Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Organic Food Lables (Poll for school paper)

To be certified as "Organic" food should be ...  

1 member has voted

1. 1. To be certified as "Organic" food should be ...

• Food made with 95% organic ingredients
    • Food made with 100% organic ingredients
    • Food made mostly with organic materials but with some synthetic materiels during the process
    • Organic foods are no healthier than regular food.

Hi Everyone. I am working on my final paper to complete a graduate certificate in Public and Non Profit Management.

The topic of my paper is based on the controversy regarding organic foods and how they are labeled.

I was hoping i could get some feedback from my bandster friends.

Since we are eating a healthier lifestyle, does that mean a more "organic" lifestyle?

Do you buy organic foods? (Why) What?

Do you believe organic foods are healthier than "normal foods"? (Why?)

Do you only look for the USDA Certified organic label?

Thank you!

Sonia

I buy organic fruit and vegetables. They taste soooooo much better, they last better and I am not poisoning my family with pesticides, waxes and other muck. It is much much healthier for the environment, its sustainable and natural.

I would buy totally organic as much as possible but it is just too expensive. I cant afford organic meat and organic packaged foods and organic cleaning products as well as the fruit and veg. As it is it costs an arm and a leg and means we have to do without other things.

As to healthier - I do think they are slightly healthier but not as much as they are touted to be. Its more the environmental aspect to it and what they dont contain.

We have an organic supermarket chain here called Macro Wholefoods and I've bought there before only to have the produce go rotten within days -it may be organically grown but its treated like standard produce and cold stored and is not fresh off the tree when you get it. I dont support that, organic should be supporting the small farmers and helping them to make a living and become stronger, not some huge superprofit supermarket chain. So I order and have home delivered from a small supplier.

Hi Everyone. I am working on my final paper to complete a graduate certificate in Public and Non Profit Management.

The topic of my paper is based on the controversy regarding organic foods and how they are labeled.

Since we are eating a healthier lifestyle, does that mean a more "organic" lifestyle?

Thank you!

Sonia

I do equate more organic with healthier and buy some fruits and vegetables that are organic. I don't buy as much as I would like to because the grocery stores have limited supplies of organic produce and it is priced very high compared to conventional. The stores I prefer, like Whole Foods ( also known as "Whole Paycheck") are not easy or convenient for me to get to. This will change in the fall when they complete the Whole Foods out where I live.

To me, organic foods if grown under strict organic conditions, are more "live" or more nutrient dense than conventional. I look for the label but Iook at who is selling the product more. Hope this helps.

Jo Ann

Thank you!

Sonia

I live in a small town in southern Indiana so there isn't much available here in terms of selection. We do have a great farmers market here from May until October and I shop there for most of my produce during the season. We also have a large Amish community in our area and they grow organicly as well. In winter I just do the best I can.

I agree with the others. It is more to me about supporting local farmers and using sustainable and earth friendly choices. A local community development group I belong to is now working on opening a food co op this year. Our emphasis will be on supporting the local farmers and organic food.< /p>

hugs...cat

I always buy organic dairy products, sometimes veggies and fruits if they're on sale. They definitely taste better and I feel like I'm helping the farmers by buying stuff with fair trade label. I remember seeing the USDA label, but I don't look for it specifically...just if it says "organic". I should start looking more closely! I also try to buy things without hydrogenated oils so I find them at Wild Oats. We don't have a Whole Foods out here yet, soon I hope.

I buy organic, and local dairy that uses no hormones. The thing that makes me mad is how lables can say natural and be as little as ten percent natural. The other thing is how they can say whole grain and have a majority of processed flour, just because they use a little whole grain they can say whole grain.

Now I know I have to look for 100 percent whole grain products. It really does make a difference in how your body uses the food, I believe anyway.

And I like the taste better!

About 8 years ago I was on a health kick and decided to start buying natural, organic foods. I went to a local store and loaded up. I left my kids with a friend and went to work. I took one of the "organic" Cookies and left one with them. My friend called me in a panic and told me not to eat the cookie -- she had broken hers in half and there were worms inside. Of course I would never have broken mine, but rather just taken a big worm-filled bite. It was at that point that I decided that I preferred pesticides to worms or other unknown critters in my food! I know this isn't everyone's experience and I have a very good friend who swears by organic food, but that incident scarred me.

Worms in packaged food is not acceptable - I've never had that happen. But produce - yes you have to wash it well and forget buying nice clean scrubbed potatoes, you have to get to work in the kitchen sink!

We have an organic foods restauraunt and store right across the street from work. Everytime I eat something there it costs around $18 for my meal and then I always get sick. I think I need my preservatives etc.

However, they do have this real licorice stuff that is to die for. Usually I can eat a whole bag of black licorice but with this stuff I can only eat a half of one. they call em tank trax.