Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My poor experience with A Lighter Me

I still think its a sad day at VST that this woman

(The op) posted her experience and is getting slammed by all these people still....

Let her words stand. This was her experience.

I noticed one of the girls here that gave the most grief to this woman (the op) posted her glowing review of her experience on a new thread..

No one went over there and tried to belittle her experience. At this point I feel so sorry for anyone trying to research Mexico because of all the questions about who's real and who's just a paid flunky trying to drum up business by slamming others...

This whole debacle reminds me of teenagers and a team Edward va team Jacob debate.

I know the pro-Mexico contingent is strong here and that's great for them.

But there is no fing way I would go there for surgery. If something goes wrong, you're on your own. There are too many variables and considering how rabid people get over the issue it really makes it hard to know how many have had bad experiences who are afraid to talk.

Hmm.

Sorry you had a difficult time. I hope you are able to fibd an affordable bariatric program at home for your nutritional follow-up s.

Had surgery in Mexico in August and going back in September for Tummy Tuck, boob lift, Lipo and Butt lift and I will go back in 10 years for a facelift. I am no coordinator I will assure you. The care is first rate.

This whole debacle reminds me of teenagers and a team Edward va team Jacob debate.

I know the pro-Mexico contingent is strong here and that's great for them.

But there is no fing way I would go there for surgery. If something goes wrong' date=' you're on your own. There are too many variables and considering how rabid people get over the issue it really makes it hard to know how many have had bad experiences who are afraid to talk.

Hmm.

Sorry you had a difficult time. I hope you are able to fibd an affordable bariatric program at home for your nutritional follow-up s.[/quote']

The pro Mexico contingent is very strong here because its a Mexico forum lol

I've heard MANY people say, that the care they received in Mexico far surpasses what they have received in Canada and the US. I'm flying all the way from New Zealand to Mexico for mine. I had a number of Dr's willing to operate all over the world but I have a friend who went to TJ 3 months ago and had a great experience. Little glitches happen ... And it was little. I'm sure at the time is seemed much scarier but looking back I think she said she would do it all again. For the tens of hundreds of great posts this was 1 not so good one. I don't mind those odds

I can assure you, it is human nature to report negativity way before something positive. I have come across a lot of different experiences on this forum. Maybe you were never faced with having to make the decision to have surgery in Mexico, some of us did have to consider this option and were very happy with our results. This person wanted to share her experience, HER experience as she keeps trying to say. We all support others going to Mexico because we know first hand that the care is excellent and the surgeons are very experienced. Please remember, often your opinion is only as valid as your situation allows it to be.

And here I come in the 9th inning to throw my opinion in long past anyone's desire to hear it :P

OP, even though I think you were unsubscribing, I am so sorry that you had a rough experience. And in some ways, probably a tougher experience in this thread! Lol I think people sharing a negative experience is important for all of us. Others sharing their experience, positive and negative, is the way that many of us (including me months ago) start deciding on a surgeon and coordinating company. I'm sorry for the negative reaction, it was not appropriate and unfair.

But I also think its unfair for us to "attack the attacker" the way she was after her post as well. Did she go too far with the "shame on you" part of her comment? Totally, but she also acknowledged that later in the thread. It was a bit presumptuous to say that she knew why the OP wasn't called back, but I can at least understand why she did, IF she really believed that was what happened, and that it would help the OP to at least understand why she wasn't called back by that particular person. I am NOT defending what/how she said it. But, I think we all get a little defensive of Medical Tourism in general, and the company we are so happy with especially, so I do understand her motivation.

I see the thought behind thinking she may be, but I don't believe she is an employee. I think she is defensive and reacted emotionally without realizing how it would be taken. Instead of having a civil conversation (like I think Amanda and Laura tried to do) with her, she was attacked right back, causing her to lash out as the thread went on instead of resolving the issues with her post and just comparing experiences, which would have actually been productive!

