stomach wall to reduce its volume capacity.

So we can assume To perform the incisionless POSE procedures, Drs. Thomas and Lavin used USGI Medical Inc.’s (San Clemente, Calif.) Incisionless Operating Platform (IOP) and a flexible endoscope to visualize the stomach. They inserted the scope and the IOP through the patient’s mouth and then used the IOP tools to grasp the stomach tissue and deploy suture anchors to create multiple tissue folds in the stomach wall to reduce its volume capacity.

Ok..ok.. I had to do it :P sorry

Thank you so it is basically a "plication" but with no incisions. No incisions sound pretty cool.

But I would read here and on plication/ pose forums.

From what I've seen, this surgery is recommended for pts with under 100 bs to loose (some surgeons say 50-75)...so if you need to loose 150 I think you may be disappointed. Also, this IS restricticting the stomach...but not as much as the sleeve, & it's new...no studies on how well those "stapled" spots hold? JMO

I just saw the animation here http://www.whyweight.com/pose/ and I am not impressed grabbing stomach wall mutiple times sounds like a leak waiting to happen

Well, I have a negative reaction to these experiments. They experimented on me with the lapband and the end result was alot of pain and suffering and being even more obese after 10 years. But, each of us has to do our own research.

the sleeve is "newish" but truth of the matter is that people have been living with partial stomach removal for decades - treatment for ulcers and stomach cancer etc. while not exactly the same, it gave me hope that it wasn't just another POS experiment in terms of the "living with it" for decades. The sleeve was also step one for the DS (although they left a bigger sleeve for DS patients) so at least there is a lengthy track record for a reduced size stomach.

I attended a seminar at Dr. Lavin's office because I was considering POSE as well. There's a weight loss forum from the UK where patients rave about the procedure for the first few months and then all of the sudden, it was like they had never had the surgery. A lawsuit ensued, but i'm not sure what happened after that. I know there were numerous dissatisfied customers. I went into the seminar already feeling skeptical about it, but I wanted to hear how they "sold" it. The doctor doing the seminar (a partner of Dr. Lavin's) merely glossed over it (along with the lap band). So in short, I don't think POSE is gaining the popularity that they thought it would. It's also around $13,000. I'm scheduled for the sleeve with Dr Borland in New Iberia on May 6.

Thanks for the info. I think that I'm a go with sleeves as well. I will be using Dr. Lavin for my surgery I will find out today my surgery date, so excited. If you r paying out of pocket how much is your doctor charging you. And what hospital in new Iberia