Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved in MX Florence Hospital with Dr. Garcia

In February 2013 I started looking into vertical sleeve surgery. I lurked and read other peoples experiences. I contacted pretty much all the companies and got replys from all. I chose Ready4Achange because I liked how Alma explained things and how she was not pushy and always answered my questions promptly. I originally contacted her about Dr Perez so I would not have such a long flight but after researching the other Dr. Garcia in Tijuana. I knew he was the one. So I got all my paperwork and made my deposit and set a date. A week before surgery I got an email saying I could change from MI Doctor to florence if I wanted to. After researching Florence I decided to go with Florence. Mainly because of the nurse call button. Even though I am a redneck southern girl. I just didnt see myself yelling out for a nurse. Also It seemed people were having to wait a while once they got there. I hate anticipation. I paid $4700 plus airfare. I could have went with a more expensive doctor. I know some say you get what you pay for but I paid less and got the best. I honestly think Dr Garcia could charge more and is a very good surgeon. He has carefully picked his team that I would entrust my life with. Once I met them it was amazing at how well they compliment one another and work together. Like a well oiled machine. Dr Garcia and his team truly care their patients. The ready4achange group are out of this world. If you need anything they are right on it and happy to help.

March 28th-I left for Tijuana MX to have vertical sleeve surgery. I flew into airport and called Samuel and he called me back within 10 minutes and was at airport to pick me up in 10 more minutes. He was a sweetheart. I was not scared at all he was very informative on ride to Marriott. We arrive at Marriott Samuel made sure we were checked and and called Rosie to find out when we could expect her before he left. Rosie showed up in my room within an hour and answered any questions and explained what was going to happen and what time to be ready in the morning. She gave me a big hug before leaving. Which was so comforting being there alone. The marriott staff was very nice and the room was beautiful. So I just relaxed and got myself prepared for surgery.

March 29th- Me and Pretty in Pink were downstairs at 6:00AM for catch shuttle to Florence Hospital. We arrived at Hospital probally about 7AM. We met Melissa and she showed us to our room after explaining some things to us. Once in my room the man came to draw blood and install iv. I got in my gown and a lady came and put on my surgical hose. The pre/post doctor came and did the EKG. Everything was moving really fast. Which was good. I didnt have time to sit around and worry. Dr. Grafias, Dr Velasco, and Dr Cabrera came in to meet and talk to me. They were all so nice and made me feel so at ease and confident I was in good hands. Then Dr. Garcia came in and drew me a colored picture explaining everything and answering all my questions. He told me I was first and it would only be 10 minutes. I told him to take his time with me in surgery and he just laughed and said he would. I am so impressed with Dr Garcia and his team. So they rolled a bed in room and transferred me to OR. I then had to slide onto OR table. The team was all busy doing what they do and I was out. I woke up in my room in my bed. I worried about someone waking me up saying "you gotta get up and move to your bed" but NO. I woke up in my room in my bed with gas pain in my chest.The nurse was there and was putting meds in my IV. Once I felt stable enough I sat up on side of bed and then went for a walk.. I didnt feel pain from the incisions or drain. Just the gas pain in chest. So I slept with heating pad laying on my chest the whole time. It helped to sit up. Dr Velesco came into check on me. I went for a walk and when I got back I started dry heaving. It hurt!!! So I sat on side of bed and cried. I cry when I feel bad. Parker and Rdoactv (Patients) stopped in to comfort me. Which made me feel so much better. They assured me it would get better. It did!! SO Slept and walked the rest of the day and night. Later that night a lady showed up with ice chips. The nurses were in like clock work with my meds or if I rang the call button. They do have washclothes here. Also Dr. Garcia called my husband when my surgery was finished. SO Sweet.

March 30th- Day after surgery. I felt better and was still getting up to do my walks. They have a pretty garden out front you can walk outside to get some fresh air. Plus it motivates you to walk farther and more. The pain was just soreness that I expected from surgery. I did throw up a little today but not to much and didnt hurt as bad as the dry heaves. The nurse told me I could take a shower and I would be going for my chest xray and leak test. The girl that does the xrays doesnt speak much english. But you just gotta laugh and figure out what she wants you to do. You have to lay flat on table and she holds a cup with a straw and you have to drink it. Dont take to long drinking it cause my friend Deborah had to drink it twice cause it had already went through by the time she finished. (Poor thing). I kept trying to tell the girl I wanted to drink mine sitting up she kept shaking head no.(oh well). It was not to awful bad and I thought we had to drink a lot but it wasnt to much. Then a lady brought juice, tea and Jello. Dr Velesco came in to check on me. Then Dr. Zavalza came in and explained he was filling in for Dr Garcia cause of the Easter Holiday. Which was fine cause I trust Dr Garcias team totally. Dr. Zavalza sat on side of my bed and just talked and told me how well my surgery went. We just chit chatted. He is a very good doctor also and really makes you feel cared for and a cutie too. If he ever goes out on his own. He will be a good choice too. Then about 6pm the nurse came in with the blue stuff for the drainage leak test. It was a small amount and not to awful. We had apple juice, tea and jello again. The nurse will give you a bottle of Water if you want. Melissa also come in to check to see how things are going during your stay. She left a bag with phone numbers and gatorade.