We are all defensive of our experiences. Good or bad. They are our own and we want to share them and defend them. I remember a controversial thread started by Rollargirl (the troublemaker :P ) about Medical Tourism in India. As a patient of Indian medical tourism, I got very defensive when others bashed it without hesitation or experience. I was passionate about my positive experience and probably took it a little too far. Not THIS far lol but I at least understand the feeling.

The OP was fair in how she shared her experience, the "attack poster" wasn't, but later acknowledged the worst part of her post, but the attacks to her continued.

This is a great forum. Many people talk about the overwhelming bickering/negativity. I tend to disagree with that. Is there bickering? Yes. Are posts sometimes met with more negativity than needed? Sure. But I think it's a product of everyone being so passionate about this process. And for that, I am actually thankful. I know I'm dealing with people who care deeply about the topic at hand. And given time, 80% of those threads tend to find peace... It just may be 10 pages in ;)

Dr verboonen and my coordinator Sheri Burke were the same way! I have called, sent emails...nothing. Not one word. The last I've heard from them was when I got dumped off 6 hrs early at the hotel in San Diego in which I spent the day on the lobby couch because their weren't any rooms available. I really need to write a review on here.

I used dr. verboonen and Sheri Burke in Cancun, and had a good experience. As of matter of fact, I sent her an email asking for some info (nine months post-op) and she got back to me within minutes. Sorry you had bad experience....

I used Dr. verboonen and Sheri Burke in Cancun, and had a good experience. As of matter of fact, I sent her an email asking for some info (nine months post-op) and she got back to me within minutes. Sorry you had bad experience....

Also I wanted to say to DawnDenise, I don't think it's normal to bleed through your bandages, clothes and bedsheets from a hospital room. I hope that someone checks on you ASAP!

And here I come in the 9th inning to throw my opinion in long past anyone's desire to hear it :P

OP' date=' even though I think you were unsubscribing, I am so sorry that you had a rough experience. And in some ways, probably a tougher experience in this thread! Lol I think people sharing a negative experience is important for all of us. Others sharing their experience, positive and negative, is the way that many of us (including me months ago) start deciding on a surgeon and coordinating company. I'm sorry for the negative reaction, it was not appropriate and unfair.

But I also think its unfair for us to "attack the attacker" the way she was after her post as well. Did she go too far with the "shame on you" part of her comment? Totally, but she also acknowledged that later in the thread. It was a bit presumptuous to say that she knew why the OP wasn't called back, but I can at least understand why she did, IF she really believed that was what happened, and that it would help the OP to at least understand why she wasn't called back by that particular person. I am NOT defending what/how she said it. But, I think we all get a little defensive of medical tourism in general, and the company we are so happy with especially, so I do understand her motivation.

I see the thought behind thinking she may be, but I don't believe she is an employee. I think she is defensive and reacted emotionally without realizing how it would be taken. Instead of having a civil conversation (like I think Amanda and Laura tried to do) with her, she was attacked right back, causing her to lash out as the thread went on instead of resolving the issues with her post and just comparing experiences, which would have actually been productive!

We are all defensive of our experiences. Good or bad. They are our own and we want to share them and defend them. I remember a controversial thread started by Rollargirl (the troublemaker :P ) about medical tourism in India. As a patient of Indian medical tourism, I got very defensive when others bashed it without hesitation or experience. I was passionate about my positive experience and probably took it a little too far. Not THIS far lol but I at least understand the feeling.

The OP was fair in how she shared her experience, the "attack poster" wasn't, but later acknowledged the worst part of her post, but the attacks to her continued.

This is a great forum. Many people talk about the overwhelming bickering/negativity. I tend to disagree with that. Is there bickering? Yes. Are posts sometimes met with more negativity than needed? Sure. But I think it's a product of everyone being so passionate about this process. And for that, I am actually thankful. I know I'm dealing with people who care deeply about the topic at hand. And given time, 80% of those threads tend to find peace... It just may be 10 pages in ;)

[/quote']

Hahahahah I'm changing my name on here to "the trouble maker"!!!!

