Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've hit a milestone, I guess. I was "released" to enter the last phase of the post op diet. Phase III Adaptive (Soft) Phase...yippee right?! WRONG!!! My problem or let's say frustration is that after 3 weeks I only lost 5lbs and now you want me to eat more solid food? I think not. I understand a loss is a loss is a loss. However, after losing 19lbs the week before surgery (I know was a lot of Water weight) and 9lbs the week following surgery to only 5lbs in the last 3 weeks, it's hard not being disappointed. I actually cried after the nurse left the room. Thought my days of crying over my weight were behind me, I guess I was wrong. My surgeon is happy with my progress so I know I should be too. I know the slower I lose the weight the better it will be for my skin. But again 5lbs is a joke to me!!! Before you say "Wow she's depressed or blowing things out of proportion"....I'm NOT I'm just venting here. I'm sure there's got to be someone else that's been in my shoes. Ok, I'm done :) Thanks LOL

Hang in there! I can empathize. I think some of us have bodies that are resistant to losing weight quickly (metabolically efficient is a good thing in a famine!). I am 10.5 weeks out and I have only lost 25 lbs since surgery so far (about 20 lbs in the 6 months before surgery). I get in my Water and Protein every day and exercise, and I haven't gone off plan once. I track everything in MFP. At first I was frustrated, especially after losing more quickly the first 2 weeks, but I am still losing steadily and definitely going down size-wise. Plus I know that this weight is gone forever and hopefully I will have less loose skin bc I'm losing at a reasonable rate. btw my BMI is similar to yours and I believe that it's a myth that all higher BMIers lose really quickly (some do, some don't--just like mid and lower BMIers).

STOP... BREATHE.. I am five weeks out.. In addition to my presurgery loss, I have lost 14 pounds since surgery... ALL in the first two weeks and since then NOTHING.. I even gained back four pounds for a while!!! It's OK! It's a stall. Stalls are NORMAL and they're EXPECTED... Even in the third week... Even a stall that lasts THREE FREAKING WEEKS. Remember you ALSO lost a boat load of weight right before surgery even if it is "just water" your body is replacing that Water so that can account for why you're not losing that fast.

Eat the food. Measure it and account for it and then eat it. I'm eating at around 900 calories a day. I know in VSG world that seems a bit high for someone only 5 weeks post op, but it's still a huge deficit and I know I'll continue to lose once my stall is broken... Which I suspect will be very soon because I just had to make ANOTHER notch to tighten my belt AND my fancy scale tells me my body Water % is 3.1% HIGHER than it was 3 weeks ago.. that's 8.5 POUNDS of extra water.. meaning that if I still weight exactly the same, that I have 8.5 pounds LESS of fat! I suspect your body is going through something similar but you don't have a super duper fancy scale to reassure you.

Enjoy your new phase of food. I'm right with you on this journey and having a very similar experience (to the exact pound right?) and I KNOW that this is temporary and the scale will move in the right direction again. Stay strong! :)

Ahhhhhhhh! It sure does feel good to vent sometimes doesn't it? It relieves the stress!

I think most of us can relate to that frustration. My Doc said though that everyone loses differently, he said that he's had some patients drop all their weight in 6 months, and others are still losing weight 2 YEARS out. I haven't lost any weight in nearly 3 weeks, and it's really starting to irritate me. Hang in there the weight WILL come off! Feel free to vent whenever the need arises. Good luck!

Thanks everybody! It's been a long day. I feel better having vented and the encouraging words help too. Thankful for this site and understanding people who have been through this process. :)

Chickmelove I was the same way until I added more calories to my Diet!! When I started eating more the 3 week stall stopped. Message me if you want more details ;) Hang in there!!

Chickmelove I was the same way until I added more calories to my Diet!! When I started eating more the 3 week stall stopped. Message me if you want more details ;) Hang in there!!

How is that possible?! :)

I was eating the same stuff everyday and consuming 600-700 calories. When I started mixing up what I was eating and eating 950-1000 calories I started losing again!

My NUT says I can have 800-1000 calories but I can't figure out what the heck to eat to get that much. I'm good to get to 600. I am a month out (well I will be Saturday). I have my one month appointment next Tuesday so hopefully they will clear me for fruits and veggies.

Keep doing what you're supposed to. It'll happen :)

1.5 month stall.. Going nuts!! But realizing I'm eating the same thing everyday! Only carb is weight control oatmeal in the morning. I need more info on how to mix it up average 850 cals a day.

After my surgery on Dec 10th I didn't lose anything but 4 lbs for the first three weeks and that my dear was just my stomach that was removed (I got the lab report on my stomach I wanted to know how much it weighed). Your body has gone into starvation mode holding onto anything and everything you consume. I bet you maybe have a bowl movement every 5-6 days. That's still how it is for me. Now 5 months post op. With pre and post surgery weightloss I'm down 82 lbs it will come off give your body time. I've lost since surgery 48 lbs. But I'm five months out. Some people have lost a ton more. I still have 60 more pounds to go. It can look discouraging when you look at numbers. Call your nut and doc and see if they have any suggestions, mine said I was not consuming enough that's why I wasn't losing. Good luck!

Sent from my EVO using VST

I've heard that some people are slower out of the gate simply from the 'trauma' of surgery. I had a dental surgery last year and gained 11 lbs for no reason! It stuck around for a few weeks. Drink lots of Water, get lots of sleep, visualize your dream body (there's science to this) maybe change up your foods a little (while not going over calories) and be kind to your new little tummy. hang in there! Once the weight comes off it will be gone or good!!! Worth the wait!!

Vicky I was sleeved 2/11 and have lost 36 lbs. My Bmi was 39.5 the day of surgery. I try to eat every 2-3 hours, atleast. I eat oatmeal, cottage cheese or egg beaters with cheese for Breakfast. lunch is chicken salad ,egg salad or broccoli & cheese, chili, 1/2 grilled cheese on wheat. dinner varies for me. I eat alot of chicken & cheese though. I snack on beef Jerky, string cheese, Atkins Protein Bars, lots of nuts or a tablespoon of Peanut Butter on apple slices, dried fruit or sugar free italian ice are some examples. I'm very lucky I can tolerate anything I try. Besides smaller portions, i wouldn't even know I had the sleeve. I track everything i eat and keep my Protein 60-70 grams and 900-1000 calories. I would add more calories and more of a variety. Good Luck ;)

After my surgery on Dec 10th I didn't lose anything but 4 lbs for the first three weeks and that my dear was just my stomach that was removed (I got the lab report on my stomach I wanted to know how much it weighed).

Thanks for posting this--I've been wondering how much the portion of the removed stomach weighs!