March 31st- 6AM the nurse comes in and tells me to get in shower and get ready for Dr. Velesco to come remove drain so I could be discharged. We just walked around and talked waiting on the Dr. She came to remove drain. WOW!! It didnt hurt but its not something I ever want to feel again. I was like hurry hurry and she was like I can put it back in if you want .NO Thanks!!They give you a bag full of gauze, tape, anitbiotics,pain meds, and some kind of mylanta stuff. You may need a pill crusher to crush some of your meds like the anitbiotic. It being a holiday the hotel shuttle was off work. ???? So they contracted a taxi to take us to hotel. The driver took up along the beach for a tour. Really sweet of him. So me and deborah decided to catch a taxi up to the Walmart to get us some more pain meds to take home. Not that i needed then. I just got them for just in case cause you dont have to have a prescription in MX. I got some juice,jello, and Soup mix ( I didnt like Marriotts, Im not a soup person). SO after that venture I was tired and just kicked back in hotel room the rest of the evening. I would make rounds in the halls to get my walking in esspecially after drinking something.

April 1st- I didnt feel like going anywhere this day. I didnt feel bad but just wanted to rest for the trip home on 2nd. So that afternoon I sent down to the store in the Marritott and got me a pinepple and coconut fruit popsicle. It was delicious and hit the spot. I know it says no cold or hot stuff but cold works for me. Deborah went to get her nails done. So I called Pretty in Pink and she came down and we sat out by the pool and relaxed until time for Dr Luna to come remove our staples. That evening Dr Luna and Rosie came to remove the staples. It didnt hurt and he is a sweety also. He shows you how to do your dressings. You will also need some waterproof bandages once you get home. If you wanna go ahead and get them. They are to cover your drain hole. You leave it on in shower remove it after shower and do your dressings and put a new one on drain hole. My other incisions were pretty much closed by this day but I still babied them. Rosie and Dr Luna gave me a big hug and said good bye.

April 2nd (4 days post op) We were down stairs at 6am for Samuel to take us to airport. It only took 2 to 3 hours to get to airport. I crossed border with Birth Certificate and ID with no problem. I was tired from flying all day and rest the next day at home.

8 days post op- I feel fine. Its hard getting all my Protein in and liquids. I manage 50g a day. Im working on it. Thanks goodness when I got home I read I could have prevacid. I went straight to store and got me some. It made a world of difference in the heartburn. I am eating cream or chciken soup, jello,pudding, Protein Shakes, sugar free popsicles. The popsicles are gonna be my lifesaver as for not getting dehydrated. I though about freezing my protein shakes into fudgesicles. Also I couldnt handle pouring my antibiotic on food, I am swollowing it. I am not taking the pain meds either. I think they give me heartburn. I do wish I could have some mashed potatoes or a cracker. I hope my post helps to answer some questions some of the up coming sleevers have. I am so glad its over and I am on the Losers Bench. I know its a long post but thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Heres to a new me!!!

pineapple and coconut fruit popsicle 3 days after surgery? OMG isn't ignorance bliss!

Oh gosh, thank you so much for posting this. My surgery with Dr. Garcia is in two weeks, and every single post I read about him is more and more reassuring. I hope you heal well and very quickly, and that the weight just melts away :)

pineapple and coconut fruit popsicle 3 days after surgery? OMG isn't ignorance bliss!

Wait is something wrong with that? To my understanding the popsicles count as juice/clear liquid, and are a-okay for immediate post op. I mean, they give you ice chips right away, so the cold can't be an issue.

Congrats on a successful surgery and I'm glad to hear you're recovering well.

Wait is something wrong with that? To my understanding the popsicles count as juice/clear liquid' date=' and are a-okay for immediate post op. I mean, they give you ice chips right away, so the cold can't be an issue.[/quote']

Yes Popsicles are fine. They give them to you at hotel as part of your post op. I was referring to I think cold and hot stuff may not go down as well for some. Whatever works though. Right? Don't wanna get dehydrated. The Popsicles the hotel gives just didnt have enough flavor. The ones at store were more refreshing. They are natural fruit Popsicles.

Yes Popsicles are fine. They give them to you at hotel as part of your post op. I was referring to I think cold and hot stuff may not go down as well for some. Whatever works though. Right? Don't wanna get dehydrated. The Popsicles the hotel gives just didnt have enough flavor. The ones at store were more refreshing. They are natural fruit Popsicles.

Luigi's sugar free Italian Ice has been great for me.

Where is Florence Hospital ? Its in Tijuana?

Yes it's in Tijuana . Nice place.

Oh it wasn't you I was questioning, Cindy. Another poster, Amazon13, seemed to indicate above that you had done something that was frowned upon or unsafe, and I was just inquiring about what the issue was with having a popsicle. Goodness knows I hope I don't have to count popsicles out of the tiny list of things we get to eat :)

I know afrodite82. I don't know what the other person was talking about.

Oh it wasn't you I was questioning' date=' Cindy. Another poster, Amazon13, seemed to indicate above that you had done something that was frowned upon or unsafe, and I was just inquiring about what the issue was with having a popsicle. Goodness knows I hope I don't have to count popsicles out of the tiny list of things we get to eat :)[/quote']

I was thinking the same thing!!! Like what's wrong with Popsicles?!?!

Anywho THANK YOU Cindy for this post!!!!