Ps ... You did not in the slightest take it too far? Lol

I went through A Lighter Me and had an excellent experience. My coordinator was Janese and she would respond to my emails at 11pm at night. She was amazing. In fact she has checked in since the surgery to see how I was doing. My surgeon was Dr. Lopez and Dr. Ortiz took out my drain tube. They, too, were amazing. I also found that Abraham and Eduardo were overly accommodating. They took my friend who joined me on the trip wherever he wanted to go. As a result, I tipped them well.

I am sorry you had a bad experience but I believe it was an isolated one. I would hate to see their excellent reputation suffer because of a unique experience.

Jay

Thanks to all for your concern and well wishes. Dr. Lopez did come to the hotel and removed my drain yesterday after 4 pm (by that time' date=' I had soaked through another hand towel). I'd spoken to him by phone earlier In the day and he'd assured me that the excessive draining was normal for some patients, so I felt better about that, though I was still a bit chagrined that the dressing wasn't changed before I left the hospital.

As for the treatment by ALM, the Patient Coordinator contacted me to express her dismay at my earlier post. She claims my review was unfair because she was only unavailable for an hour. I disagree. My issue started the night before and when I contacted the driver as instructed, I felt that he either didn't comprehend my concern or didn't take it seriously. What's more troubling to me is that it took the patient coordinator more than two hours to get back to me and she did so only after I sent her a strongly worded text message. She claims that she knew about my concerns and had been on the phone all morning dealing with it. Why not pick up the phone and let me know that? She certainly found time to trade a number of text messages with me yesterday to tell me what she thought of my post.

Otherwise, I feel great! I actually went out yesterday evening and did a bit of shopping with some of the other ALM clients. I have internal stitches that will dissolve so no problems there. I feel so good, in fact, I'm thinking of walking (slowly and gently, of course) on the treadmill in the hotel's gym later today.

I'm glad to be past the issue with the drain. Dr Ortiz will be back at the hotel today to go over some post-op instructions. I CAN'T WAIT to be headed back to Atlanta tomorrow. Would I do this again? Absolutely and without hesitation. Would I do it with ALM? Probably not. Just like with ALM, I've heard some great things and some bad things about some of the other medical tourism companies. No company can be perfect all the time, and everyone's experience is different. But I'm still uncomfortable with the fact that I am 2,500 miles from home and when I had a concern about my health I felt alone and abandoned by the people I paid to get me through this. To me that's inexcusable. Others might feel differently.

Thanks again for your comments and concerns, and good luck to all of you whose surgery is on the horizon.[/quote']

I think this web site should be a warning to ALL doctors.....word travels fast and bad news even faster. This should make them all better doctors and staffers. I won't be going to ALM just because of the hassle and run around you got. Thanks for sharing.

I think this web site should be a warning to ALL doctors.....word travels fast and bad news even faster. This should make them all better doctors and staffers. I won't be going to ALM just because of the hassle and run around you got. Thanks for sharing.

Bravo,

This is very important! Instead of starting a turf war over competing coordinators and patients this should of just been a stand alone review of one persons experience.. The coordinator should of taken it like that and then thought of ways to improve upon her performance.

It really did not help this company to have people come and try and tear the OP down.

This behavior did nothing but make a already tough decision of who to trust even harder.

I had surgery April 8th with Lopez (ALM) I was told Ortiz/Lopez was doing surgery but that wasn't the case, it was just Lopez.. I had a horrible experience getting in my IV as i never have before, having a reaction to medicine by a nurse that gave me med too fast, and that same nurse not answering when my bed broke in the middle of the night,, other than that I am happy with my surgery, the stay at The Marriott and Abraham & Eduardo, Janese still answers my questions but all n all once you get back to the states you are on your own as we know going in. I'm not a complainer ever nor negative and will not be commenting on this site again, too much drama , but I feel I owe it to the newcomers to share about my experience whether good or bad

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I read another very disturbing review of A Lighter Me/ Dr. Lopez/hospital issue yesterday' date=' and it really helped me take them off the table as an option for VSG. I pray for your speedy recovery and your safe return. Please keep us up to date as to the "end" of your story.[/quote']

Where is this story???